NCAA: Nick Saban: GOAT in College Football?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
He's also a bit younger. Wasn't he at Bowling Green though before Utah?

He was, for 2 years.

Not recruiting but academic eligibility to me wouldn't shock. It is the state of Alabama after all...

According to Time, we are ranked #6 in academics.

http://time.com/4147924/college-football-top-25-ranked-by-academics/

Its hard to have this conversation because you're obviously a Bama homer. I don't think he's a bad coach but I do think the flaws in college football hide things. I mean he's won without a good QB. You can't do that in the NFL. Not to mention scheduling. They play some cupcakes. With that front 7 alone and running game its not surprising they succeed but they Aldo aren't facing equal talent every week even in their own conference.

I went to Alabama so yes, I'm a homer. What I asked though is who in the college ranks would you consider better (dead or alive?). I would imagine the top 2 have to be Bear Bryant and Nick Saban as they both have the most National Championships. Saban just did his much quicker in a more competitive era.

As for the schedule, look anywhere and we are top 5, if not 1.

Here's CBS:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-the-most-difficult-schedules-in-the-country

And here's the NCAA -
http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/03/2015-college-football-strength-of-schedule-ncaa-method/

Again, you say 'no' to Saban which is fine, but who would you put above him?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Who would I put above him? Fielding Yost, already said it. 8 national titles, 4 undefeated seasons in a row. 6th best winning percentage all-time.

Probably Rockne, Switzer and Osborne as well.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Who would I put above him? Fielding Yost, already said it. 8 national titles, 4 undefeated seasons in a row. 6th best winning percentage all-time.

You chose a guy who last one a N.C. in 1923 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are mental sir.

Better PEDs, more creative ways of paying players, oversigning..

Pitiful excuses there. They used to NOT drug test, players have always been paid, it just used to not be illegal, and their used to not be a limit on scholarships.

Again, weak attempt there.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Its much harder to win now. Better programs, less scholarships etc

This. You have so many Universities throwing massive amounts of money into their football programs to be competitive, Alabama being one of biggest culprits.

With all that being said, it's incredible what he's been able to accomplish. In a time when you have a lot of teams changing uniforms to be 'cool' and 'appeal to the kids', he coaches at a University that refuses to change anything.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Better PEDs, more creative ways of paying players, oversigning..

PEDs and paying players has been around way before Saban. The whole SWC was the wild west. Plus all the blue bloods could stash every top flight high school stud on the roster due to unlimited scholarships.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
PEDs and paying players has been around way before Saban. The whole SWC was the wild west. Plus all the blue bloods could stash every top flight high school stud on the roster due to unlimited scholarships.

+1

Take a look at SMU back in the day, the entire history of Miami, and their will you find a team that really were dirty.

Not saying Bama is squeaky clean, but with the Championships mounting up, you KNOW that everyone is looking through Bama's program with a fine tooth comb trying to find something, anything.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He was, for 2 years.

According to Time, we are ranked #6 in academics.

http://time.com/4147924/college-football-top-25-ranked-by-academics/

I went to Alabama so yes, I'm a homer. What I asked though is who in the college ranks would you consider better (dead or alive?). I would imagine the top 2 have to be Bear Bryant and Nick Saban as they both have the most National Championships. Saban just did his much quicker in a more competitive era.

As for the schedule, look anywhere and we are top 5, if not 1.

Here's CBS:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-the-most-difficult-schedules-in-the-country

And here's the NCAA -
http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/03/2015-college-football-strength-of-schedule-ncaa-method/

Again, you say 'no' to Saban which is fine, but who would you put above him?

There's a few guys in the old days. As much as I hate this school and university...what about JoePa. Nobody has done more with less. Yeah Pennsylvania is a state with football talent but it's not like Penn State was a program thought of until JoePa got there. Granted his legacy did get tarnished by what happened towards the end but its impressive he did so much at a place I wouldn't call a dream destination. Its a school in the middle of nowhere.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I get that national titles are what you play for but these programs are not all equal either. Sure you still have to coach I suppose but isn't being successful with less kind of more desirable? Frank Beamer is a classic case. He doesn't have the titles to his credit, yeah but he also lasted a long time and won conference championships in a tough conference. He always had to go up against the U then Florida State was in yhr mix. Two schools that probably have more talent to their disposal. I mean he lasted a long time and ran a clean program. Its easier when you get the best athletes. Virginia isn't bad football but when you have a lot of the South accessible to you, you have a big advantage.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Pete Carroll would be close if they beat Texas. If he stays at USC he might have the most active titles. He also took over a trash program and had to rebuild it. Sure there were scandals at the end with Bush and **** but those teams were dominant.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I get that national titles are what you play for but these programs are not all equal either. Sure you still have to coach I suppose but isn't being successful with less kind of more desirable? Frank Beamer is a classic case. He doesn't have the titles to his credit, yeah but he also lasted a long time and won conference championships in a tough conference. He always had to go up against the U then Florida State was in yhr mix. Two schools that probably have more talent to their disposal. I mean he lasted a long time and ran a clean program. Its easier when you get the best athletes. Virginia isn't bad football but when you have a lot of the South accessible to you, you have a big advantage.

The beltway is one of the most talent rich football areas in the country.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pete Carroll would be close if they beat Texas. If he stays at USC he might have the most active titles. He also took over a trash program and had to rebuild it. Sure there were scandals at the end with Bush and **** but those teams were dominant.

He intentionally got out of dodge as the going was getting rough, I don't think they would have won much more than they did without him

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
I'd put Rockne over Saban easily, Yost and Bryant are a close call, but I think I'd put them both over as well.

I don't care how much the game has changed since Rockne and Yost. I think it actually speaks more to their greatness. You got to consider not just their wins but their innovations.

Rockne and Yost not only won as much as Saban, they actually changed the way people coached the game and even changed the rulebook. Yost first used the forward pass, invented the linebacker position with Germany Schultz and modernized the position of Quarterback to what it is today with the way he utilized Benny Friedman (despite rules which discouraged the usage of the forward pass -- which didn't prevent Michigan from winning with Friedman).

While Yost was doing his thing, Rockne was first using the forward pass regularly with success (also despite the bad rules) and made the option a strategic cornerstone of college football until innovations in defensive coaching around 20 years ago (yes, that recently) made it less effective. Rockne did all this, and won five national titles all by the time he died at the age of 43 (Saban is what? 64?).

ESPN skews the data by only talking about the poll era. But furthermore, what profound change to the game has Saban brought?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec

The Virginia area is LOADED with talent. If you recruited only VA boys, you'd be a top 25 team all day long.

I love Beamer though, truly a class act.

Are you suggesting a known cheater that escaped any probations by leaving for the pros is one of the greatest? :laugh: C'mon man.

I'd put Rockne over Saban easily, Yost and Bryant are a close call, but I think I'd put them both over as well.

I don't care how much the game has changed since Rockne and Yost. I think it actually speaks more to their greatness. You got to consider not just their wins but their innovations.

Rockne and Yost not only won as much as Saban, they actually changed the way people coached the game and even changed the rulebook. Yost first used the forward pass, invented the linebacker position with Germany Schultz and modernized the position of Quarterback to what it is today with the way he utilized Benny Friedman (despite rules which discouraged the usage of the forward pass -- which didn't prevent Michigan from winning with Friedman).

While Yost was doing his thing, Rockne was first using the forward pass regularly with success (also despite the bad rules) and made the option a strategic cornerstone of college football until innovations in defensive coaching around 20 years ago (yes, that recently) made it less effective. Rockne did all this, and won five national titles all by the time he died at the age of 43 (Saban is what? 64?).

ESPN skews the data by only talking about the poll era. But furthermore, what profound change to the game has Saban brought?

I would argue that you don't have to change the game to be considered great. Under that argument Chip Kelly has a much greater claim than Saban. He got a non-football team on the map and created an offense so potent that everyone nowadays seem to be trying to get more like it.

Problem is, he never won the big game.

I appreciate Yost and and Rockne, but they were both coaches during a much less competitive time, during war times (where the best and strongest were off fighting), and played against much more basic styles of play.

Neither had a scholarship limit, neither had to play anywhere near the athletes that we are seeing nowadays (Could you imagine a Reggie Bush back in the 20's?), and while they were the pioneers of the forward pass, coaches now are having to play against the hurry up offense which to me goes to the point of this being the most competitive era the sport has ever seen.

If you were starting a team, and could chose any coach (dead or alive) to start your program, would you still pick those guys over Saban? Maybe so, but I do disagree with you that if you did chose one over Saban, that it would be 'an easy choice'.

Saban is an all time great, but he isn't the GOAT. He wins, but there were coaches before him who won AND did more.

One coach in the voting era has won more national championships. That being Bear Bryant and it took him a lot longer to achieve that.

This was probably his 2nd least talented team while at Alabama. He is a magician.

I believe this was his worst. Best D-line he's had in his college career, but the secondary was/is young and inexperienced, QB had major growing pains, a weak right side of the O-line, and new wide receivers. I think the 09 team was better, as were both with AJ at the helm.

Wouldn't that suggest just being lucky on location?

No. It would suggest that he is just better than everyone at the same thing.

But you said Pete Carroll so...:laugh:

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
I appreciate Yost and and Rockne, but they were both coaches during a much less competitive time, during war times (where the best and strongest were off fighting), and played against much more basic styles of play.

Neither had a scholarship limit, neither had to play anywhere near the athletes that we are seeing nowadays (Could you imagine a Reggie Bush back in the 20's?), and while they were the pioneers of the forward pass, coaches now are having to play against the hurry up offense which to me goes to the point of this being the most competitive era the sport has ever seen.

If you were starting a team, and could chose any coach (dead or alive) to start your program, would you still pick those guys over Saban? Maybe so, but I do disagree with you that if you did chose one over Saban, that it would be 'an easy choice'.

One coach in the voting era has won more national championships. That being Bear Bryant and it took him a lot longer to achieve that.

WWI? The US was involved in that for two seasons (three if you include 1919 and that's a stretch). The other years they coached the United States didn't even really have a standing Army (that was a post-WWII thing). The Spanish Flu and Prohibition were stronger barriers then "war time."

Yost ran an early form of the no-huddle too, those 80-0 wins he collected from 1901-1904 didn't just come from great defense. And the lack of talent applied on both sides of the ball so it's not like you can use that against the old coaches. The fact that Yost made Jewish guys quota'd out of Ivy League schools into star athletes is actually another thing in his favor.

I wouldn't hire Yost because he was a racist, but he proved himself absolutely able to concoct strategy in a way that Saban hasn't had to do.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Rockne gets an unnatural boost from the Notre Dame mystique, Switzer lost control of the program in a big way, Osborne is nothing but a phony.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
PED use always existed but it's probably more sophisticated now than ever as are the payment arrangements and there is of course far more money in the game overall. Public colleges build athletic complexes that rival the most modern pro facilities, little palaces, the most fancy food courts you can imagine etc. All because this is a way of providing a form of payment to players within the rules.

The point was basically more that of course the deck is still hugely stacked in favor of the likes of Alabama. Scholarships and perhaps even more importantly, the embrace of offensive innovation, have led to some degree of leveling of the playing field but that gets overplayed. Alabama v MSU, Clemson v OU, those could have been major bowls in the 60s too. If you look at non-traditional powers that have made progress, they all share one thing - significant financial backing. It's really still the old powers + some new money and that's it.

I am not saying that to deny that Saban is one of the all-time great coaches, but let's not act like we somehow have to treat his NCs different from other teams' NCs in the past. It is what it is. I believe Urban Meyer has a better winning percentage by the way for what it's worth.

But on a fundamental level the difference between Saban and all the other coaches mentioned as all-time greats is that those other guys built stuff and became one with the institutions they represented. Saban is basically just a coach who gives you championships in the most professional way in an amateur sport that's supposed to be more than just a football competition. That's very contemporary but it's also kind of in the way of true greatness. Saban will never have more Bama in him than Bear Bryant did.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Saban is the best of the current era. You can't compare the different eras when so much has changed over time on and off the field. Who knows how a coach pre-WW2 would do in today's game and vice versa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad