Nick Suzuki vs Josh Norris

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are going to be better center than all center in Ottawa. If Stutzle don't play C. ;)

I mean, Josh Norris at 21 is better than both so...if I'm a betting man I go with Norris given they're all the same age or within a year of each other.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I mean, Josh Norris at 21 is better than both so...if I'm a betting man I go with Norris given they're all the same age or within a year of each other.

Age shouldn't be much of a factor here . Just used as a crutch typically.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Suzuki got 2 goals, 1 assist tonight... So you say i don't know my hockey? loll

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Josh Norris. For all the flak Laffs fans get for overeating everyone, Montreal fans take the biscuit. Kotkiniemi is a 3rd line centre like Girgensons and Suzuki is OK, but not at Josh's level.

Came into this thread for the entertainment but leaving with a headache.

Why are Leafs’ fans overeating?

Who’s Kotkiniemi?

Happy to hear Suzuki is okay though.

Reactions: Habano

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Knowing how much Norris' two-way game in specific has grown exponentially over the season is something you cant pass on.

He went from being a rookie that got abused on most nights, and 40 games later hes in full beast mode and thriving at being the #1C (on a team that goes power-on-power for preferred matchups). Hes going to spend his entire career matching up against the leagues top centers and be very good at it. Hes got the IQ and fantastic positioning, the elite skating, and the God-given athletic talents (he won like 5 separate events at the draft combine) to battle with the best in the world as an elite two-way centerman.

I used to think his offensive toolbox was solid but not spectacular, and that he was always going to be limited to a 2/3 role in the NHL. But his wrist shot is an absolute laser beam and elite NHL caliber, and has the one-timer ability as well. And while his vision may not be what we would call "elite" in the #1 playmaking center definition, its still really damn good.

His hockey IQ is undoubtedly much better than he was given credit for prior to this year. And there isnt nearly a big enough gap between Suzuki and him offensively to make up for Norris' superior defensive acumen.

Reactions: Leaves34

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why should it not matter how many centers are producing at the rate you described to compare league wide. Seems like a very argument you are trying to present. However my intention was not to derail the thread. In my mind a 70 pt center is a first line player . How many 70 pt players are there period in a typical season?

You need to revisit the stat page.

There are about to be 96 first line forwards..

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You need to revisit the stat page.

There are about to be 96 first line forwards..

How did you arrive at this number? Someone did the math already and figured out there was on average 27 70 pt players per full year ( not half year or pace , actually achieving the number) over past 5 seasons.

QuagmireGiggity

Mar 17, 2018
How did you arrive at this number? Someone did the math already and figured out there was on average 27 70 pt players per full year ( not half year or pace , actually achieving the number) over past 5 seasons.

There’s 32 teams, 3 players on a first line = 96. My guess: there’s 27 high-end 1st line, around 35 first line regular and the rest are by defaulted/low-end 1st line.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

32 teams X 3 first line forwards...

You know, the ACTUAL number of first line forwards, not some arbitrary number that is easier or harder to hit depending on scoring that year...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There’s 32 teams, 3 players on a first line = 96. My guess: there’s 27 high-end 1st line, around 35 first line regular and the rest are by defaulted/low-end 1st line.

Exactly. And it all evens out. Some team might have 4-5 top 96 players while some lesser team might have one or none.

But that makes a lot more sense than picking some arbitrary number...like 80 points or top 30 players and saying the rest aren't first liners. That doesn't make sense.

They may not be best 1/3 of first liners but they're still first liners.

There should be half as many first liners as there are top 6 players... It's simple math really.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I don’t understand takes such as these. Norris has yet to get sniff of the playoffs. Suzuki played in his first playoffs last year and was an absolute beast, more so than his stat line indicates.

Norris takes less risks plays big and physical. Significantly higher face-off percentage overall better possession player.

They are already pretty similar players at the same age but with Norris playing in his rookie year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When Karlsson was clearly the superior player but Canadians fans were convinced otherwise?
Yeah, I too see that in this poll.

Early on in their career people (Sens fans) believed Karlsson was far and away the better of the two, turns out they both split time from 12 to 18 as the best Ds in the league. Clear top 2 in the league for that period and sens fans didnt want to hear it in 2011.

Also its up in the air who was actually the best, Subban gave up a bit of offense but made up quite a bit physically and defensively. You dont get compared to Bobby Orr by Don Cherry if youre not the top dog, especially not in Subbans "situation" when Cherry is concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad