Nick Suzuki vs Josh Norris

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Apologies if this has been done already. They're very comparable players, same age, similar production. Suzuki has been in the NHL for an extra year, he shined in the playoffs last year and established himself as one of the best forwards on the team, seems to have the better offensive instincts despite their production being very similar . Norris is having an awesome rookie season being played in all situations and gaining the trust of coach D.J. Smith, he's showing the characteristics of being a tremendously useful top line center. Which one of these young studs would you take and who will be the better player in the future?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I went with Suzuki. I think he has a higher ceiling - I can see him as a #1 centre, whereas I see Norris topping out as a #2 centre.

Norris is a beast, though. He’ll be a very good #2 centre. Great faceoff stats for a rookie, and does little things right every game.

Reactions: PatrickMcC

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's pretty close.

I'm pretty bullish on Norris, have been for some time, as I think he has the complete package and thinks the game like a seasoned veteran already.

A high-end ceiling type projection for him would be someone like Mark Scheifele IMO.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I can't in good conscious vote. Too jaded but this is one of those spots where you are basically flipping a two headed coin. You're gonna win no matter which side drops because they're both heads above tails

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Suzuki, when you watch them both play he just looks like the more dynamic player out there.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Suzuki, when you watch them both play he just looks like the more dynamic player out there.

That's what I thought too, a dozen games ago. But I've noticed Norris become more and more noticeable with nice plays as hes putting up almost a ppg pace in his last dozen or so games while playing against top lines while being a rookie. Now I'm starting to get more excited about what he can be in year 2 or 3 or 4 of his career once he knows what he can and can't do at the NHL level. Looks like a bigger and stronger Kyle Turris. So a Turris-heavy ;)

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Norris for me. I slightly prefer his defensive play ( though Suzuki is pretty solid as well ) and his shot seems to have more potential. Suzuki maybe better iq /playmaking. Does one have a big edge skating? I know Suzuki wasn't rated as a good skater in his draft year but that clearly is behind him. Pretty compelling poll as it should be fairly close/comparable . Something that you also can't measure; he just feels like a gamer. You just get the feeling he's going to beat you .

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I went with Suzuki. I think he has a higher ceiling - I can see him as a #1 centre, whereas I see Norris topping out as a #2 centre.

Norris is a beast, though. He’ll be a very good #2 centre. Great faceoff stats for a rookie, and does little things right every game.
Honestly, i dont think either will be bonafide 1C's, and that isnt an insult to either. some people just dont know what it takes to be a legit 1C.

I voted Suzuki but i think both will be very good 2C's, 60-70 point guys.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Honestly, i dont think either will be bonafide 1C's, and that isnt an insult to either. some people just dont know what it takes to be a legit 1C.

I don't disagree with most of what you said there but that's basically 1st line production. How many 70 pt centers are there? More than 30 in a typical (full) year?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I don't disagree with most of what you said there but that's basically 1st line production. How many 70 pt centers are there? More than 30 in a typical (full) year?
that shouldnt matter. and a certain teams' 1C and a bonafide 1C are different things.

70 points for a center is low end 1st line production and depending on your overall game it could propel you into 1C status.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
that shouldnt matter. and a certain teams' 1C and a bonafide 1C are different things.

70 points for a center is low end 1st line production and depending on your overall game it could propel you into 1C status.

Why should it not matter how many centers are producing at the rate you described to compare league wide. Seems like a very argument you are trying to present. However my intention was not to derail the thread. In my mind a 70 pt center is a first line player . How many 70 pt players are there period in a typical season?

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Norris has better size, better skating, better goal scoring, better physical play.

Suzuki has better hands, better vision and is more ''naturally'' skilled.

Both are extremely intelligent and outstanding two way players.

Ottawa gladly sticks with Josh Norris.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

I was going to say Norris would be a high end #2 and Suzuki a lower-end #1. I think Suzuki could get by as a #1 guy in the future but I’m not sure you’d win a Cup with him as your best centre

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
42 forwards who have played at least 23 games this year would be on pace for 70 points. But injuries would cut that number down over a full season.

Between 2015-2019, there were 27.4 forwards per year that hit 70 points.

So in a typical season there are about 27 70 point forwards, let alone centres. Yet a 70 pt center isn't a 1st liner somehow?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Josh Norris. For all the flak Laffs fans get for overeating everyone, Montreal fans take the biscuit. Kotkiniemi is a 3rd line centre like Girgensons and Suzuki is OK, but not at Josh's level.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are going to be better center than all center in Ottawa. If Stutzle don't play C. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad