Nick Leddy's horrid season (defensively)

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
He was absolutely not good in his own zone last season. The one prior he was ok but it’s possible he was carried by boychuk

So it was Boychuk covering for Leddy? I just want to get the story straight for when Islander fans turn on him next (again). Maybe it's because there's no viable defensive system in place?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
So it was Boychuk covering for Leddy? I just want to get the story straight for when Islander fans turn on him next (again). Maybe it's because there's no viable defensive system in place?

There isn’t... for sure. But leddy is still horrible in his own zone. They aren’t mutually exclusive

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
So when the Islanders turned it around after acquiring Leddy and Boychuk, it was just an anomoly. Is that what I'm getting? And when everyone was trashing Calvin de Haan, it was really Leddy... or was it the goaltending.... or Boychuk wasn't good enough? Because now apparently Calvin is good again in Islander fans eyes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How do you explain the last two seasons prior to this year?

Leddy's only good (defensive-wise) season was his first year as an Islander. He's been pretty sub-par the past 3 seasons (including this one). It could be argued that was an anomaly of a season, and the real Nick Leddy has shown up in 3 of his 4 seasons on Long Island.

Leddy's ability to skate the puck up the ice, I think, makes him look a lot more effective overall than he actually is.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Oliver Chokeman-Larsson had this one in the bag, he was like a -35 after 40 games, I even made a thread about it. He was well on pace to come near one of the worst +/- seasons of all time and maybe even break the legendary record of -82 with some luck. Since then, he's actually been +2 in his last 35ish games. Really disappointing - when is the last time a guy had an opportunity at a historic record like that at the midpoint of the season and then completely blew it?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Leddy's only good (defensive-wise) season was his first year as an Islander. He's been pretty sub-par the past 3 seasons (including this one). It could be argued that was an anomaly of a season, and the real Nick Leddy has shown up in 3 of his 4 seasons on Long Island.

Leddy's ability to skate the puck up the ice, I think, makes him look a lot more effective overall than he actually is.

Wait a minute.... I've been told around here that Karlsson is the best defenseman in the world for the same reason.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
There's nothing wrong with Nick Leddy as a top pairing offensive D. Anyone watching the Islanders objectively can plainly see how awful their defensive "system" is. No one would look good playing that format, and the more minutes you get, the worse you would look.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wait a minute.... I've been told around here that Karlsson is the best defenseman in the world for the same reason.

Karlsson's vastly superior to Leddy in all aspects offensively, and is better positionally in the defensive zone. That's a weird defense of Leddy.

Leddy, IMO, is more similar to guys like Shattenkirk and Justin Schultz. Good offensively, but not guys you want matching up against the other team's best defensively. Ideally, all three are high-end second pairing guys who are sheltered behind a better top pairing.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Oliver Chokeman-Larsson had this one in the bag, he was like a -35 after 40 games, I even made a thread about it. He was well on pace to come near one of the worst +/- seasons of all time and maybe even break the legendary record of -82 with some luck. Since then, he's actually been +2 in his last 35ish games. Really disappointing - when is the last time a guy had an opportunity at a historic record like that at the midpoint of the season and then completely blew it?

Perhaps it was you who blew in your analysis.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leddy is a good defenseman on a bad team with horrible goaltending. This shouldn't be shocking to anyone.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Leddy, IMO, is more similar to guys like Shattenkirk and Justin Schultz. Good offensively, but not guys you want matching up against the other team's best defensively. Ideally, all three are high-end second pairing guys who are sheltered behind a better top pairing.

So wait a second, if he's expected to be a Shattenkirk or Schultz (out scoring both by a healthy margin)..... why are we trashing the guy for not being a shut down D? How about placing the blame where it deserves to be? The asinine "system" Doug Weight has in place

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
nyi.png

Look at that picture and you get a better understanding of why the Islanders bleed shots on goal and goals against. BOTH defensemen and the center in the same corner, with BOTH wingers well below the top of the circles and on the same side of the ice. This isn't an anomaly, this is what they are being told to do. No one covering the front of the net.... typically, the point men stay well back of the Islanders wingers. When the puck is passed to the point, everyone scrambles to get back into a box formation.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
exactly why +/- is such a terrible stat - it can trick you into thinking your best players are your worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad