NCAA: Nick Saban: GOAT in College Football?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I wanted to get a few thoughts from you all about this topic that has been talked about a lot here and in Alabama.

Is Nick Saban the Greatest College Football coach of all-time?

In terms of National Championships in the voting era, he's 2nd (with 5) on the list of most Championships behind Bear Bryant (6). Before he came to Alabama, we were awful after stints of Debose, Shula, Franchione, and Price.

He's done all this is a more competitive era of college football than anything the Bear had to go up against, he's won 4 National Championships at Alabama and has won 100 game. Think about it, that's a national championship for every 25 wins here at the school.

One particular thing that sets him apart from any coach I've ever paid attention to, is his continuing to bring in unemployed coaches to discuss what weaknesses they see in our team, and what they think he could approve on.

After our loss to OSU, we invited Tom Herman and his Houston staff to watch some Alabama practices, and while there, Saban and Tom discussed what exactly Herman had seen during the Sugar Bowl that they exploited on the way to the National Championship.

Last week, Saban invited recently fired Chip Kelly to Tuscaloosa to discuss the hurry up offense, and what exactly Chip thought about when he designed his offense, and how Saban could implement that style of offense better.

I'm biased, I went to Alabama during the dry years (2004-2008). They hired Saban my senior year, so I did have the privilege of a winning football program while in college, but with all that being said, I can't imagine any coach, dead or alive, that I'd rather have coach my team more than Nick Saban.

So, what are your thoughts?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I don't like the Alabama team but I respect the amount of work Saban seems to put in either recruiting or coaching. The point you made about him inviting coaches in to critique the team takes major balls to do cause they might say some things you don't like or agree with about your team.

I don't know enough about CFB to make an accurate vote, but in the years I've been watching, Bama has always been good.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It helps when he seems to have the best recruiting class every year. He probably is the best coach, but man I don't like Bama winning so many championships.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It helps when he seems to have the best recruiting class every year. He probably is the best coach, but man I don't like Bama winning so many championships.

We can always hope a recruiting scandal is uncovered I guess? :sarcasm:

With the new playoff system, them winning didn't bother me at all, same with OSU last year, though that's because I hate Oregon.

Saban has to be recognized as the best right now. Curious to see what Urban Meyer does as he's already at 3 National titles and much younger than Saban.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yes.

.... not to be snarky, but I don't think I even need to elaborate on that.

Why not? Most of these "coaches" the majority of us were either in diapers or not even born when they were coaching.

College football is really flawed too. The competition isn't equal. Hence Alabama can win with a marginal at best QB.

I have respect for a guy who can do both. Saban was an NFL flop.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
If you look at titles only today yes though I think Urban Meyer has a case, especially besting him head to head in the playoff and once in the SEC title game to win a title.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
No.

Maybe currently though Urban Meyer has done a lot considering he's been to different places. Imagine if he wasn't at Utah and what not.

Would you would put ahead of Saban?

Bear won in different eras and had the difficult task of integrating the team.

I love what Bear did, but all that was done when their was no limit to the amount of scholarships back then, so we would have some 100 players on full rides.

Why not? Most of these "coaches" the majority of us were either in diapers or not even born when they were coaching.

College football is really flawed too. The competition isn't equal. Hence Alabama can win with a marginal at best QB.

I have respect for a guy who can do both. Saban was an NFL flop.

I asked the greatest College Football coach. Not the greatest coach of all time.

College football is much more competitive now than it was back in the days when you had unlimited scholarships and what not. Again, if you are comparing Saban to the like of Lambardi, then that's not what this thread is about.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
We can always hope a recruiting scandal is uncovered I guess? :sarcasm:

With the new playoff system, them winning didn't bother me at all, same with OSU last year, though that's because I hate Oregon.

Saban has to be recognized as the best right now. Curious to see what Urban Meyer does as he's already at 3 National titles and much younger than Saban.

Not recruiting but academic eligibility to me wouldn't shock. It is the state of Alabama after all...

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Would you would put ahead of Saban?

I love what Bear did, but all that was done when their was no limit to the amount of scholarships back then, so we would have some 100 players on full rides.

I asked the greatest College Football coach. Not the greatest coach of all time.

College football is much more competitive now than it was back in the days when you had unlimited scholarships and what not. Again, if you are comparing Saban to the like of Lambardi, then that's not what this thread is about.

Its hard to have this conversation because you're obviously a Bama homer. I don't think he's a bad coach but I do think the flaws in college football hide things. I mean he's won without a good QB. You can't do that in the NFL. Not to mention scheduling. They play some cupcakes. With that front 7 alone and running game its not surprising they succeed but they Aldo aren't facing equal talent every week even in their own conference.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I went to THE Ohio State University and I will say, without a doubt, he's the greatest college coach. In an era where parity is even in college football, he's dominated. He's a legend and he's by far the best, IMO.

And if that's coming from me - that should say something, eh? I should try and find every reason to hate the guy. :laugh:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I went to THE Ohio State University and I will say, without a doubt, he's the greatest college coach. In an era where parity is even in college football, he's dominated. He's a legend and he's by far the best, IMO.

And if that's coming from me - that should say something, eh? I should try and find every reason to hate the guy. :laugh:

Even? I don't know if I'd go that far. There's certainly views that even the ACC and Big 10 are not as good as the other power conferences. The Big 12 is also not taken that seriously because the games are like watching Madden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad