Prospect Info: Nick Paul

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Since 2008, there have been 14 forwards in total still available to draft when Ottawa had their first pick that have notched 40 pts in one season.

2008 - Eberle, Ennis, Stepan, Henrique, Nyquist, Atkinson
2009 - Johansson, O'Reilly, R.Smith, C.Smith
2010 - Tarasenko, Gallagher
2011 - Saad, Palat
2012 - nobody
2013 - nobody

The only player that they realistically "missed out" on was Tarasenko, and we all know what happened in the end with that pick. Almost all those other players were passed over by every team in the league at least once, including the team that eventually drafted them.

If you're still disappointed about not having a player that fits into a very specific criteria that is obviously quite rare, you will never be happy about whatever team you cheer for.
2009 we missed out huge because Cowen is terrible. But we have a generational talent to show for from 2008 so like that's worth it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Still waiting on a drafted forward prospect to hit 40Pts since BM became GM 7years ago...

Prospects seem to be a lot more hype then substance

Yes, it is amazing how the prospects and players we got for Spezza now seem to be the "best" when we practically had never heard of them, nor discussed them, before the trade. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Really like what I've seen so far from Paul. Players of his size don't normally have hands as soft as he does. Combined with his rocket of a shot and his good vision, he seems primed for a breakout offensive season. I wouldn't be shocked if he put up above a PPG in the OHL (which would be rather impressive considering he'll be playing for Stan Butler in North Bay) and made Team Canada's World Junior team in a bottom 6 role, establishing himself as a legitimate NHL prospect in the process.

I hope you are right. Question: Has he really made the junior team that will play next year?

The Fuhr*

That team will have problems moving the puck from the back end imo and as a result will have difficulties puting up the kind of numbers you're projecting. I also have a hard time buying a top 10 PP without anyone I'd call a PP quarterback.

The other potential problem is a team that can't stay out of the box, and has very little in the way of game breakers.

EJ will put up 40-50 points
Watch for Demers to do the same this year in San Jose

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Yes, it is amazing how the prospects and players we got for Spezza now seem to be the "best" when we practically had never heard of them, nor discussed them, before the trade. :)

Funny, because youre the first one to use the word "best" in this thread when speaking about anything even vaguely related to Paul. Their GM Nill said himself that Paul was a player to watch and commended our scouting staff for identifying him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
EJ will put up 40-50 points
Watch for Demers to do the same this year in San Jose

EJ put up 39 pts playing with an all offense team; without the likes of Stastny, Duchesne, McKinnon, et al, I don't see it.

Demers has a career high of 34 at 25 years old and you expect him to hit 40-50 this year? They are good players, but aren't going to make up for a team that lacks offensive talent.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Funny, because youre the first one to use the word "best" in this thread when speaking about anything even vaguely related to Paul. Their GM Nill said himself that Paul was a player to watch and commended our scouting staff for identifying him.

Yes, you're right. The use of the word "best" was not the best choice of word.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
If Dorion was super high on him than that can only mean good things, if the kid pots 40 goals this year people will be loving this kid

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Even if Paul notches 40 points, he won't be a forward Murray drafted. So the past two pages have effectively been off-topic, save a few posts here and there. Get back to discussing Nick Paul, please.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Guptill was voted 11th an Paul was voted 16th in the Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014... and that's not counting other younger guys already in the line-up and graduated (like Zibanejad and Hoffman)

Karlsson2Turris*

If he is as good defensively as some of you say, I think Paul can be a really good #3C down the road behind Turris and Zibby/Lazar.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Anyone know how Paul is defensively?

Paul is to defense what Guptill is to offense.

Paul is excellent defensively. It's his bread and butter. It's his offense that has limited him from being projected into a top 6 role in the NHL. However, he seems to be figuring out the offensive side of things too in past 8 months.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hope you are right. Question: Has he really made the junior team that will play next year?

As long as he plays well from Oct-Dec, he should have an invite to the main camp in December. Fingers crossed, though. Always lots of "political" selections at the World Junior camps the last decade or so.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As long as he plays well from Oct-Dec, he should have an invite to the main camp in December. Fingers crossed, though. Always lots of "political" selections at the World Junior camps the last decade or so.

Thanks. That is what i thought, but the original posting suggested otherwise, and i did not see anything that would support that.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Josh Anderson made it last year, he and Paul are similar players, Anderson was a 4th Round Pick of the Blue Jackets in 2012,

Anything can happen, Paul can potentially replace Anderson's production last year

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Damn, bad enough I can't wait for the NHL to start, now I'm all excited about the JR's at Xmas :laugh:

picture.php

GO NICK PAUL, GO!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Damn, bad enough I can't wait for the NHL to start, now I'm all excited about the JR's at Xmas :laugh:

picture.php

GO NICK PAUL, GO!

Getting an invite the the main camp doesn't guarantee he'll be on the team. Just the next step in the process.

But would still be a great experience for him and something to build on either way.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Really like what I've seen so far from Paul. Players of his size don't normally have hands as soft as he does. Combined with his rocket of a shot and his good vision, he seems primed for a breakout offensive season. I wouldn't be shocked if he put up above a PPG in the OHL (which would be rather impressive considering he'll be playing for Stan Butler in North Bay) and made Team Canada's World Junior team in a bottom 6 role, establishing himself as a legitimate NHL prospect in the process.

After watching him at summer camp, he will be in tight to make the team. He was OK, but there were a lot of players that really stepped up and looked pretty good. I'm not sure if a single poster had him on the team in the proposed WJ team after watching the camp.

It really comes down to offensive upside. Lots of guys there can play a checking role, but Paul's offensive numbers from last year paled in comparison to every other forward on the team. I'd sooner a guy like Baptiste who already has played a great checking role on an international stage, and who had more goals that Paul had points last year.

My guess based on the talent at the camp is Paul will have to score at about a 1.5 PPG clip to get an invite. I just cannot see that kid of jump as that is double his numbers from last year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
After watching him at summer camp, he will be in tight to make the team. He was OK, but there were a lot of players that really stepped up and looked pretty good. I'm not sure if a single poster had him on the team in the proposed WJ team after watching the camp.

It really comes down to offensive upside. Lots of guys there can play a checking role, but Paul's offensive numbers from last year paled in comparison to every other forward on the team. I'd sooner a guy like Baptiste who already has played a great checking role on an international stage, and who had more goals that Paul had points last year.

My guess based on the talent at the camp is Paul will have to score at about a 1.5 PPG clip to get an invite. I just cannot see that kid of jump as that is double his numbers from last year.

I don't think that is how the selection process is made. For Starters, nobody on North Bay is going to put up 1.5 PPG, and I don't think Paul is making/made a case for himself based on numbers, otherwise why did they invite him to the summer camp?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad