Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know enough about Glass but I imagine LV thought Glass was the more sure thing.
I'm sure they knew Suzuki's ceiling was high but there were question marks. Question marks most of us had as well.

Only a handful of people thought he'd be a C at the NHL level on here. Many had him as a winger. I did.

People were unsure if his skill could translate and whether the skating was there. Or if he was strong enough, lack of effort, etc. He had plenty of question marks that were valid. I don't think they were necessarily about his ultimate upside but more so whether he could fulfill it.

Kid looks like the real deal. Doesn't wow shift in and shift out necessarily but picks his spots and makes few mistakes when he does. So refreshing to see an uber skilled, high IQ Center on our team.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Smart player with a good shot and knows where to be. Needs to be better on battling for the puck most times along the boards.

Playing with Anderson and Drouin this year would make a lot of players look good.

It is cool to see the three of them gel and have chemistry. It has been a long time since we have had great chemistry on the second line.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Smart player with a good shot and knows where to be. Needs to be better on battling for the puck most times along the boards.

Playing with Anderson and Drouin this year would make a lot of players look good.

It is cool to see the three of them gel and have chemistry. It has been a long time since we have had great chemistry on the second line.
Isn't it Suzuki making Drouin and Anderson look good? Drouin was pretty damn luke warm before Suzuki arrived. :huh:

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
They are all making each other look good. It's a good, solid line where each player has a skill set that benefits their linemates
I am going to have to disagree before Suzuki arrived we were all for shipping out Drouin. It was only when Suzuki was put on a line with Drouin that we started to actually see some effort and confidence from Drouin.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I am going to have to disagree before Suzuki arrived we were all for shipping out Drouin. It was only when Suzuki was put on a line with Drouin that we started to actually see some effort and confidence from Drouin.
So the only reason that line is doing well is because of Suzuki...come on man, gotta give Drouin and Anderson some credit.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm crying tears of joy. A real f***ing #1 center. It's been way too f***ing long man.

YaeP5ie.gif

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I would like to point out that Drouin was not playing with Suzuki at the start of last season, before he got injured.

He was brought back too early from that injury and was lost out there. Rest healing and being paired with Suzuki in the play-in\playoffs did give him a second lease on that season, though, for sure.

With Drouin, it's a question of confidence and effort, not skill and being with a C that can complement your own hockey IQ and play both into your game and off of you goes a long way to improving your confidence and, through it, your effort level.

Yes, Drouin needs. smart player like Suzuki but, he can do a lot with a smart player like Suzuki, more than many would. Suzuki will make his line mates better because of his read on the play, his positioning and his playmaking ability but, He is not a Lemieux or Gretzky type player that will turn a perfect plumber into a 50-goal scorer so, let's stop suggesting Drouin is a useless lump of a player that is only good because of Suzuki.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Man I would love to see Hall with him. Let Tatar walk and trade Byron and it's possible

I'm wondering how Hall would affect team chemistry? Of course, on paper, a line of Hall - Suzuki - Anderson would be something with two swift skating wingers that can both score and crash the net.

Hall - Suzuki - Anderson
Drouin - Danault\Poehling\Evans - Gallagher
Caufield - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Lehkonen- Evans\Poehling - Armia

It's hard to see how exactly the lineup would be filled in after that top line but, there are plenty of possibilities, depending on how the Danault situation gets resolved.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, if you want to buy into the rumor mill the initial ask was for Cody Glass and Bergevin “settled” for Suzuki.

So if that’s actually true, they both failed because Suzuki looks poised to have a better career right now.

To a humble outside observer, I think the Suzuki deal reinforces the notion that you can never overestimate off the charts hockey IQ -- which Suzuki must have oozed at the time of his acquisition.

This is where staffing the best talent evaluators in the business gives you one hell of an edge.

Or, you can luck into a player as a consolation prize, like Bergevin did. :sarcasm:

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Announcers were talking about the olympics last night. A lot of mention was talking about O’reilly and Bergeron. Obviously not this one coming up but wouldn’t it be great to see a Canadiens forward represent the country at the biggest stage?

I think Suzuki has it in him to be in one of those spots one of these days

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Nick Suzuki is tied for 10th in Centers scoring in the league.

I guess we can say we finally have a top 10 center in the league :sarcasm:

If Suzuki was not playing with Anderson he would not be. Several times when he has gotten assists from Anderson making a great play - like batting in a missed deke out of this air. He also had one the other night where he shot it into the guys skates and another player then put it home. Drouin has also played well this year.

I think he is a good player, but over rated.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
To a humble outside observer, I think the Suzuki deal reinforces the notion that you can never overestimate off the charts hockey IQ -- which Suzuki must have oozed at the time of his acquisition.

This is where staffing the best talent evaluators in the business gives you one hell of an edge.

Or, you can luck into a player as a consolation prize, like Bergevin did. :sarcasm:
Some times in life its better to be lucky than good.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
If Suzuki was not playing with Anderson he would not be. Several times when he has gotten assists from Anderson making a great play - like batting in a missed deke out of this air. He also had one the other night where he shot it into the guys skates and another player then put it home. Drouin has also played well this year.

I think he is a good player, but over rated.
Good players are always going to be getting points by playing with good players. Suzuki is doing well because he's making plays with the puck. He makes decisions that allow Anderson to drive the net and get those second and third chances. Drouin was also a scapegoat for the fans his entire tenure here until he was paired with Suzuki, and then he was suddenly great.

I'm not saying your logic is flawed. Plenty of players can collect points through secondary assists and the play of their line mates, but Suzuki actually makes things happen with his IQ. It makes it easier to play with him when you can trust him to make good decisions and go to the right spots on the ice vs holding on the puck for too long, skating into the corner, etc.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Announcers were talking about the olympics last night. A lot of mention was talking about O’reilly and Bergeron. Obviously not this one coming up but wouldn’t it be great to see a Canadiens forward represent the country at the biggest stage?

I think Suzuki has it in him to be in one of those spots one of these days
I could see Ô’reilly going on the team. Bergeron? He is already 35 years old.. as much as like the player. He is getting old... im not really following boston honestly. But not sure I would send Weber (35 years old) too at the olympics. There is better youngster players imo.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
This should absolutely be the most important attribute when scouting prospects.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

You can see it in Toffoli as well. The ability to get to the right place at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad