Player Discussion Nick Ritchie - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
You know what's tough? Brett Ritchie is actually a fairly handsome guy, wavy blondish hair, blue eyes, sharp jawline. Yet Nick's face looks like he's having a permanent allergic reaction to a bee sting.

Though in fairness Nick got the better of the hockey skills among them.
I can't seem to get enough of the allergic reaction comment. Maybe when Jack says "playing with a bed under their bonnet" Nick took it literally ? :laugh:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
First of all, apologies for the other day on twitter. I know it wasn't you, but I didn't want to be dragged into that.

I agree with what you say here though. I think Ritchie is the least of their worries. Everyone thought defence was going to be a problem, but so far so good. They are keeping pucks out of the net, and transitioning far better then they were a year ago. But as I said before, I'm not to worried about the d because of the system the Bruins employ. And how about the PK without Chara?

Anyway, the issue is what everyone already knows: a non-existent 5 on 5 scoring. Maybe Pasta returning will let everyone slot in where they belong. Maybe it won't.

Replacing Ritchie with everyone's favorite son Karson Kuhlman certainly isn't going to help.
Don't apologize. That was on me, I shouldn't have kept you "mentioned" in that.

Reactions: DominicT

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So Ritchie has been decent so far. Showing some better skating and isn't afraid to shoot, which is good. Still looking for him to use his big frame and impose some physicality on the other team though, since that was supposedly why he was brought in. If he finds a little mean in his game, he could easily be a solid player here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So Ritchie has been decent so far. Showing some better skating and isn't afraid to shoot, which is good. Still looking for him to use his big frame and impose some physicality on the other team though, since that was supposedly why he was brought in. If he finds a little mean in his game, he could easily be a solid player here.

im convinced Cassidy has his guys eschew hits to get back up ice. The Bruins continually peel off hits or give it the Thornton turn and butt check so they can quickly get back on defense. Establishing a physical presence for the Bruins is a non starter in their game plan.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
man, five drafts ago :(

I wouldn't even include him as part of his appeal is his play without the puck.

To me the last two were Pasta and Donato. Guys drafted primarily for their offensive ability.

Before that you have to go way back to Khokhlachev in 2011 and Seguin and Spooner from 2010.

Reactions: LouJersey

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
I wouldn't even include him as part of his appeal is his play without the puck.

To me the last two were Pasta and Donato. Guys drafted primarily for their offensive ability.

Before that you have to go way back to Khokhlachev in 2011 and Seguin and Spooner from 2010.

Debrusk and Senyshyn

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I can't seem to get enough of the allergic reaction comment. Maybe when Jack says "playing with a bed under their bonnet" Nick took it literally ? :laugh:
Wonder why my tablet said bed instead of bee? I'm not sure why this thing goes all rogue and makes decisions for me. That's my wife's job. Hiiiiiiyoooooo! :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Hook and BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
im convinced Cassidy has his guys eschew hits to get back up ice. The Bruins continually peel off hits or give it the Thornton turn and butt check so they can quickly get back on defense. Establishing a physical presence for the Bruins is a non starter in their game plan.

It certainly doesn't seem to be a priority for them at all. It's odd because there are times where they could absolutely lay someone out and really set the tone, but like you said, they turn and skate off with minimal or no contact most of the time.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Have you seen the offensive ability of either of them? Yeah pure skill these two are not.

They were drafted primarily for their offensive ability, yes. It didn't translate that great with Debrusk and didn't at all with Senyshyn, which probably plays a role in why Sweeney doesn't target that type of player in the draft anymore.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They were drafted primarily for their offensive ability, yes. It didn't translate that great with Debrusk and didn't at all with Senyshyn, which probably plays a role in why Sweeney doesn't target that type of player in the draft anymore.

I shouldn't of said offensive ability, I should of said skill. Neither of them are what I believe are skill guys. Senyshyn was a big body who skated well for a guy his size and could produce goals at the junior level. Debrusk was a straight-line winger who could produce a few different areas of the ice, but was lacking hockey IQ.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I am shocked at how well he's playing. He's competing, he doesn't look slow or behind the play. He's legitimately playing at Bruin pace. He makes good decisions with the puck. He's putting a ton of rubber on net, but he's also willing to pass and has made some nice plays. The pass to Bergeron on the PP was gorgeous.

He's also a real net front presence. Not someone you tell to stand there, but then gets out of the way when a shot is coming. He holds the screen and forces the goalie to look around him.

I'm hoping this is just the beginning. He looked really good with Krejci the other night. He's getting #1 PP time in front. Keep it up Nick!

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I am shocked at how well he's playing. He's competing, he doesn't look slow or behind the play. He's legitimately playing at Bruin pace. He makes good decisions with the puck. He's putting a ton of rubber on net, but he's also willing to pass and has made some nice plays. The pass to Bergeron on the PP was gorgeous.

He's also a real net front presence. Not someone you tell to stand there, but then gets out of the way when a shot is coming. He holds the screen and forces the goalie to look around him.

I'm hoping this is just the beginning. He looked really good with Krejci the other night. He's getting #1 PP time in front. Keep it up Nick!

Best surprise so far

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I see a lot of comments ever since they traded Heinen for Ritchie along the lines of Heinen has better advanced stats than Ritchie. I've seen both people who are pro-analytics and people who are skeptical make this claim, whether in favour of one guy or the other. That's not really the case though.

Most models that I've seen show Heinen as a guy who is very limited offensively but really good at one thing: suppressing quality chances against (xGA/60). Opponents don't get a lot of chances to score when he's out there, and neither does his team for that matter. He's kind of boring.

Ritchie on the other hand is slightly below average defensively and above average offensively, especially generating shot attempts (CF/60) and chances (xGF/60). More stuff happens when he's on the ice.

HeinenRitchie.png

Basically they're two different types of players and one is not necessarily better or worse than the other. It depends on what you're after.

For the Bruins, I thought at the time and still think the trade makes a lot of sense. They already have a ton of forwards with great defensive numbers but not a lot of guys with Ritchie's ability to get the puck to the net. Check out Heinen compared to Bjork for instance:

download.png

They're basically the exact same player, Bjork just generates fewer chances (though goals are about the same) and is cheaper. Probably don't want two guys like this in the top nine unless you're trying to avoid scoring.

Anyway not completely on the topic of Nick Ritchie but I've seen this type of comment come up a lot and didn't know where else to post this lol

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Totally agree - the report from fans in Anaheim was that he was capable of this kind of run performance wise, only then to drift for weeks. Hope this sticks. Also hope they let him run with Coyle and Smith on the regular

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I see a lot of comments ever since they traded Heinen for Ritchie along the lines of Heinen has better advanced stats than Ritchie. I've seen both people who are pro-analytics and people who are skeptical make this claim, whether in favour of one guy or the other. That's not really the case though.

Most models that I've seen show Heinen as a guy who is very limited offensively but really good at one thing: suppressing quality chances against (xGA/60). Opponents don't get a lot of chances to score when he's out there, and neither does his team for that matter. He's kind of boring.

Ritchie on the other hand is slightly below average defensively and above average offensively, especially generating shot attempts (CF/60) and chances (xGF/60). More stuff happens when he's on the ice.

View attachment 386454

Basically they're two different types of players and one is not necessarily better or worse than the other. It depends on what you're after.

For the Bruins, I thought at the time and still think the trade makes a lot of sense. They already have a ton of forwards with great defensive numbers but not a lot of guys with Ritchie's ability to get the puck to the net. Check out Heinen compared to Bjork for instance:

View attachment 386455

They're basically the exact same player, Bjork just generates fewer chances (though goals are about the same) and is cheaper. Probably don't want two guys like this in the top nine unless you're trying to avoid scoring.

Anyway not completely on the topic of Nick Ritchie but I've seen this type of comment come up a lot and didn't know where else to post this lol

Thanks for that. That's good stuff. As I was reading your description of Heinen I was thinking that sounds like what Bjork has become, and then you posted the Bjork graph. :laugh:

Reactions: kjpm

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Thanks for that. That's good stuff. As I was reading your description of Heinen I was thinking that sounds like what Bjork has become, and then you posted the Bjork graph. :laugh:

Haha yeah I knew they were similar but even I was surprised they were THAT similar

Reactions: PlayMakers

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Guy is very fun to watch right now, might be our best forward this season so far. I'm eating crow big time on him.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
too early to say lock him up??

He lost weight over a short off season. His skating and quick twitch has improved.

His net presence is just want the doctor ordered. He could of had a hat trick tonight

Reactions: TwineTickler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad