Post-Game Talk: Nicklas Backstrom is a great centre 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
8 years and a blank check to Kuznetsov.

He is running away with the (HFBoards) Selke -award, his +30 are easily leading the NHL (2nd has +24).

Forgot to mention that he's now 2nd in NHL in even-strength points, ahead of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin that both have 3 more games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Defensive thoughts: Orlov + Orpik is a fantastic pairing. This might be the best Orpik has ever looked for the Caps and that's not good for the rest of the league. Schmidt has looked pretty average the last few weeks. Wouldn't mind sitting him and giving Chorney a game or two. Carlson is looking better. Holtby looks bored.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt isn't wearing down a bit. Meanwhile Orpik was over 20 minutes. He's ready.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt isn't wearing down a bit. Meanwhile Orpik was over 20 minutes. He's ready.

I'd ride Orpik and Orlov with hard minutes right now and see how they respond. Schmidt might indeed be wearing down, Carlson is still getting back to form, and Alzner and Nisky ran themselves into the ground when 74/44 were out. 9 and 44 are playing with a ton of confidence and they mesh really well. Let's see how they do with tougher assignments and more minutes. This is a nice "problem" to have.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've got to say what I've said elsewhere about Holtby and his supposed "bad" game. He made save after spectacular save in the first period, keeping the Caps in the game so they didn't have to come back in the 2nd or 3rd. And the majority of quality shots in the 2nd period were from the Devils, not the Caps. Of the three goals, only one--the last--is one that, yeah, Holts would have liked back. The other two were pretty dang hard goals to stop (especially the second).

So, what I'm reading is that a series of spectacular saves in the first, stopping a crap-ton of quality shots in the second, plus an inability to stop two fluky goals, one an amazing shot that just about no goaltender could have stopped, and yeah, one soft goal in the third, plus more great saves = Holtby having a bad night. I can't say I agree.

I actually think the third one was the one that wasn't his fault. The first one he significantly overplayed it and as a result was out of position, there's no excuse to let in the second one, and the third one caught him off guard with the deflection.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd ride Orpik and Orlov with hard minutes right now and see how they respond. Schmidt might indeed be wearing down, Carlson is still getting back to form, and Alzner and Nisky ran themselves into the ground when 74/44 were out. 9 and 44 are playing with a ton of confidence and they mesh really well. Let's see how they do with tougher assignments and more minutes. This is a nice "problem" to have.

find me a caps d that doesn't mesh with oprik. he is also fresh which presents as incredibly strong against the worn down league. ive always said that wear and tear is why Ov runs roughshod over the league this time of year. he doesn't wear down at the same rate.

A fresh Orpik is a huge advantage come playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
find me a caps d that doesn't mesh with oprik. he is also fresh which presents as incredibly strong against the worn down league. ive always said that wear and tear is why Ov runs roughshod over the league this time of year. he doesn't wear down at the same rate.

A fresh Orpik is a huge advantage come playoffs.

I don't think he'd play as well with Alzner. Carlson, Nisky, Orlov, and Schmidt all like to jump in the play. Alzner-Orpik would be an interesting duo. Can't imagine they'd have great possession metrics.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Have we tried Orpik/Carlson since Orpik came back? I'd still like to see that before making any decisions.

IMO that's coming soon. Orpik dominating and Carlson struggling. I think Trotz will want to reunite them before the playoffs. It's one of the more interesting roster decisions...Trotz knows he needs a top of his game Carlson to win a Cup IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think he'd play as well with Alzner. Carlson, Nisky, Orlov, and Schmidt all like to jump in the play. Alzner-Orpik would be an interesting duo. Can't imagine they'd have great possession metrics.

ok...1. I should have made that a choice among the rd options. still....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I actually think the third one was the one that wasn't his fault. The first one he significantly overplayed it and as a result was out of position, there's no excuse to let in the second one, and the third one caught him off guard with the deflection.

The second one is tougher save because of that 1st goal. He knew he overplayed on that 1st goal, and tried to play it safe there, which cost him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad