Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kid is humungous big.

ilya-bryzgalov-hbo-24-71-300x326.jpg

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Very cool to see how much his stock has risen. I for one believe Jim nills comments about us getting 3 really good intriguing prospects, and gave a shout out to our scouts.

I saw Paul as a complete and total throw in based on his offensive production in north bay. I knew they were a defense first, team focused style of play, but its still cool to know that he's got some high end skills (and potential untapped offense) to go along with that big frame of his.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Can't watch the video at work but thanks for the link

I especially liked the Simon Belmont reference; I'm a big Castlevania fan

I wish we could get a little more insight into Guptill but so far Paul looks like he could be a good player and Chiasson had a good rookie year

Everyday I find myself liking the Spezza trade more and more

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
His Playoff Performance last year was remarkable and you can find talent in the later rounds. Just look at LA last year, they got Hudson Facshing and got traded to Buffalo for. Two 2nds, Paul goes in another deal later for Spezza. I'm really starting to Like Pauls potential ! If he makes the WJ Roster than he is definitely a stud and a high rising player

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
His Playoff Performance last year was remarkable and you can find talent in the later rounds. Just look at LA last year, they got Hudson Facshing and got traded to Buffalo for. Two 2nds, Paul goes in another deal later for Spezza. I'm really starting to Like Pauls potential ! If he makes the WJ Roster than he is definitely a stud and a high rising player

Plenty of good players make the WJ but don't make it to the NHL though

Angelo Esposito is the poster boy: the kid was solid in juniors but he never made it to the NHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Plenty of good players make the WJ but don't make it to the NHL though

Angelo Esposito is the poster boy: the kid was solid in juniors but he never made it to the NHL

IDK about that, he was done in by injuries, specifically 2 consecutive ACL tears to the same knee.

Most guys that don't translate have "warts" like Locke's size and skating, or Hugh Jessiman's skating. Not sure Paul has anything to that extent, though he's by no means a sure thing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They're outrageous because they will never work in an actual shootout.

Yeah it's fun to watch but would you rather be Robbie Schremp or Sidney Crosby?

Anyways didn't Nick Paul gain a lot of height over the past 2 years or so? That should only increase his chances of becoming an NHL player - and hopefully he can become a good one for us.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Dude....Ho-Sang FTW and it's not even close. That was mind-bending.

I actually could be confused about who was who.

Who was it that flipped the puck in the air and knocked it one handed into the net?

Ho-Sang's was the one were he ended up on his knees on the ice doing several spins after the puck was in the net, right?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
They're outrageous because they will never work in an actual shootout.

Yeah it's fun to watch but would you rather be Robbie Schremp or Sidney Crosby?

More that those shootout moves are never relevant in an actual game, at least at the NHL level.

Linus Omark would be a similar example to Schremp. That "lob the puck over the goalie" shootout move he did had so many Oiler fans anxiously awaiting his NHL stardom....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, I'd like to see some actual game footage.

All you can really tell from shootout competitions are if the guy has basic skill and coordination in his hands. Looks like he doesn't have Neil hands from the video, but that's really about it.

Can't teach size though, and 6-3 with some skill would be nice. Question is, how much skill, and can the kid skate well enough for the NHL?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought Subban's was the best as well. I've seen that Ho-Sang move done many times, sometimes tweens hot dogging in practice. Can't do it myself but lots of kids can do that lactose stuff.

Ho-Sang's looked the prettiest, but doesn't show much transferable to in game play. Subban's was cool because it show some hand eye coordination and the ability to track the puck (while dizzy i guess?) even though he didn't have continuous sight of it.

Paul's (I think it was paul) where he flipped it up and spun once to whack it out of the air one handed was similar to Subban's, though he missed the net.

Depending on what your rating them on, all three could at the top imo. I'm getting bored of the spining/lifting the puck onto your blade shots, but Ho-Sang's was one of the prettiest of that variety that I've seen; nice flair to continue spinning on his knees after.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Ho-Sang's move is a crowd pleaser but actually not that tough (at that level). He certainly did it with unreal speed and style though.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
You guys are all nuts.

All of those moves take an incredible amount of skill. Whether or not it would work in a game is WHO CARES? It's so mesmerizing to watch the pure skill of these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad