Confirmed with Link: Nick Suzuki: the 31st captain of history Montreal Canadiens !!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I like it. Good kid.
Saw alot of him in minor midget n the OHL. Always stood up and stood out in big games.
But it is mostly a symbolic gesture (and a great honour) but the players in the room know who the leaders are on any team regardless of who gets a letter.
I think he will do a great job.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I like it. Suzuki is even tempered & level headed. His disposition allows others around him to loose their composure and become heated & overtly intense......which I believe is necessary on a winning team.

I really feel he’s going to a special player for us in the next couple of years.
Cheers

Reactions: sandviper

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
From The Athletic today:

What was one thing Shea Weber told you about being captain here that stood out the most?

“He told me to be myself,” Suzuki responded. “You already have the respect of everyone in the room, so you don’t need to change who you are just because you have a ‘C’ on your jersey.”

That sounded to us like quite the compliment, but Suzuki kind of shrugged it off.

“We had talked about it before,” he said.

As it turns out, not long after the Canadiens were eliminated in the Stanley Cup Final by the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2021, Weber and Suzuki had a conversation. It wasn’t clear exactly when, but what’s clear in retrospect is that Weber knew at the time of that conversation that his career was likely over. So this conversation meant something.

He told me then that I would be the next captain of the Montreal Canadiens,” Suzuki said.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wholeheartedly disagree. Players raved about Weber as their leader. Same with Price. No a surprise the team collapse once they were gone and under Ducharme.
Meh...Players were also pretty unanimous in saying fighting plays an important role in the game, which we all know to be false.
Weber has a reputation...I think it was overblown. Nothing really happened where he proved it to be more than that. Even during our Covid run, he just scored once in the POs. Before you tell me that he's a Dman, Markov has been constantly knocked down here because of his production in the POs.

Unlike Weber, Price already won all the individual trophies outside the Conn Smythe. He also had insane winning stats despite low goal-scoring. His reputation was warranted. Not the same for Weber.

I agree. Always felt like Weber just was even though it didn’t make much sense.

I’m not a super fan of this move although I think from a player attribute Nick checks all the boxes, but I would have rather have him another year of development without the distractions. I still think Eddy is the move with the least downside and that’s who I would have gone with here.

I think the fact we are in a position where very little is expected of this Habs team at least for another season, is good. It removes that pressure.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Proves the adage "if you're good enough, you're old enough".

Mr Clutch everywhere he's played and, importantly, presents a clean-cut image. I think he'll be a solid on-ice C and a great ambassador for the club.

Ouf... there's still the ultimate test of time for a habs captain, will he learn and speak French? :sarcasm:

I hated the media for hounding Koivu with this.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Can see him being the first C respected by the majority of the fan base since Koivu.

Gio was meh, Patch was a weird time, Weber wasn't homegrown and short tenure stopgap.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Happy with the choice for going forwarded, disappointed for Gally but he never has the respect if the refs so the right move. Disappointed today all the talk is he has to speak French. Not a Francophone so not sure how important that is, do have francophone friends who couldn’t give a shit if he speaks French or not.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Newly named captain of the Montreal Canadiens, Nick Suzuki is already having to deal with the words of the Premier of Quebec, François Legault. The latter indicated that, in his opinion, the captain of the Habs should imperatively speak French. Asked about the subject, the young 23-year-old striker did not seem worried in the least and he even took the opportunity, by the band, to make a promise to the supporters of the team!

What a stupid comment.
No wonder guys get choked

Reactions: Habs10Habs and SOLR

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ouf... there's still the ultimate test of time for a habs captain, will he learn and speak French? :sarcasm:

I hated the media for hounding Koivu with this.
The worst part is that Koivu allegedly could speak French. His wife spoke French and he had learnt it, speaking it with her, but opted not to do so publicly, I believe for fear that it might be imperfect and misinterpreted/misrepresented by the vulture media.

Koivu was not perfect, unlike some that seem to put him on a pedestal.

Koivu was a great and unlucky captain, like Price was an unlucky HOF. They don't manage or build the teams they were on.
IMO, Koivu was not a great Captain at all. He helped fuel the clique years and unity within the dressing room was tenuous at best while he was Captain.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Newly named captain of the Montreal Canadiens, Nick Suzuki is already having to deal with the words of the Premier of Quebec, François Legault. The latter indicated that, in his opinion, the captain of the Habs should imperatively speak French. Asked about the subject, the young 23-year-old striker did not seem worried in the least and he even took the opportunity, by the band, to make a promise to the supporters of the team!

What a stupid comment.
No wonder guys get choked

The reply to this was so easy. "I'll learn French, I think Mr. Legault should learn proper English so that he can better create wealth in the province"

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
The reply to this was so easy. "I'll learn French, I think Mr. Legault should learn proper English so that he can better create wealth in the province"
Or maybe it's a bad idea to start a war about the french language the minute he becomes captain of the Canadiens? I thought his response was perfect.

Reactions: jrom

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Or maybe it's a bad idea to start a war about the french language the minute he becomes captain of the Canadiens? I thought his response was perfect.

Ain't the 1970s. Cheeky works with Legault.

I wonder why Weber was never asked to speak French that much... everybody was scared of him. Suzuki needs to build that personae that he'll be the MAN.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't disagree. But why alienate anyone by starting a fight? Let Legault make himself look stupid for criticizing S when he doesn't have a clue.

When Legault says things like this he does not make himself look stupid, he's talking to his base. Then if it sees it's working and there is no opposition, it can become a habit. Just a bit of cheeky opposition can change all that "get off my lawn Legault".

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Ain't the 1970s. Cheeky works with Legault.

I wonder why Weber was never asked to speak French that much... everybody was scared of him. Suzuki needs to build that personae that he'll be the MAN.
Suzuki one day will just come to the microphones and say "Aujourd'hui je suis pret a prendre des questions en francais!"

Do it Nick! I want to witness the meltdown...

Reactions: jrom and SOLR

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
When Legault says things like this he does not make himself look stupid, he's talking to his base. Then if it sees it's working and there is no opposition, it can become a habit. Just a bit of cheeky opposition can change all that "get off my lawn Legault".
But he's heard by not just Legault. Personally, I like the captain of my favourite hockey team (Habs) to be able to speak english because that's what I speak. It's hardly surprising that french people in Quebec would like the captain of their favourite team to speak french. To tell Legault to f-off when Legault says he wants S to be able to speak french is also telling a lot of french-speaking fans to f-off at the same time.
S said the right thing IMO.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
But he's heard by not just Legault. Personally, I like the captain of my favourite hockey team (Habs) to be able to speak english because that's what I speak. It's hardly surprising that french people in Quebec would like the captain of their favourite team to speak french. To tell Legault to f-off when Legault says he wants S to be able to speak french is also telling a lot of french-speaking fans to f-off at the same time.

My reply was not a f*** off. It was an "I'll learn it, and I expose your double standard for everyone else to see."

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I could care less if none of the players or the org spoke in English. It gets translated and I get the information I need.

Reactions: ReginaHabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad