Confirmed with Link: Nick Suzuki: the 31st captain of history Montreal Canadiens !!

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
My reply was not a f*** off. It was an "I'll learn it, and I expose your double standard for everyone else to see."
Fair enough. I guess the (very mild) disagreement we are having shows how touchy people can be about this subject and how careful S should probably be when asked to address it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The worst part is that Koivu allegedly could speak French. His wife spoke French and he had learnt it, speaking it with her, but opted not to do so publicly, I believe for fear that it might be imperfect and misinterpreted/misrepresented by the vulture media.

Koivu was not perfect, unlike some that seem to put him on a pedestal.

IMO, Koivu was not a great Captain at all. He helped fuel the clique years and unity within the dressing room was tenuous at best while he was Captain.

Yeah, I remember that. Iirc, it was Reechi who came out to say Koivu knew French.

As for the clique thing, it's like that in every lockerroom no matter the captain. I look at what the team did when he was captain and despite the bad team he was on, the overperformed often. That's a sign of a great captain.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
I could care less if none of the players or the org spoke in English. It gets translated and I get the information I need.
Good thing about our world is that different people think different things. I like hearing what the guys have to say in a language I understand. You don't care. (shrug)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good thing about our world is that different people think different things. I like hearing what the guys have to say in a language I understand. You don't care. (shrug)

So we agree there's enough variance that it should be a non-issue as to what language any player speaks regardless of a role.

I don't think you as a fan should have more influence than I do. Nor do I think Legault's opinion should carry more weight than you or i.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
So we agree there's enough variance that it should be a non-issue as to what language any player speaks regardless of a role.

I don't think you as a fan should have more influence than I do. Nor do I think Legault's opinion should carry more weight than you or i.
I'm just saying that some fans who speak french will like it if he speaks french - and there's nothing wrong with that. Part of the joy, for some people, of being a fan is liking the player personally. Others don't care. I think it's a good idea for a captain to be able to speak to the fans in the language they understand. It's not imperative - but it is better than not.
I don't care about Legault's opinion. But he's not the only one who has that opinion. Just saying S should be a little diplomatic when answering questions about this subject.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm just saying that some fans who speak french will like it if he speaks french - and there's nothing wrong with that. Part of the joy, for some people, of being a fan is liking the player personally. Others don't care. I think it's a good idea for a captain to be able to speak to the fans in the language they understand. It's not imperative - but it is better than not.
I don't care about Legault's opinion. But he's not the only one who has that opinion. Just saying S should be a little diplomatic when answering questions about this subject.

Diplomacy is fine but the attention given to it is stupid. If Suzuki wants to learn for the fan base and try to speak french, that's his prerogative. If he doesn't, people should leave him the f*** alone.

I just don't think it matters what language someone says "we gotta get pucks in deep and give 100% each shift" it sucks in every language. Anything pertinent as a major communication will be disseminated in both languages to fans.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Not that I care too much about the language issue, but, speaking as someone who speaks 2 languages very well and a handful of others, I imagine Suzuki has two things going for him when it comes to learning french:

-he seems like a generally smart guy and is well spoken in english. While it may seem counterintuitive, people who are well spoken in one language are generally better linguistically and can therefore pick up other languages more easily

-he probably doesn't have to go far within his family tree to find people that speak another language, and having other languages around the dinner table on holidays etc. also makes it much easier to pick up another language since it opens your mind to alternative syntaxes and parsing

Suzuki was a tremendous choice for captain of the Habs, on and off the ice.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He was on Antichambre the day after he was named captain and the panelists were asking him their questions in French and he was answering in English.

So already there, you see he understands it. He also said he can read French, just needs to practice more on speaking it.

It's only a matter of time before he is able to communicate in French.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Rapala

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
This type of shit is exactly why Huberdeau commented recently that he wasn't sure as a francophone he wanted to play here. It's ridiculous.

Huberdeau would have been a terrible signing, he doesn't fit our window at all. Plus, I can understand why he doesn't want to play in Montréal, he wants to live the jet set life like in a darren star tv show. Montréal rather seems to attract family guys like David Savard; see, Suzuki has a girlfriend, I'm not sure Huberdeau does. Anyway, I think the media is just running away with this story, attracting our attention... Obviously it isn't a fit, but it's more telling about Huberdeau's personality than Montréal as a city.

Reactions: jrom

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was on Antichambre the day after he was named captain and the panelists were asking him their questions in French and he was answering in English.

So already there, you see he understands it. He also said he can read French, just needs to practice more on speaking it.

I'm/not/worried/in/the/least.//He'll/become/more/proficient/than/P.J./Stock/soon/enough.//:laugh:

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

That's a direct dismissal of the team's place in the culture and the market they operate in. I don't particularly care or love it either but to expect the team not to consider it is an absurd delusion. With that said, f*** Legault for that comment.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
That's a direct dismissal of the team's place in the culture and the market they operate in. I don't particularly care or love it either but to expect the team not to consider it is an absurd delusion. With that said, f*** Legault for that comment.

...that isn't true, at least not completely accurate anymore...we all, no matter what language we speak or where we were born, are well aware of and celebrate the Team's place in the History & Culture of Quebecois Canadians and all are also very aware that it is an issue that is an ingrained part of the Habs...the issue many of us have is when it is made out to seem like Priority #1 for the team (almost always from the local Media's point of view), whether it's due to politics or whatnot...the Team's successes/failures should not ever be part of the Language debate and yet it always seems to arise from the ashes and linger like a popcorn fart...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, I remember that. Iirc, it was Reechi who came out to say Koivu knew French.

As for the clique thing, it's like that in every lockerroom no matter the captain. I look at what the team did when he was captain and despite the bad team he was on, the overperformed often. That's a sign of a great captain.
Koivu was an example for his perseverance, but I'm not sold on him being a great captain, by any means. It's not entirely his fault, though, because Gillett saw him as his son and refused to find a better #1C.

That didn't help when trying to make the team better.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Not necessarily. 100% certain he was told the questions beforehand and a screen off camera may well have shown the translated question. Naïve to think Suzuki clearly understood what was being said

Legault commenting on the language of the Canadiens captain is embarrassing. Just as embarrassing as his troisième lien idiotic project. That douche can f*** off.
That's the type of commentary I love on social media. Puffed uo chests telling others to f*** right off. The class of social media...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
...that isn't true, at least not completely accurate anymore...we all, no matter what language we speak or where we were born, are well aware of and celebrate the Team's place in the History & Culture of Quebecois Canadians and all are also very aware that it is an issue that is an ingrained part of the Habs...the issue many of us have is when it is made out to seem like Priority #1 for the team (almost always from the local Media's point of view), whether it's due to politics or whatnot...the Team's successes/failures should not ever be part of the Language debate and yet it always seems to arise from the ashes and linger like a popcorn fart...

It's a couple of old douchebags in the media and opportunistic politicians. The team doesn't operate that way. Even the Drouin trade. Of course they were happy that the guy was French-Canadian (why wouldn't they be? It's good marketing) but obviously they love the player first and foremost. You know why? Because there is a lot of people invested professionally in the success of the Montreal Canadiens. You think some non-prominent guy (i.e, not Bergevin, not Molson) wants to have his name attached to that trade as a pro scout? You think they don't speak up? You think a Habs GM would maintain the respect of his staff, of his players if they ever made move with ethnicity as a priority? It doesn't happen.

Now, that a GM/Head Coach/President or whatever the hell can express themselves at least a little bit in French. Why is that such an issue? The team operates in Quebec where a lot of people outside of Montreal don't speak anything other than French. That's a reality that a billion dollar corporation has to accept, whether you like it or not in whatever unilingual province you hail from.

Reactions: jrom

Jul 6, 2016
It's a couple of old douchebags in the media and opportunistic politicians. The team doesn't operate that way. Even the Drouin trade. Of course they were happy that the guy was French-Canadian (why wouldn't they be? It's good marketing) but obviously they love the player first and foremost. You know why? Because there is a lot of people invested professionally in the success of the Montreal Canadiens. You think some non-prominent guy (i.e, not Bergevin, not Molson) wants to have his name attached to that trade as a pro scout? You think they don't speak up? You think a Habs GM would maintain the respect of his staff, of his players if they ever made move with ethnicity as a priority? It doesn't happen.

Now, that a GM/Head Coach/President or whatever the hell can express themselves at least a little bit in French. Why is that such an issue? The team operates in Quebec where a lot of people outside of Montreal don't speak anything other than French. That's a reality that a billion dollar corporation has to accept, whether you like it or not in whatever unilingual province you hail from.
There was a good article in La Presse yesterday about players and coaches who are working with European teams. Many, many clubs are insisting that they speak already or learn the language of the city-country. One coach has learned 5 or 6 different languages over the course of his career.

In baseball, TO Blue Jays have really put pressure on Vlad Guerrero jr. to learn English. His father never spoke English nor French when he was in MTL, and I think nowhere else either.

Learning a second language or more, never killed anyone.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It's a couple of old douchebags in the media and opportunistic politicians. The team doesn't operate that way. Even the Drouin trade. Of course they were happy that the guy was French-Canadian (why wouldn't they be? It's good marketing) but obviously they love the player first and foremost. You know why? Because there is a lot of people invested professionally in the success of the Montreal Canadiens. You think some non-prominent guy (i.e, not Bergevin, not Molson) wants to have his name attached to that trade a pro scout? You think they don't speak up. You think a Habs GM would maintain the respect of his staff, of his players if they ever made move with ethnicity as a priority? It doesn't happen.

...and this is exactly why it becomes a major debate, because as much as "the Anglos" tend to make it a bigger deal on average than it is, so do "the Francos" downplay its frequency and impact just as often...your response here is pretty much the same response we get every time it's brought up and it's a disingenuous one at best and flat out false at worst...and then the discussion, as it is, goes completely downhill immediately instead of being calmly & rationally debated because we start from old, outdated opinions instead of with a common goal in mind...and so I've said my piece and don't desire to start another feud within the Fanbase...good day to you, sir...

Reactions: Jack Skellington

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There was a good article in La Presse yesterday about players and coaches who are working with European teams. Many, many clubs are insisting that they speak already or learn the language of the city-country. One coach has learned 5 or 6 different languages over the course of his career.

In baseball, TO Blue Jays have really put pressure on Vlad Guerrero jr. to learn English. His father never spoke English nor French when he was in MTL, and I think nowhere else either.

Learning a second language or more, never killed anyone.

Vladdy still uses an interpretator for interviews and literally no one gives a f***.

Reactions: HomaridII

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
...and this is exactly why it becomes a major debate, because as much as "the Anglos" tend to make it a bigger deal on average than it is, so do "the Francos" downplay its frequency and impact just as often...your response here is pretty much the same response we get every time it's brought up and it's a disingenuous one at best and flat out false at worst...and then the discussion, as it is, goes completely downhill immediately instead of being calmly & rationally debated because we start from old, outdated opinions instead of with a common goal in mind...and so I've said my piece and don't desire to start another feud within the Fanbase...good day to you, sir...

I don't even particularly give a f*** if it does happen because it has no real impact on the team. Hence the team being willing to hire Jim Nill ten years ago.

Jul 6, 2016
Vladdy still uses an interpretator for interviews and literally no one gives a f***.
Is it normal that a guy who is spending many hours each day with 20 or 25 teamates speaking one main language (in his case: english) is unable to give an interview after 2-3-4 seasons ? Is the guy hard headed or just dumb ? Vladdy made tons of $$$$ coming from North American fans. Basic coutresy is speak their language. Gary Carter understood that.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
I am a French Canadian and I couldn't care less about Suzuki speaking French. I feel a bit ashamed when I see this topic being brought up. IMHO it's not of anyone's goddam business what language the guy is speaking. But I also know these things do not only happen in Quebec.

Reactions: nicehiss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad