Waived: Nick Seeler

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Seeler wasn’t even a good fighter either lol.
Doesn't even matter. Neither were Jim Cummins or Cam Russell. But they were warriors. Everybody on the current roster could use a fraction of their heart.

They need to bring up a guy (or several guys) willing to fire the team up. And make the games worth watching, in what will be a dreadful season of hockey.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Doesn't even matter. Neither were Jim Cummins or Cam Russell. But they were warriors. Everybody on the current roster could use a fraction of their heart.

They need to bring up a guy (or several guys) willing to fire the team up. And make the games worth watching, in what will be a dreadful season of hockey.

Shaw has done so. I suspect Zadorov will. Even Murphy will answer the call.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Unless they're bringing up a body that will make them play smarter defensively, its not any value to anyone but fans who like fighting... in a year where fan money is essentially meaningless.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Unless they're bringing up a body that will make them play smarter defensively, its not any value to anyone but fans who like fighting... in a year where fan money is essentially meaningless.
Advertisers disagree. They want viewers to stay tuned even in blowout games, like what the Hawks will experience. How are you going to sell Chevys, Subway sandwiches and Bud Light, if everybody tunes out after the game is 4-0?

Reactions: Pertti

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

They have decent fighters on the team already. Carpenter or Zadorov for example. But honestly, until there's a goalie in net capable of making a few saves there's no point in trying to goon it up.

It's honestly beyond me why they went into the season with those goalies. Even if the plan is to get a goalie ahead of expansion they still could have claimed somebody off waivers. Many guys were available who would have been much better than Delia or Subban. Anthony Stolarz for example. I get that they're tanking but the goalies are so bad that it's affecting the play of the defense. Delia is constantly losing his net and Subban struggles with puck tracking and rebound control. This ruined any confidence the defense had. They just never know what's coming next from the guys behind them. That's not a good situation to be in.

The Blackhawks have to play Lankinen asap and if he's not better than the other two, then they have to bring in somebody with nhl level. You have to be competitive, even when tanking.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
But honestly, until there's a goalie in net capable of making a few saves there's no point in trying to goon it up.
No. You got it backwards. Until they have a decent goalie, there's no point in NOT gooning it up.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No. You got it backwards. Until they have a decent goalie, there's no point in NOT gooning it up.

You goon it up if it gives you a better chance of winning. Not a fan of teams gooning it up just for the sake of it or because they're sour losers.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The last time the Hawks sucked this bad, at least they had a tough, tough team that was fun to watch. Bushie, Chris Murray, Aaron Downey, Reid Simpson, Remi Royer, David Koci, Janssens, Nasreddine, Bonvie, Barnaby, Vandy, and the list goes on.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Seeler was not terrible and of course fighting helps. Toughness might be the only way a team this talentless could win hockey games. At they very least it'd make games worth watching.

You know they will lose doing what they do now. The team is trash.
:facepalm:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I know you love Pirri, Boqvist, Kurashev, Wallmark and Soderberg and believe they can lead this team to success.

I think they're all trash and it's a season of tanking. But why suffer? Why not make it fun? And make UC the most unpleasant building to play in.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I know you love Pirri, Boqvist, Kurashev, Wallmark and Soderberg and believe they can lead this team to success.

I think they're all trash and it's a season of tanking. But why suffer? Why not make it fun? And make UC the most unpleasant building to play in.

I like physical hockey but I would be happy if they cut out fighting altogether. And also, look at the history of 'goons' in the NHL and the impact of concussions and brain injuries and tell me you want to set anyone up for a lifetime of that. It literally cost people their lives. What, for your entertainment? Screw that.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I like physical hockey but I would be happy if they cut out fighting altogether. And also, look at the history of 'goons' in the NHL and the impact of concussions and brain injuries and tell me you want to set anyone up for a lifetime of that. It literally cost people their lives. What, for your entertainment? Screw that.
I've looked. I saw the documentary Ice Guardians. Go watch it now. I also read Stu Grimson's book. Go read it now.

I absolutely do want fights. Possibly the single most awesome part about hockey, no doubt. They should do everything possible to have more fights, not less. Makes the game better.

Reactions: Pertti

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I've looked. I saw the documentary Ice Guardians. Go watch it now. I also read Stu Grimson's book. Go read it now.

I absolutely do want fights. Possibly the single most awesome part about hockey, no doubt. They should do everything possible to have more fights, not less. Makes the game better.

That is a different era of hockey. The game is far different now. If fighting is your favorite part of the game...woof.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Gooning it up does nothing now, literally nothing.
False. Bettman brainwashed you. It was always an integral part of hockey. Championships were won with toughness and brute force paired with finesse. And the game was far more entertaining 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Well, if you have time for reading during the pandemic, I genuinely recommend you try this one. Perhaps it will change your mind. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5S6816/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
False. Bettman brainwashed you. It was always an integral part of hockey. Championships were won with toughness and brute force paired with finesse. And the game was far more entertaining 20, 30, 40 years ago.

You couldn’t be more wrong. The NHL is more skilled than it has ever been and fighting does nothing now.

Fighting and being gritty/physical are not the same thing. No even close.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nope and I actually played the game. Gooning it up does nothing now, literally nothing. This is not the early 90’s.

That isn't quite true. Last playoffs, the Flames beat the Jets because they took out their top players in game 1 and Tkachuk beat Wheeler in that fight. The Jets were never gonna come back after that game 1. Because the Flames gooned it up in typical Flames fashion.

You gotta be competitive in order to take advantage of the rough stuff though...and you probably also need a bit of help from the DoPS if you cross the line the way the Flames do.

Reactions: SotasicA

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That isn't quite true. Last playoffs, the Flames beat the Jets because they took out their top players in game 1 and Tkachuk beat Wheeler in that fight. The Jets were never gonna come back after that game 1. Because the Flames gooned it up in typical Flames fashion.

You gotta be competitive in order to take advantage of the rough stuff though...and you probably also need a bit of help from the DoPS if you cross the line the way the Flames do.

No. Gooning it up does not work in the nhl any more. It is not even fun to watch at this point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No. Gooning it up does not work in the nhl any more. It is not even fun to watch at this point.

It's not fun to watch but it still does work. Certainly worked for the Flames.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's not fun to watch but it still does work. Certainly worked for the Flames.
You mean a freak injury that lost a teams best player that wasn't from gooning except in demented minds of anti Thackuck people.

But hey, those that think its boring without fights. Get this, other people find those skill players making plays now and then more exciting.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It is not really the reason why they won though.

Absolutely was. They injured the Jets top players and won the fight. That ended all Jets hopes of coming back. They were never gonna come back after that game 1. If you watched it, you knew. I had the Jets as clear favourites going into that series but after game 1, I'd have been prepared to bet my house on a Flames sweep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad