Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I've always said that I thought Nick Paul would be a excellent 4th line centre in Ottawa since he has been a very good defensive forward & faceoff guy in junior. It was a little surprising to see him playing on the top line in Belleville but it really has helped his game & added an offensive side to his game that we didn't really think he had. He reminds me a lot of Paul Gustad & that is the kind of player I thought he could be at the NHL level, but he might have more offence in his game than we give him credit for.

Either way I would like to see Paul stick & give him a significant role that he can thrive in to help his confidence as well as this team get better. After this yr's trade deadline I expect that Ottawa should have a few roster spots available & wouldn't mind seeing Paul, L. Brown & Batherson lining up together on a 3rd line. However, I doubt this coach puts three rookies on a line this season & maybe not next season either, NHL coaches seem to like a vet or two with a rookie when they are still learning the NHL game.

Colin White was a rookie last season and he was basically thrust into the #1 centre spot this season. If Logan Brown, Paul or Batherson earn their playing time, then they will get more of it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Found it, great interview. I was particularly interested in how high a regard Mann is held, and how by Paul’s account everyone is held to the same standard on the team. That would explain why certain guys were scratched who may be higher profile prospects.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Really happy he is putting it together. This team needs some size that can skate and get zone time, he has always been a late bloomer and a big guy his trajectory was always going to be a longer one.

Reactions: Frank8

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Loved the interview. The biggest thing that shone through for me was the sincerity in being accountable. Unlike most high draft picks that struggle, he didn't blame the world. He took responsibility for his play and by all accounts is doing whatever it takes to make the NHL. I'd take 3 more of him on the team in a heartbeat.

Reactions: coladin

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Tkachuk-L.Brown-Paul

Would be such a dominant line in the future if they all play to their potential. They all have average to good speed for "big" guys, they have good hockey IQ and a perfect combination of brains (Brown), strength and grit (Tkachuk and Paul).

Reactions: Frank8

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I haven’t watched a lot of games, but have been impressed with Paul’s play. Lots of energy and tenacity. IMO he’s a keeper and has more upside that will reveal itself as he becomes more established.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nice for Paul. But no the real work starts, to maintain and improve that level of play. He may never be more than a bottom 6er....but it's still a good NHL career for guys who can do it.

Reactions: DrEasy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Amazing news! So happy for Paul he deserves it, has been a beast.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Nice for Paul. But no the real work starts, to maintain and improve that level of play. He may never be more than a bottom 6er....but it's still a good NHL career for guys who can do it.

For someone who's spent most of his time in the AHL, any role in the NHL long term is a giant leap forward in overall quality of life.

Good for him. He's looked very good lately. I agree that now it's all a question of staying consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad