Confirmed with Link: Nick Schultz signed to a contract extension [media reports: 2 years, $2.25m per]

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For me, this is a low-risk, moderate-reward deal that reinforces Hextall's stance that he has a multi-year plan to integrate the prospects in a logical and progressive manner. My order of "I hope XXX happens to Schultz" was as follows:
  1. Trade him for a good/great return (ie, 2nd or better [pipe dream], decent prospect)
  2. Sign him to a cap-friendly deal
  3. Trade him for an okay return (3rd or later, meh prospect)
  4. Let him walk
  5. Go full Holmgren (≥4 years @ ≥$3.5 million AAV)

I am satisfied and will move up to pleased if Hextall can move a defender or two for picks/prospects.

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
I like this. This is the way you fill out the bottom half of your defense, with either young guys or cheap serviceable veterans.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Another great signing by Hextall. It was a great move when he signed him in the offseason and it's a great move extending him for only 2 years and a very manageable cap hit. Hextall gets it. He really gets it!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Pretty good deal. Not great but certainly not bad at all. When they first signed him I wasn't all that happy because I thought he was overpaid as a 7th defenseman. Being that he has actually played and is not the spot-starter I thought he would be, this has turned out to be a nice deal this year and a nice one moving forward.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is ass backward logic. Yes, we want more lottery balls, but in all likelihood, if you pay $3 for a scratch off, you're going to end up losing your money.

You only go for the lottery ticket when the your current asset is worth less to your team than the price of the ticket.

Schultz would give us a 3rd. A 3rd, in all likelihood, will end up being nothing at all or someone of marginal value. That pick would be a full success if it turns into a steady bottom pair defender-- what Schultz already is.

When you're a bad team and have a sell-high asset, you sell. That's what teams do when they're going nowhere, better your odds for the future. This team isn't going anywhere with Schultz and a 3rd round draft pick is more likely to be a contributor when they are going somewhere, even if he doesn't make it. Because Schultz won't still be here anyways.

"Do it again with someone else"? Lol, what? We already have a steady player who fits here. Why would we try to "do it again with someone else" who may not be as good a fit?

The purpose it serves is giving us half a stable bottom pairing that is capable of playing against moderate competition. That's an invaluable luxury when you have young players on the way who will need easy minutes. What's not to understand?

Steady player? In what? A bad system with a lame coach?

Schultz is already one of the guys who needs the easy minutes. You're not sheltering young players by giving Schultz the responsibility, you're sitting Schultz so that the young players can play. We've been here before with guys like Bruno Gervais and Andreas Lilja. Schultz isn't a 20-minute player. And again, what happens when Berube is fired and they're playing a new system?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He doesn't need easy minutes. He's got the hardest minutes on the team this season and coped admirably.

Schultz is a good skater and fairly physical so he can cope in any system. He's not a product of anything particular Berube had been doing, and is clearly much better than guys like Lilja and Gervais were as Flyers. Just like with Mason a year ago, you're refusing to acknowledge the reality of how well Schultz has played because it contradicts what you thought would happen.

Last edited:

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
When you're a bad team and have a sell-high asset, you sell. That's what teams do when they're going nowhere, better your odds for the future. This team isn't going anywhere with Schultz and a 3rd round draft pick is more likely to be a contributor when they are going somewhere, even if he doesn't make it. Because Schultz won't still be here anyways.

Steady player? In what? A bad system with a lame coach?

Schultz is already one of the guys who needs the easy minutes. You're not sheltering young players by giving Schultz the responsibility, you're sitting Schultz so that the young players can play. We've been here before with guys like Bruno Gervais and Andreas Lilja. Schultz isn't a 20-minute player. And again, what happens when Berube is fired and they're playing a new system?

With Schultz, they've got someone who fits the system and adds experience. He can be a solid vet presence on the blue line. If he can potentially enable the kids to get easier minutes and be an experienced head to help to mentor the young guys and ensure that their transition into the NHL goes smoothly he'll absolutely be worth the money. And, for a team that has memories of the likes of Gervais, Lilja and Kubina as bottom pairing guys, I think it makes sense for them to stick with someone who they know fits with the team and the system. They need someone they think they can trust. I also think it's a little unfair to judge this without seeing what Hex does at the deadline. It could be an entirely different picture come the deadline and ultimately draft day

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
There is a Vine of some guy running into a flock of geese screaming ANDREW MACDONALD 30MM OVER 6 YEARS.

And the geese all go flying.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
you mean like this ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEaLQtjdpfA

this link NEVER gets old, haahahahah

warning def NSFW link.

I have to watch that in full now... one of the funniest things on youtube.

It is the perfect response to that insane debacle of an offseason.

almost as funny as Flyersguru defending the signing and saying he would be a fan favorite in no time :laugh:

Ever go back and read the signing thread? It's gold.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Only reason I don't like this deal is we already have so much money tied up in our mediocre blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad