Value of: Nick Ritchie to Vancouver?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Ritchie is unsigned in Anaheim, what would it take to get him via a trade?

Also, can Anaheim fans chime in to how aggressive of a game he plays, thanks!?
Not an Anaheim fan, but I watched him play in Peterborough while he was in the OHL, in junior he was a force offensively but he never seemed to play the type of game that his size allowed him too. He played kind of soft, and whenever he tried to play aggressively, he ended up in the box. I didn't follow him once he got traded or since he got into the NHL, so maybe he's matured and started playing how he should. I can imagine he's a good piece to have in your top 9 regardless

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The Ducks forward group is lacking in grit right now. Unless we could swap Ritchie for a similar player I'd rather just get him signed and back in the lineup.

I dont think moving him for picks/prospects would do us much good.

Ducks fans infatuation with grit always amazes me. You guys are already one of the bigger/physical teams in the NHL, even without Ritchie.

Getzlaf, Kesler, Gibbons, Rowney, Manson, Schenn are all gritty and tough. And on top of that, guys like Fowler, Cogliano, Street and Henrique all play big too. When you get Perry back, you'll be even grittier.

Anaheim needs to move away from grit and focus more on speed and skill. I would argue that these young rookie players you guys have playing right now are a big reason as to why the Ducks have started so well. You guys have finally started to get with the times.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
The Ducks forward group is lacking in grit right now. Unless we could swap Ritchie for a similar player I'd rather just get him signed and back in the lineup.

I dont think moving him for picks/prospects would do us much good.
Whats the expected difference that is keeping him unsigned so far?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ducks fans infatuation with grit always amazes me. You guys are already one of the bigger/physical teams in the NHL, even without Ritchie.

Getzlaf, Kesler, Gibbons, Rowney, Manson, Schenn are all gritty and tough. And on top of that, guys like Fowler, Cogliano, Street and Henrique all play big too. When you get Perry back, you'll be even grittier.

Anaheim needs to move away from grit and focus more on speed and skill. I would argue that these young rookie players you guys have playing right now are a big reason as to why the Ducks have started so well. You guys have finally started to get with the times.

See here's the thing, it's very clear who has and hasn't watched the team play. They've had an absolutely dreadful start, have been outplayed in every period except for one against Detroit, and owe every single point in the standings to John Gibson and nothing else. So don't look at the standings and assume all is fine, the team has looked dreadful.

You've listed a bunch of players who are either injured or don't bring any more than average grit. With those guys out and replaced with rookies, our lineup is butter soft by all standards (not just Ducks fans). Schenn doesn't play every game, Manson is really the only guy with any intimidation factor.

Our lineup for today....
Comtois - Henrique - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Kesler - Rakell
Lundestrom - Steel - Sherwood
Gibbons - Street - Terry

You can't seriously tell me that isn't lacking in strength and physicality...and that Ritchie isn't as needed here as he would be elsewhere right now. The toughest customer is Kesler and our GM has stated he may miss games to protect his durability. Sure the game is bending more towards speed and skill, but you still need some pushback. I'm not seeing nearly enough.

Edit - wow you named Fowler....are you sure you've ever seen him play?

Last edited:

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Do we have room though?
We've got Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Roussel, Schaller on the LW.

Is there any interest in Leipsic from Anaheim? Maybe something like Hutton or Del Zotto, Leipsic and a pick/prospect? Don't even know if that's an overpayment. Or Schaller if you want some grit?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Fowler actually has the lowest hits per game than any Top4 D-man the Ducks have had in the past 5 years, thats why guys like Giordano target Fowler with hits cause they know he doesn't play physical at all.
Possibly you meant Lindholm, as he does hit alot more than Fowler & he even delivered a nice hit on Lucic in the playoffs a few years back.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
See here's the thing, it's very clear who has and hasn't watched the team play. They've had an absolutely dreadful start, have been outplayed in every period except for one against Detroit, and owe every single point in the standings to John Gibson and nothing else. So don't look at the standings and assume all is fine, the team has looked dreadful.

You've listed a bunch of players who are either injured or don't bring any more than average grit. With those guys out and replaced with rookies, our lineup is butter soft by all standards (not just Ducks fans). Schenn doesn't play every game, Manson is really the only guy with any intimidation factor.

Our lineup for today....
Gibbons - Street - Terry

You can't seriously tell me that isn't lacking in strength and physicality...and that Ritchie isn't as needed here as he would be elsewhere right now. The toughest customer is Kesler and our GM has stated he may miss games to protect his durability. Sure the game is bending more towards speed and skill, but you still need some pushback. I'm not seeing nearly enough.

Apologies then. But every time I watch a ducks game, they seem pretty physical to me.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Apologies then. But every time I watch a ducks game, they seem pretty physical to me.

I should say that all full strength (including Ritchie) I think we'd have sufficient toughness. That's not even including Perry who I'm not counting at all this year. But the problem is we're so far removed from full strength that we 100% need Ritchie.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canucks are logjammed at FWD, we'd have to move one back if we expect him to play in the NHL, don't see a deal here, maybe in the offseason

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Do we have room though?
We've got Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Roussel, Schaller on the LW.

Is there any interest in Leipsic from Anaheim? Maybe something like Hutton or Del Zotto, Leipsic and a pick/prospect? Don't even know if that's an overpayment. Or Schaller if you want some grit?

I think it's likely that Ritchie never lives up to what some people thought he'd be when he was drafted, but offering a collection of bottom of the roster pieces for him makes no sense. If you are the Ducks, you roll the dice that he is a late blooming PF, and if he isn't you still have a player better than Leipsic or Schaller.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Canucks are logjammed at FWD, we'd have to move one back if we expect him to play in the NHL, don't see a deal here, maybe in the offseason

The point would be the Canucks move a F as part of the deal to get Ritchie, if a deal was to be made

Maybe holdout for holdout? Ritchie Plus what for W.Nylander

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Been saying that to the anaheim fans for along time. They think Gritt is lacking. When we have no skill forwards like most other teams. Gritt is absolutely not the issue. This isn’t early 2000s NHL anymore. But some odd reason 90% of the fan base latch on to the concept trying to be the 2007 Anaheim cup winning team that doesn’t work in this NHL anymore.

They don’t get it, but it’s fine not all fans think like that. Some of us understand the new NHL these days.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Been saying that to the anaheim fans for along time. They think Gritt is lacking. When we have no skill forwards like most other teams. Gritt is absolutely not the issue. This isn’t early 2000s NHL anymore. But some odd reason 90% of the fan base latch on to the concept trying to be the 2007 Anaheim cup winning team that doesn’t work in this NHL anymore.

They don’t get it, but it’s fine not all fans think like that. Some of us understand the new NHL these days.

You're responding to someone who already conceded their point was incorrect (he said Fowler plays big for crying out loud).

That's a completely false notion as well. Ducks fans have been saying for quite some time that the team needs more speed and skill. But a lineup also requires balance. Right now without Getzlaf, Perry and Ritchie (just got Kesler back) the team is short on brawn. You need speed skill and physicality to win consistently in this league. Once we get those guys back in the lineup, should have an improved balance compared to last year with the skill added from the youth.

As for today's lineup, I will once again state that no one can honestly tell me this:

Gibbons - Street - Terry

...is not a soft forward lineup even by today's standards. Absolutely could use Ritchie's brawn right now.

How can you begin to tell us you know the new NHL when you tried to tell me cement footed Andrej Sustr belongs in our top 4?

Reactions: Getzmonster
Oct 18, 2011
Not an Anaheim fan, but I watched him play in Peterborough while he was in the OHL, in junior he was a force offensively but he never seemed to play the type of game that his size allowed him too. He played kind of soft, and whenever he tried to play aggressively, he ended up in the box. I didn't follow him once he got traded or since he got into the NHL, so maybe he's matured and started playing how he should. I can imagine he's a good piece to have in your top 9 regardless
Of all the criticisms you can make of Ritchie, being soft is not one of them

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Who is Nick Ritchie?
I mean, I know who he is, and where he was drafted....but

Is he a fast skater
Would he be considered a scorer
What is his potential
Would he be considered ever to be a first or second line player?
What are his analytics like
Who does he compare to?

I would appreciate some info, to better understand what he brings other than toughness

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Nick Ritchie is big and can (and will) hit. His skating is mediocre and he is not instinctive. Ritchie has a good shot if he has time to get it off. He has good hands and can finish around the net. Although he is not there enough for my liking. He was a fixture on what was probably Anaheim's best line last year (Ritchie/Henrique/Kase). Is a 25-30 point guy now, but still very young. Not sure if he can be more than that, but there are some things to like. Oh, and people don't really want to fight him.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The point would be the Canucks move a F as part of the deal to get Ritchie, if a deal was to be made

Maybe holdout for holdout? Ritchie Plus what for W.Nylander

Do the Ducks want Gagner? that's what I would do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad