Confirmed with Link: Nick Seeler Signs Four Year Contract Extension ($2.7M AAV and Full NTC For First Two Years)

How Do You Grade This Thing

• Total voters

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They also gave Deslauriers a 2 year M-NTC. It's something they don't give a shit about. Hayes had a 3 year full NMC before a M-NTC. From 2026-2030 Tippett has a M-NTC. Full NMC for Couturier. Sanheim 4 year full NTC before a partial. It will continue. As if these guys couldn't have been signed without one. The Deslauriers and Seeler M-NTCs are fetish territory. They probably get a tingle when a player asks for one because gosh darn it, they want to be Flyers.

This has been a Fletcher/Flahr thing carrying over. I believe the only NTC the Flyers had previously was Giroux. Hextall even signed Voracek for 8 years without any NTC/NMC.

How much do those things really shave off the caphit/AAV? We’re probably talking thousands opposed to millions difference here. Is it really worth it to potentially limit your movement flexibility for that especially when these terms run 27 years old & up for these players?

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I think 2.7 x 4 is good. Not over paid, contract is a little long, but 2.7 fine for someone like Seeler. Walker is gone, it's pretty obvious Fistorainman is going to be gone. So Sanheim, York, Drysdale, Zamula, and Seeler is ok with me going forward. Just have to get rid of Fistorainman. And there will be plenty of space for the young dmen in the org. I would have had no problem trading Seeler, I just think it was a combination of they're not being a market and the flyers like them a little too much.
Edit.... Also, Seeler could sit for younger talent later or sooner, once torts is gone

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
If the Flyers were building a house they would start out by going to a junkyard, finding A rusted laundry chute and then deciding to build the rest of the house around that rusty laundry chute.
Do you know what fire Marshalls call laundry chute? Fire chutes, so very apropos because this org is a dumpster fire

We didnt get a 1st for Walker. We got a 1st for helping the Avs clear cap and Walker.
Next year we will have $9M (before demotions) related to helping other teams get cap space. That is over 10% of the cap

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Problem is now they have 2 6/7 dmen at a cost close to 8 million
That is the problem all these shill writers view every transaction in a vacuum. If this was the only bad contract then great, but you have Couturier, Ellis (acquired but still bad), RR, ND, Atkinson (via Voracek), who knows what TKs contract will look like. All of these add up.......

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Seeler is basically Briere's Braun. They're planning on him to age like Braun from 31-34 (when he so happened to fall off the cliff). Except Braun's track record was far longer than 2 years, his usage was always top 4, he was legit one of the best defensive defenders in the league in his prime. The major reason Braun didn't decline quicker, with below average skills, is his skating maintained. Cooked Braun was faster than York now. When high end players fall down the aging curve, their myriad skills can mitigate drops in certain areas. Players of limited skills rarely are so lucky.

The good news is the Flyers expect Seeler to decline! The bad news is they think "Culture" is the drop mitigation!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Seeler is basically Briere's Braun. They're planning on him to age like Braun from 31-34 (when he so happened to fall off the cliff). Except Braun's track record was far longer than 2 years, his usage was always top 4, he was legit one of the best defensive defenders in the league in his prime. The major reason Braun didn't decline quicker, with below average skills, is his skating maintained. Cooked Braun was faster than York now. When high end players fall down the aging curve, their myriad skills can mitigate drops in certain areas. Players of limited skills rarely are so lucky.

The good news is the Flyers expect Seeler to decline! The bad news is they think "Culture" is the drop mitigation!

It is crazy to me in every sport that every manager, coach etc banks time and time again on "their guys" being the exceptions to the human aging process.

Some people are exceptions... to a degree.

But in most pro sports 90% of the "exceptions" are just guys who reach 34 years old still playing at a good level when most fall off at 32... and most of them had such a high level to begin with that they could lose ~20% of their ability and still be damn good!

Because that is quite frankly the average back end of any human males athletic prime. (I say that as a 32 year old)

But I understand why having played sport to a decent level. No-one thinks they are going to fall off.

And when they do they blame it mostly on injuries... when quite frankly having played and trained day after day against ex-Commonwealth games and Olympic level players... who were freaks, work-out warriors etc... I saw them decline.

Six months sometimes you could literally see the difference in reactions when doing the same drills again and again... instead of blocking ~5/10 of your shots it would be ~3/10... and they would excuse it, lie to themselves, work out harder... they would come back after summer in better shape than ever, they would actually match their physical testing from a few years earlier because they were killing themselves to bounce back from a "down year"... but then in games? The plays that used to come easy were hard. And the plays that they made that were miraculous happened once every ten games instead of once a game...

And I really understand the mental process that goes into it... even me... I know logically I am not the athlete I was five years ago. But it is hard to process and not just "think" you can get back there with dedication and hard work. You kind of have a knee-jerk reaction to lie to yourself...

father time is undefeated and he always will be. Yes, even you Mr. Jagr.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I really don't understand why Seeler was a priority. Now was the time to sell high on an old journeyman defenseman. Rewarding guys who "saved" their career is absolutely bonkers. There is a reason he was considering retiring and now they are stuck with him for at least two years. He will block a spot.
you must be new..this is the Flyers..welcome aboard lol

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I really don't understand why Seeler was a priority. Now was the time to sell high on an old journeyman defenseman. Rewarding guys who "saved" their career is absolutely bonkers. There is a reason he was considering retiring and now they are stuck with him for at least two years. He will block a spot.
It doesn't make any sense, but this is the Flyers. Instead of rightfully cashing in on a journeyman, they tie themselves down with him for too many years

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Block a spot for who though? There nothing really coming through. Bonk is still a year away. We're looking to move Risto. You do actually need bodies to play the game.

Sanheim - York
Seeler - Drysdale
Risto - Zamula
????

Seeler has been pretty effective for 2 full seasons now, proving last year wasn't a fluke. We all laugh about intangibles In here, but he obviously has quite a large positive impact on the team. He's a very easy guy to root for. It's obvious that they believe he can continue his offensive upswing with Drysdale providing the outlet passing.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

1709821075110.png

This year (above) he’s been getting really good actual results as opposed to expected. Last year (below) that wasn’t the case. We’ll see how next 4 years go.

1709821213409.png

Reactions: Magua

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
two words...blocked shots

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nick Seeler is the new Nick Schultz.

Breaking down this comparison for my own benefit...

Hextall signed Nick Schultz for 1 x $1.25m as a UFA on 7/2/14, one of his first signings as Flyers GM. Schultz was about to be 32 and was coming off a poor season where Edmonton traded him to CBJ for a 5th round pick. But he had a strong 14-15 season as a defensive #4/5, leading the Flyers in blocks with 166. Next best was MDZ with 128.

This earned him a 2 x $2.25m extension, signed on 2/20/15, a couple weeks before the deadline. Unfortunately, an aging Schultz struggled to maintain the level of play from his contract season, and in the final year he only played 28 games. Btw, an AAV of $2.25m in 2015 would be $2.72m under the current cap.

Seeler currently leads the Flyers with 184 blocks. York is next best with 124.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad