Prospect Info: Nick Paul

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I don't think that is how the selection process is made. For Starters, nobody on North Bay is going to put up 1.5 PPG, and I don't think Paul is making,made a case for himself based on numbers, otherwise why did they invite him to the summer camp?

No, they do not put a number of what it takes to get there. But the issue is it is not about him. It is about the other players you have to be better at to get there. If you have guys with similar skills sets on checking/defensive play putting up 1.5 PPG, its hard to justify giving a camp spot to a guy putting up .7 PPG.

If they run the Dec camp like last year, the team is essentially chosen and there will be 2-3 players extra invited. That does not leave much wiggle room.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I recall reading that a scout or analyst remaked that Paul was a standout at the summer WJ camp. He put up a G and an A in two games. I don't recall who though. You would have to go back to the Prospects board and poke around.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I recall reading that a scout or analyst remaked that Paul was a standout at the summer WJ camp. He put up a G and an A in two games. I don't recall who though. You would have to go back to the Prospects board and poke around.

I'd say he made an impression, but wouldn't really call it a standout (I saw 3 of the games). He certainly made himself more visible than Domi for example.

Ultimately though the HF posters at the time had him generally ranked in the 13-16 range for forwards. And a few had bad camps. He needs to build on what he did at camp, bring that into the regular season.

Politics also come into play. I have Paul ranked 10th among the OHL forwards on the camp invite list (I have 1 Q player and 2 W players ahead of him). I'm not convinced they would consider taking 10 OHL forwards.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd say he made an impression, but wouldn't really call it a standout (I saw 3 of the games). He certainly made himself more visible than Domi for example.

Ultimately though the HF posters at the time had him generally ranked in the 13-16 range for forwards. And a few had bad camps. He needs to build on what he did at camp, bring that into the regular season.

Politics also come into play. I have Paul ranked 10th among the OHL forwards on the camp invite list (I have 1 Q player and 2 W players ahead of him). I'm not convinced they would consider taking 10 OHL forwards.

http://www.baytoday.ca/content/sports/details.asp?c=65231

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728060

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...l-makes-strong-impression-team-052930397.html

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

The comment from the coach in one of those says what I have been saying (about Paul and Gauthier)

"Overall, those are only two guys. I thought many of our guys had a good game tonight and that is a positive"

It is not how good Paul is, its about how good the competition is. He's not playing against himself, he is playing against others.

To make it, he has to beat out other guys at his position. Ritchie (who I personally was not overly impressed with but most people have on their roster), Domi (sucked at camp but a great player none the less), DalColle, Bertuzzi, Klimchuk, as well as guys tabbed as potential wingers in Fabbri, Petan, Bennett due to the strength down the middle.

I'm not down on the guy, I just realize that the WJ has a huge number of extraordinarily talented players to choose from, and that means some very good players are not going to make it. Heck, Cody Ceci never made it and look at his impact on the club not long after not making the WJ's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad