Confirmed with Link: Nick Schultz signed to a contract extension [media reports: 2 years, $2.25m per]

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People want the Flyers to trade him for a 3rd rounder who likely won't be a NHL player. Also, there are far too many people who believe you can find defenseman like him all over the place in todays NHL. Bottom pairing dman are a dime a dozen but one's who strive in your teams system and can move up and down throughout being paired all over the place aren't. He's earned it. People like to think we could just sign any random bottom pairing guy and get the same production.

Trading him for the 3rd round pick is actually exactly what they're supposed to be doing. They bought low, and felt he played to a point where it would reward them with someone else trading for him. That is exactly where this organization is at. More lottery balls in the draft (given the Flyers lack of them) was one of Hextall's objectives this season. This team is not going to be a contender either of the next two years as well. If they are, it's very likely the defense was upgraded to a point where Schultz is no longer a regular player.

If the selling point is that he fits Berube's desires -- he's going to be gone before this team is ready to contend (given that they won't be contenders until he is). Lecavalier fit what Lavy wanted for his system, and by Game 4 he was learning a new system. Unless he clashes with a player, the coach is to sit in the corner and keep his mouth shut while the GM gives him his players. Berube hasn't earned the latitude that guys like Babcock, Sutter, Quennville or other top-tier coaches whose input on players around the league actually means something. Let's not forget that as coach of the Phantoms, Berube has produced as many defensemen for this team as I have.

The contract itself is not a debilitating contract, it's not terrible, but it's not really serving a purpose to the betterment of the franchise, either. If your GM is that kind of genius and your coach is that kind of mastermind, they should have had the confidence that they could do it again with somebody else. Or, just sign Schultz again in July.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Signing Schultz does give them more flexibility to move Coburn if they get a good offer over the next year. They've got a long look at the team with Shultz and without Coburn this season.

I think Coburn's moved sometime by next year's deadline at the latest but right now I just don't think he's gettting moved. His name hasn't been out there & given he's been often injured this year I don't think the value is good enough to part with him when you don't have to.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Streit, Schultz, MDZ and AMac are probably the four guys that will be the top two pairs going into next season. Are they great? No. But for now they are the best that the Flyers have to offer. At least they are mobile and can move the puck which is what defenders in the league have to do today. There is no reason to pay $3.5 per for two bottom pair guys in Grossmann and Schenn. These two guys are not mobile and are weak with moving the puck. Coburn just isn't worth what he wants with his new deal- $5.5M+per.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Trading him for the 3rd round pick is actually exactly what they're supposed to be doing. They bought low, and felt he played to a point where it would reward them with someone else trading for him. That is exactly where this organization is at. More lottery balls in the draft (given the Flyers lack of them) was one of Hextall's objectives this season. This team is not going to be a contender either of the next two years as well. If they are, it's very likely the defense was upgraded to a point where Schultz is no longer a regular player.
This is ass backward logic. Yes, we want more lottery balls, but in all likelihood, if you pay $3 for a scratch off, you're going to end up losing your money.

You only go for the lottery ticket when the your current asset is worth less to your team than the price of the ticket.

Schultz would give us a 3rd. A 3rd, in all likelihood, will end up being nothing at all or someone of marginal value. That pick would be a full success if it turns into a steady bottom pair defender-- what Schultz already is.

The contract itself is not a debilitating contract, it's not terrible, but it's not really serving a purpose to the betterment of the franchise, either. If your GM is that kind of genius and your coach is that kind of mastermind, they should have had the confidence that they could do it again with somebody else. Or, just sign Schultz again in July.

"Do it again with someone else"? Lol, what? We already have a steady player who fits here. Why would we try to "do it again with someone else" who may not be as good a fit?

The purpose it serves is giving us half a stable bottom pairing that is capable of playing against moderate competition. That's an invaluable luxury when you have young players on the way who will need easy minutes. What's not to understand?

I think Coburn's moved sometime by next year's deadline at the latest but right now I just don't think he's gettting moved. His name hasn't been out there & given he's been often injured this year I don't think the value is good enough to part with him when you don't have to.

There's been plenty of smoke in the past and no moves, so I'm not sure why it's out of the question for it to happen when there's been little smoke. His value right now isn't that high, but it won't be that high in a year when he's an impending free agent either.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Streit, Schultz, MDZ and AMac are probably the four guys that will be the top two pairs going into next season. Are they great? No. But for now they are the best that the Flyers have to offer. At least they are mobile and can move the puck which is what defenders in the league have to do today. There is no reason to pay $3.5 per for two bottom pair guys in Grossmann and Schenn. These two guys are not mobile and are weak with moving the puck. Coburn just isn't worth what he wants with his new deal- $5.5M+per.

Schenn isn't weak at moving the puck whatsoever. I'd easily put him over Schultz and Amac in that regard.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's been plenty of smoke in the past and no moves, so I'm not sure why it's out of the question for it to happen when there's been little smoke. His value right now isn't that high, but it won't be that high in a year when he's an impending free agent either.

Coburn isn't a small name. If he was available & potentially on the move you would hear more by now. I never said it was out of the question I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion like most here.

I also think he could still be moved in the summer.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nice term and dollar.

He is getting paid like a #5, but has played like a 2nd paring guy this year. The length is nice as well for getting guys resigned while still having flexibility.

I imagine MDZ gets signed for a similar deal tbh.

MacDonald ($5m) -- Streit ($5.25m)
Del Zotto ($2.25m) -- Schultz ($2.25m)

Coburn
Schenn
Grossmann

(Not including Kimmo and Colo as both will be gone one way or another next season.)

Really means 1 of Coburn, Schenn or Grossmann is gone by September.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Emelin went down hard and is not coming back for the rest of tonight's game. Will Bergevin be on the phone for depth help? I think Coburn would be an excellent fit for the Canadiens to make a splash in the playoffs.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Coburn isn't a small name. If he was available & potentially on the move you would hear more by now. I never said it was out of the question I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion like most here.

I also think he could still be moved in the summer.

Fair enough. My only point is that things happen quickly at the deadline. There doesn't necessarily need to be build up for a trade to be consummated. Injuries happen, and even in the absence of injuries, there's always the arms race to consider.

Even if Hextall isn't shopping Coburn actively now, I can't imagine he has his mind entirely closed to the possibility. If and when the phone rings, he'll be listening intently.

I agree it's not a foregone conclusion-- I just don't think the lack of smoke really makes it any more or less likely. It's no secret that we need to move defenders, either. I think Hextall is just waiting for Timonen to return to assess the situation and determine which piece will provide the best value in a trade.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, if we go through other teams highest paid 3rd pairing guy (assuming Schultz is a #5, not a #4):

Washington: Mike Green. $6.083m
Islanders: Lubomir Visnovsky. $4.75m
Buffalo: Andrej Meszaros. $4.125m
Anaheim: Eric Brewer. $3.875m
Edmonton: Mark Fayne. $3.625m
Philadelphia: Luke Schenn. $3.6m
Calgary: Ladislav Smid. $3.5m
Pittsburgh: Rob Scuderi. $3.375m
New Jersey: Bryce Salvador. $3.17m
St. Louis: Barrett Jackman. $3.17m
Toronto: Stephane Robidas. $3m
Rangers: Kevin Klein. $2.9m
Montreal: Tom Gilbert. $2.8m
Winnipeg: Mark Stuart. $2.625m
Florida: Erik Gudbranson. $2.5m
LA: Matt Greene. $2.5m
Detroit: Jakub Kindl. $2.4m
Colorado: Ryan Wilson. $2.25m
Chicago: Michal Rozsival. $2.2m
Vancouver: Luca Sbisa. $2.175m
Ottawa: Patrick Wiercioch. $2m
Boston: Adam McQuaid. $1.57m
Minnesota: Keith Ballard. $1.5m
Carolina: Jay Harrison. $1.5m
Arizona: David Schlemko. $1.19m
Columbus: Dalton Prout. $1.075m
Nashville: Anton Volchenkov. $1m
San Jose: Scott Hannan. $1m
Tampa Bay: Radko Gudas. $0.992m
Dallas: Jamie Oleksiak. $0.894m

So the mean 'top paired 3rd pair guy' is getting: $2.58m

If we take out Mez, Green and Visnovsky it is still: $2.1m

The median is: $2.5m

Without Mez, Green and Visnovsky the median is: $2.25m

Only 9 of these guys get less than $2m.

Most of the guys in the $2-3m range were signed or traded for as #5s as well.

Basically Schultz has been signed for #5 money at a good term.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Emelin went down hard and is not coming back for the rest of tonight's game. Will Bergevin be on the phone for depth help? I think Coburn would be an excellent fit for the Canadiens to make a splash in the playoffs.

Gross for a 3rd(2nd and we retain 1 mill) or Coburn for Fucale and a 1st

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm fine with it. At best it's a nice sweetheart contract for a quality middling D, at worst it's a very short contract with a very low cap hit in years we're not doing anything contention-wise for a D that disappoints and becomes another warm body.

Good signing.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Really like this deal. I'm starting to trust Hexy more and more. Cap sensitive and good in length. I think it would be great to sign MDZ to the same price but he has been better so it will take a little more IMO

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a good deal b/c it gives Hextall the flexibility to trade 2 defensemen if the price is right, or to trade them in the offseason. Schultz is a dependable, responsible albeit limited veteran defensemen who'd be perfect as a mentor for the young guys they're going to work into the lineup the next two years.

The reason signing him makes sense - it really doesn't matter which defensemen you trade, Schultz for a 3rd or Coburn for more. You dump the bigger salary and get more value back without hurting the team.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Move Grossman/Coburn/Schenn and I'll hate this deal less.

MDZ won't be signed before the TDL. No reason too, he's a RFA and his value is at its highest with no contract behind him.

Teams get crazy, you never know what somebody might offer. Hextall would be stupid to kill his value before seeing if somebody jumps.

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
Move Grossman/Coburn/Schenn and I'll hate this deal less.

MDZ won't be signed before the TDL. No reason too, he's a RFA and his value is at its highest with no contract behind him.

Teams get crazy, you never know what somebody might offer. Hextall would be stupid to kill his value before seeing if somebody jumps.

Out of curiosity, why do you hate this deal?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Out of curiosity, why do you hate this deal?

Because to me there is a Schultz guy out there every year you can grab on a year deal.

Why lock yourself into this when he can expire and you can replace it during the offseason.

It's possible Hextall lost some negotiation power because teams just need to look at his crap cap space and know he has to dump somebody.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because those other guys in free agency get signed to play bottom pair minutes getting paid bottom pair money and that's where they stay because that's all they can do. Schultz is getting bottom pair money but he can play higher if we need him to without looking like a disaster.

We know that he can do this so why would we take a gamble that the next person can when it's very likely they can't?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Because those other guys in free agency get signed to play bottom pair minutes getting paid bottom pair money and that's where they stay because that's all they can do. Schultz is getting bottom pair money but he can play higher if we need him to without looking like a disaster.

We know that he can do this so why would we take a gamble that the next person can when it's very likely they can't?

Strike gold once, maybe we can again!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad