Nick Seeler

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
When I think of mistakes Fletch made over the past year, Seeler isn't one of them, IMHO.

1. Re-signing Risto
2. Trading for DeAngelo (likely because they whiffed on the other, more popular, more talented, hometown boi)

For those two borderline 3rd pairing defensemen, Chuck gladly parted with:

Shayne Gostisbehere
Robert Hagg
1st round (2021, for Risto)
2nd round (2024, for DeAngelo)
2nd round (2022, as a party favour for Arizona to take Ghost)
2nd round (2023, for Risto)
3rd round (2023, for TDA)
4th round (2022, for TDA)
7th (2022, as another party favour for Arizona just because)

You can't make this stuff up.

The sad irony is that this team would probably look exactly the same with Ghost and Hagg, and would be in a better position having retained and used the picks or moved them for actual valuable players.
Dont forget Ghost n Hagg would be half the cap hit too. But well said... the amount Fletcher gave up to turn Ghost n Hagg into Risto n TDA is probably the worst display of GMing im our life time.

The irony is he had a top 4 partner for Provy all along in York... his own pick!!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Bueller.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I'd put seeler in the same group as hagg in he's a serviceable bottom pair guy you don't want to over use

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Since he's a topic today, it's worth repeating something on the most recent episode of the Evolving Hockey Podcast. Seeler looks almost like an error when you look at their xG models because ALL of his value is in xGA and then he's roughly average by their CA RAPM measurements. Then when you dig into it, the Flyers as a whole have a canyon of difference between their Corsi and Fenwick metrics.

As you would probably expect, they pointed out that this is usually due to a funky run of Shot Blocking. He has already provided that value. The past will not change. But how repeatable is it?
Figured as such. In my experience, guy's with limited (read: no) puck skills have a hard time sustaining differentials like this for multiple seasons. Everything about this feels like a flash in the pan and a signal to to sell high. Chuck can't negotiate so there's probably a conditional 3rd on the table that they're balking at.

Bodies will be moved in and out, but as long as Zamula doesn't bolt to the KHL (he needs a contract and waivers next year), it would seem like he and Attard would be part of a third pair in some capacity next year. Are you really going to lock a 30 year old Seeler into that spot. iNtAnGiBlEs, I get it, but this is why this team is where it is. I mean it's pretty telling that they haven't tried him in the top 4 this year and he was scratched at times to get Braun back in the lineup, despite his good year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Figured as such. In my experience, guy's with limited (read: no) puck skills have a hard time sustaining differentials like this for multiple seasons. Everything about this feels like a flash in the pan and a signal to to sell high. Chuck can't negotiate so there's probably a conditional 3rd on the table that they're balking at.

Bodies will be moved in and out, but as long as Zamula doesn't bolt to the KHL (he needs a contract and waivers next year), it would seem like he and Attard would be part of a third pair in some capacity next year. Are you really going to lock a 30 year old Seeler into that spot. iNtAnGiBlEs, I get it, but this is why this team is where it is. I mean it's pretty telling that they haven't tried him in the top 4 this year and he was scratched at times to get Braun back in the lineup, despite his good year.

Yes. Yes they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad