Confirmed with Link: Nick Schultz signed to a contract extension [media reports: 2 years, $2.25m per]

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He doesn't need easy minutes. He's got the hardest minutes on the team this season and coped admirably.

Schultz is a good skater and fairly physical so he can cope in any system. He's not a product of anything particular Berube had been doing, and is clearly much better than guys like Lilja and Gervais were as Flyers. Just like with Mason a year ago, you're refusing to acknowledge the reality of how well Schultz has played because it contradicts what you thought would happen.

I've been happy to oblige any discussion about Mason without resulting to putting words in your mouth, citing evidence, and not using veiled insults. If that's your recourse, it only says to me that you admit I was right, even if you're not going to acknowledge that to yourself. If Mason was as good last year as he was this year, the Flyers had a good chance of being in the finals as long as Carey Price still got hurt. This is the second thread I've said that in, but this isn't a Steve Mason thread, this is a Nick Schultz thread. If you want to talk about Steve Mason, bump a Steve Mason thread.

You say I'm refusing to acknowledge how "well" he's played - in a system with a coach who is going to be replaced before this team will be considered a contender, quoting a post where I called him a sell-high asset. Uh, ok. I can't help you if you're just going to read whatever the hell you feel like. He's played a lot of minutes on a defense unit that sucks on a team that sucks.

He isn't as bad as I thought he would be. Of the 8 defensemen on the active roster, 6 get to play, and he should be one of those 6. If only because MacDonald and Grossmann shouldn't. You probably should have asked that question first instead of frothing at the mouth and getting a giant judgmental woody about it instead.

He's coped admirably - when he's been able to play with Coburn or Streit. Streit and Vandevelde are the only players on the team who are over 50% and under 50% without him, and I think we all know Streit had been blessed enough to drag Grossmann around the ice with him while Coburn was out.

With Schultz, they've got someone who fits the system and adds experience. He can be a solid vet presence on the blue line. If he can potentially enable the kids to get easier minutes and be an experienced head to help to mentor the young guys and ensure that their transition into the NHL goes smoothly he'll absolutely be worth the money. And, for a team that has memories of the likes of Gervais, Lilja and Kubina as bottom pairing guys, I think it makes sense for them to stick with someone who they know fits with the team and the system. They need someone they think they can trust. I also think it's a little unfair to judge this without seeing what Hex does at the deadline. It could be an entirely different picture come the deadline and ultimately draft day

Someone's going to have to go, and waiving Colaiacovo probably doesn't make enough to clear money for Timonen to return. With all that said, nothing was stopping anyone from simply bringing Schultz back in July. He wants to be here and he's comfortable in the system, right?

Experience isn't really an issue unless, given you mentioned the trade deadline, the some of the other 6 defensemen over the age of 28 aren't here anymore. Coburn is about to turn 30, he'll make 5 of the 9 defensemen.

None of those kids are playing between now and April, it seems that Manning and Lauridsen both are first in line when it comes to recalls. Manning will likely remain that next season provided he wants to stay in the organization.

And it all still hinges on the fact that when Berube is removed, so is his system. People are quick to judge some comments as "Schultz is a pile of dog crap" instead of "why are we keeping a player who played himself into a sell-high asset in a system run by a coach who is an ass clown?"

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I've been happy to oblige any discussion about Mason without resulting to putting words in your mouth, citing evidence, and not using veiled insults. If that's your recourse, it only says to me that you admit I was right, even if you're not going to acknowledge that to yourself. If Mason was as good last year as he was this year, the Flyers had a good chance of being in the finals as long as Carey Price still got hurt. This is the second thread I've said that in, but this isn't a Steve Mason thread, this is a Nick Schultz thread. If you want to talk about Steve Mason, bump a Steve Mason thread.

You say I'm refusing to acknowledge how "well" he's played - in a system with a coach who is going to be replaced before this team will be considered a contender, quoting a post where I called him a sell-high asset. Uh, ok. I can't help you if you're just going to read whatever the hell you feel like. He's played a lot of minutes on a defense unit that sucks on a team that sucks.

He isn't as bad as I thought he would be. Of the 8 defensemen on the active roster, 6 get to play, and he should be one of those 6. If only because MacDonald and Grossmann shouldn't. You probably should have asked that question first instead of frothing at the mouth and getting a giant judgmental woody about it instead.

He's coped admirably - when he's been able to play with Coburn or Streit. Streit and Vandevelde are the only players on the team who are over 50% and under 50% without him, and I think we all know Streit had been blessed enough to drag Grossmann around the ice with him while Coburn was out.

You said Mason was "marginally better" than Emery right before Mason came in off a concussion and put up a .939 playoff SV% while Emery was down at .888 against the same opposition, and after a full season of Mason significantly outplaying his backup. So no, you weren't right. You were completely and utterly wrong.

Schultz is strong and mobile enough to play in any system so I have no idea why you are hung up on the likely fact that Berube will gone after this season. And being under 50% is not some litmus test of whether a player on this Flyers team is good defensively or not, not when they are getting the hardest minutes on the team. If it was, you would have to say that Couturier was a bad defensive player. Schultz has played more than well enough to earn his contract.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You said Mason was "marginally better" than Emery right before Mason came in off a concussion and put up a .939 playoff SV% while Emery was down at .888 against the same opposition, and after a full season of Mason significantly outplaying his backup. So no, you weren't right. You were completely and utterly wrong.

Like I said, this is a Nick Schultz thread, not a Steve Mason thread.

Schultz is strong and mobile enough to play in any system so I have no idea why you are hung up on the likely fact that Berube will gone after this season. And being under 50% is not some litmus test of whether a player on this Flyers team is good defensively or not, not when they are getting the hardest minutes on the team. If it was, you would have to say that Couturier was a bad defensive player. Schultz has played more than well enough to earn his contract.

I am not bothered by the contract so much as the timing. I would still say that it shouldn't be more than 1 year, but there's far worse issues here. But I'll go with what you're saying for this point. Schultz is comfortable in this system, playing for this coach, regardless of how lame he is. And you he's fluid in what systems he can play in, he's seen a lot of tough situations playing for so many bad teams. Surely, this sets up where the Flyers can trade Schultz and bring him back in July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad