Prospect Info: Nick Paul

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Stats, size and the way he moves on the ice, reminds me of Jamie Benn.

Season Team GP G A PTS
2014-15 Regular Season North Bay Battalion 24 18 13 31
2008-09 Regular Season Kelowna Rockets 56 46 36 82

GPG: .75/.82
APG: .54/.64
PPG: 1.29/1.46

Benn’s stats are obviously better, but he also played on a championship caliber team.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
You know who else put up good stats on that the 08/09 Kelowna Rockets?
Colin Long - he led the team in scoring.

Want to know what is he doing now? He's living in a van, down by the river.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
You know who else put up good stats on that the 08/09 Kelowna Rockets?
Colin Long - he led the team in scoring.

Want to know what is he doing now? He's living in a van, down by the river.

Long was also 5'10 and 176lbs at the time. He also had his development hampered by 3 injuries.

Nick is 6'3, and 220+lbs.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
In no particular order

Paul-Lazar-Ryan
Puempel-Zibanejad-Prince
Hoffman-Turris-Stone

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Long was also 5'10 and 176lbs at the time. He also had his development hampered by 3 injuries.

Nick is 6'3, and 220+lbs.

I'm sure Long has gotten that weight up to 250+ now, living in a van, down by the river. Doesn't have to worry about those injuries because he don't do jack squat.

...on a serious note though, great that Paul got the invite. His stats this season are impressive, especially considering his defensive game and how big he is. Hopefully he makes it, it would be fun to watch him play there.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm sure Long has gotten that weight up to 250+ now, living in a van, down by the river. Doesn't have to worry about those injuries because he don't do jack squat.

...on a serious note though, great that Paul got the invite. His stats this season are impressive, especially considering his defensive game and how big he is. Hopefully he makes it, it would be fun to watch him play there.

Probably will unless several get sent from NHL .

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah there appears to be a chance he becomes the big piece of the spezza deal.

Well know a bit more if he makes wjc team

I think he has a decent but not guaranteed chance to make it as the games will be on the North American ice size; however, if the tournament was on the larger Euro ice surface his lack of speed might hinder him.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think he has a decent but not guaranteed chance to make it as the games will be on the North American ice size; however, if the tournament was on the larger Euro ice surface his lack of speed might hinder him.

I'm about 50/50 on the chance he's already on the team. That is, one of many already on the team.

They don't leave too many decisions left over for a short camp.

When players get singled out after summer camp, they often make the team. I even remember Hudon makin it as an 18 year old right After being drafted in the 3rd or 4th. Paul hast exactly hurt his chances since.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa

hmm, how do you know this?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He's not a bad skater.

In the context of the OHL, no. In the context of the kids at this camp, yes.

I have not seen them all (most), but of the ones I have seen a few games of, Paul is probably the second worst. The WJ is a much faster game than the OHL.

That said he certainly stands a chance to make it, you can make due without skating (see Stone). The big issue the team is absolutely stacked down the left hand side and at center. I'm just not sure who he beats on that side.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
In the context of the OHL, no. In the context of the kids at this camp, yes.

I have not seen them all (most), but of the ones I have seen a few games of, Paul is probably the second worst. The WJ is a much faster game than the OHL.

That said he certainly stands a chance to make it, you can make due without skating (see Stone). The big issue the team is absolutely stacked down the left hand side and at center. I'm just not sure who he beats on that side.

I count 2 with the big club. MacArthur and Hoffman. (Smith (more of a centre), Michalek and Greening are beatable competition) The rest are potential now playing in the AHL. He will still have to compete but he has as much chance as anyone else 2-3 years down the road.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I count 2 with the big club. MacArthur and Hoffman. (Smith (more of a centre), Michalek and Greening are beatable competition) The rest are potential now playing in the AHL. He will still have to compete but he has as much chance as anyone else 2-3 years down the road.

He was talking about TC for the world juniors.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
He was talking about TC for the world juniors.

:laugh: That's what happens when you skip ahead a few posts from the Sens conversation. Plus I blame Alfie! :)

As far as WJ are concerned his chances may depend on who plays well right up to the last minute and which forwards are made available from the NHL. I'd hate to see Lazar playing but with the domino effect of costing Paul a spot.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
:laugh: That's what happens when you skip ahead a few posts from the Sens conversation. Plus I blame Alfie! :)

As far as WJ are concerned his chances may depend on who plays well right up to the last minute and which forwards are made available from the NHL. I'd hate to see Lazar playing but with the domino effect of costing Paul a spot.

Lazar would not cost Paul a spot as Lazar will be asked to play right wing if he is released, and hence does not compete with Paul. Paul is competing with the likes of Domi, Fabbri, DalColle, Klimchuck, Ritchie.

If Paul shot right he would be close for a lock on the roster (only 4 forwards are right handed shots, and only 2 right wingers even invited).

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Nick Pauls' bio from the Battalion website:
Interesting that he played competitive lacrosse and went to the world lacrosse championships...

He is doing well, tho his scoring is down. Glad to see he is not a Leaf's fan :)

No. 21 … NICK PAUL ... 6' 3â€, 221 lbs. …
Born: March 20, 1995, in Mississauga, Ont. …
Home Town: Mississauga, Ont. …

2014-15 … third-year centre Paul leads the Troops in goals (16), points (28) and plus-minus (+11) …
registered two assists Saturday in 3-0 win at Owen Sound …
recorded 100th career point Thursday with one assist in 5-4 OT loss vs. Guelph …
scored both Battalion goals Nov. 15 in 3-2 loss at Barrie …
three goals Nov. 2 in 8-5 win vs. Sarnia …
two goals Oct. 19 in 4-3 win vs. Mississauga …
three goals Thanksgiving Monday in 4-1 win vs. Barrie …

2013-14 … third in Battalion scoring with 26 goals and 20 assists for 46 points in 67 games … career-high six-game point and four-game assist streaks (5G, 6A) ended Feb. 2 in 2-1 win vs. Sault Ste. Marie … career-high four-game goal streak ended Nov. 7 in 4-3 loss vs. Sudbury … fourth-round pick of Dallas Stars in 2013 NHL Draft, his rights were traded to Ottawa on July 1 with Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptil and a second-round pick for veteran Jason Spezza, a former Battalion member, and prospect Ludwig Karlsson …

2012-13 … 12 goals and 16 assists for 28 points in 66 games … first career three-goal game on New Year’s Eve in 5-2 win vs. Mississauga … Battalion’s fifth-round choice, 95th overall, in the 2012 OHL Priority Selection from the Mississauga Reps major midgets …

2011-12 … MVP in 2012 GTHL midget all-star game … three goals, two assists in nine games with Mississauga Chargers of the Ontario Junior Hockey League … started playing organized hockey in Port Credit when he was five …

Nick has dual Canadian-U.S. citizenship …
father Ellwood owns ECJ Computers in Port Credit …
an outstanding track and field athlete in high school, Ellwood has earned four most valuable coach awards from the Port Credit Hockey Association …

mother, Melinda Rios-Paul, is global business manager for Avnet Canada and based in Mississauga …
a native of Los Angeles, Melinda played for a travelling fast-pitch team in Los Angeles and was a competitive dancer …

Nick’s older brother, Jesse, operates an import business in Toronto and played junior A hockey with Streetsville Derbys and Oakville Blades, and junior B with St. Catharines Falcons …

Nick played competitive baseball, football and soccer and was an outstanding lacrosse player with the Mimico Mountaineers. Played in the 2010 world under-16 lacrosse championship at Manchester, England …

favourite NHL team is Boston Bruins and favourite player is Boston’s Jarome Iginla … turns 20 on March 20.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
^awesome. thanks for that link.

Excited about Paul too, even though he could end up an excellent 3rd liner. 2nd line potential.

Chiasson is a very good player too.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere, but I wanted to bring attention to the fact that Nick Paul was recently voted the best faceoff player and the best defensive forward in the Eastern conference in the OHL coaches poll !

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2014-15-ohl-coaches-poll-winners

I am trying to temper my expectations, but if Paul pans out, Chiasson may well end up being a throw-in for Spezza.

Yeah it's been mentioned, most Paul talk is in Prospects thread.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere, but I wanted to bring attention to the fact that Nick Paul was recently voted the best faceoff player and the best defensive forward in the Eastern conference in the OHL coaches poll !

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2014-15-ohl-coaches-poll-winners

I am trying to temper my expectations, but if Paul pans out, Chiasson may well end up being a throw-in for Spezza.

Saw that, nice that Paul can play centre or left wing & is already good at faceoffs & is already defensively responsible. IMO Paul is going to be another important cog for this team & hopefully has the same kind of impact Stone is having on this team. Looking forward to seeing him play in Bingo next yr.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Most of the prospects thread is about Da Costa for some reason so I'm glad to read this here.

It will be a glorious day when people stop pining over him leaving for the KHL.

I mean, we really should be talking about how much we miss Alexander Nikulin.

But I get it. Da Costa is probably the best prospect the team has ever had.

As for Nick Paul, I'm pretty excited to see how he develops. I like that he's got a good defensive game already. And this team really can use all the help it can get on faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad