Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not as nuts as that Franchise traded their best prospect and Tatar for end of his career Pacioretty.

There's still a ways to go before we see who's the best between KK, Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, etc...
I think at the time of the trade I would have put Glass/Brannstrom before Suzuki... And both are still excellent prospects.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Domi is our best offensive center two years in a row. Keep him there or trade him for what top offensive centers will fetch.
Big difference between OUR top Centre and a TOP OFFENSIVE centre.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
His lower body strength surprised me. At first glance he doesn't look all that hard to move but he's really clever at using his body as a shield to protect the puck and bounce off opponents. KK needs some of that.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
His lower body strength surprised me. At first glance he doesn't look all that hard to move but he's really clever at using his body as a shield to protect the puck and bounce off opponents. KK needs some of that.

Who, between KK and Suzuki, is a year older?

Jul 6, 2016
I mean, they sent him back to junior after his AHL stint, MTL would have kept him in the AHL.

You cannot prove that. And he was too young for AHL. He is not European. He had to be sent down to the OHL. No other option.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I’ve tried to explain this to some posters.....saying Vegas developed Suzuki is like saying Montreal developed Sergachev
The reality is that OS and Guelph developed him as well as various skating coaches and training camps. Habs only took over this year. Credit where it's due, MB asked Suzuki to bulk up and work on his skating which he absolutely did and I can't fault them for his deployment at all as he seems to get better every day.

I feel like Suzuki is so good that it would have been pretty much impossible to ruin him though. He's one of those guys that learns and adapts so quickly that you can kind of just let him experiment. Basically what every coach dreams of having.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Just ran into Suzuki at the airport in Toronto. Nice guy. Bigger than you’d expect. Didn’t ask for a pic as it was 5:45 AM. Asked him why Clode didn’t put him out in last games SO and he laughed it off and said he’s been cold in practice.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's going to be so good after a full NHL workout regimented offseason and another year working with his skating coach.

Reactions: angusyoung

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i expect him and KK to become regular 60-70 pt C's..
if caufield can become an elite scorer or if we could find
a legit power winger in the 2020 draft, we're on the right track

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Looks like Suzuki is slowly taking over 2nd line C duties and pushing Domi to the wing. I'm happy to see it.

Suzuki has been fine,solid has deserved the TOI and responsibility. Would prefer him with AL and push Domi to C over KK who should be in Laval along with RP.

Reactions: Habs Icing

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Suzuki has been fine,solid has deserved the TOI and responsibility. Would prefer him with AL and push Domi to C over KK who should be in Laval along with RP.

Regardless of whether or not KK and RP should be in the AHL...I don't think Domi is a good fit on the 3rd line.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Why? Domi with Cousins and Weal would be more effective than KK with RP and whomever.

I just think that Domi's too well established to be moved to the third line given that he led the team in scoring last year and is currently 3rd. It is one thing to move Domi to the wing in the top-6, another thing to drop him out of the top-6 in favour of a rookie (Suzuki) and a perennial 3rd liner like Lehkonen. For me, with Domi, it's top-6 or trade.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I just think that Domi's too well established to be moved to the third line given that he led the team in scoring last year and is currently 3rd. It is one thing to move Domi to the wing in the top-6, another thing to drop him out of the top-6 in favour of a rookie (Suzuki) and a perennial 3rd liner like Lehkonen. For me, with Domi, it's top-6 or trade.

If you're using Domi as LW, I'll take TT,JD and AL over him.
Lines are not really defined any longer as 1,2,3,4 so much ,dependent on team structure.

If Habs were healthy you could roll,in no particular order

TT PD IK
JD MD BG
AL NS JA

The 4th line can be made up of a plethora of combinations that get the least TOI.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Just imagining a line with Domi(C) - Suzuki(RW) +Kovalchukl(LW), dreaming of Lafreniere(LW), next Danault(C) - Gallagher(RW) + Tatar(LW), then Kotkanemi(C) - Armia(RW) - Drouin(LW) next Poehling(C) - Caufield(RW) + Byron(LW). That's a very solid four lines in the near future, adding prospects like Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Pinard, Pitlick, Dauphin, Evans, Vejdemo all with NHL possibilities, just forwards alone. Defence has the same type of depth coming as our offence with very good quality goalie depth, just saying Habs are very close to being the elite Stanley Cup Contenders we all have been dreaming of since the 1993 SCC's.:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If you're using Domi as LW, I'll take TT,JD and AL over him.
Lines are not really defined any longer as 1,2,3,4 so much ,dependent on team structure.

If Habs were healthy you could roll,in no particular order

TT PD IK
JD MD BG
AL NS JA

The 4th line can be made up of a plethora of combinations that get the least TOI.

I'm not sure I agree that line numbers are no longer defined that way. I mean, when you look at a team's lineup, they tend to be ranked by usage and offensive talent. Teams' "#1 lines" tend to be their best and most used. I agree that teams are looking for offense from their lower lines much more now than ever, but its fairly rare to have a third line that produces more offense than a first line.

That said, with good depth, it is possible to have good talent on the third line, and maybe even play a more talented player there if the fit works. I agree with that and your lines look good to me. But with injuries, in our present circumstances, I don't think Domi on the third line with guys like Cousins and Weise will bring out the best in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad