Nick Leddy's horrid season (defensively)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
| Now i know that the most think plus and minus is the biggest curse word in ice hockey
and worst statistic that there is, however not all think that, not the coaches ( i think).

I think it tells a lot, even if it supposedly tells the wrong "tale",
because there are 4 other guys on the ice + goalie and other stuff too,
but i see it differently. |

Nick Leddy is having historically bad season, what comes to +/-
Nick is first d-man in nearly 20 years to have -40 number.
Yannick Tremblay (-42) of Atlanta Trashers, 1999-2000 season
- 3rd d-man since 1993-1994 season.

Nick's home +/- is staggering, -32!!!! -32!!!!, how bad is -32 at home?
- last d-man who has done worse; Greg Joly (-33) of Washington Capitals
back in 1974-1975 season, 43 years ago. 43!!!.

Nick has 24 + markers, 64 - markers this season = -40
so he has been 64 times on the ice when opponent has scored a goal,
in 75 games. in one season...

Islanders next worst (more than 60 games played ) d-man +/- ?
A: Ryan Pulock -6 -> Islanders best d-man +/- , Thomas Hickey +16

Yes, Leddy plays the most of Isles d-men, but his TOI/GP
isn't that astronomical vs his team mates.
2-4 minutes more, so his ice time doesn't explain his bad +/-

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If his home +/- goes even lower (-34 at home)
he would be the worst d-man in history of the NHL
what comes to +/- at home :( .

Think what you will about plus and minus
but, i highly doubt anyone wants to be worst at something.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A better stat to actually measure defensive impact would be xGA, where Leddy is the second worst among d-men in the league. He's beaten by Cody Ceci, who is on for as many goals against while having significantly worse xGA and getting better goaltending. Ceci does have worse zone starts, but not enough to make up for the difference in performance.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I went and re-checked, his -32 at home is not only 2nd worst by d-man in history of the NHL
(Greg Joly's -33 being the worst) its 2nd worst by all players, yikes.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A better stat to actually measure defensive impact would be xGA, where Leddy is the second worst among d-men in the league. He's beaten by Cody Ceci, who is on for as many goals against while having significantly worse xGA and getting better goaltending. Ceci does have worse zone starts, but not enough to make up for the difference in performance.

good point.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Just have a 2 part question because I never watch the Islanders. How much of that is Nick Leddy and how much is that on a coached system that's on pace for giving up almost 300 goals against in a 82 game season?

Reactions: ds4130

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Certainly adds context to Barzal's, Bailey's, and Lee's stats. At what point do you stop blaming just the Dmen , and start looking at the whole team structure and how they play?

Is the goaltending that bad? Because that can be a whole other side to things....

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Just have a 2 part question because I never watch the Islanders. How much of that is Nick Leddy and how much is that on a coached system that's on pace for giving up almost 300 goals against in a 82 game season?

It's both. Doesn't help that Boychuk and de Haan went down early in the season and shouldered the load for the teams #2 and #3 being out. That being said, he's been atrocious. Much like the rest of the Islanders, he started slow, picked up enough points to warrant being in Norris conversations and when the team fell apart he got worse and worse. His decision-making has been terrible. The other night he didn't close the gap at all on successive two on one's.

I don't think this is the Nick Leddy we'll see next year but this is a write-off season for him. I am not going to read into it too much, he's just been terrible. Mentally he must be a mess right now. Challenged by Weight at the beginning of the season and then left out to dry while Weight employed a system that allows the puck movers to move into the zone without any pressure.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Leddy was overrated pretty severely by Isles fans last year (I literally saw Leetch comparisons) but he is certainly not THIS bad defensively. He is just on a bad defensive team with poor goaltending.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nick Leddy is a guy who excels in bottom-pairing situations with sheltered minutes. He is serviceable on the middle-pairing if injuries occur. You don't want him there long-term, though.

There are no sane scenarios where he should ever face the toughest competition.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nick Leddy is a guy who excels in bottom-pairing situations with sheltered minutes. He is serviceable on the middle-pairing if injuries occur. You don't want him there long-term, though.

There are no sane scenarios where he should ever face the toughest competition.
I think the league is trending somewhat towards pushing these offensive types to take on tough situations, because if you can get it to work you will be hard to beat. The future of D is that there will not be such thing as a shutdown pairing, not unless you are talking about some bottom pairing that's only job is to run down the clock, but even then you'd prefer to have some good puck moving D down there

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think the league is trending somewhat towards pushing these offensive types to take on tough situations, because if you can get it to work you will be hard to beat. The future of D is that there will not be such thing as a shutdown pairing, not unless you are talking about some bottom pairing that's only job is to run down the clock, but even then you'd prefer to have some good puck moving D down there

I agree, atleast to a degree.

That being said. If you have a below average team that spends a lot of time in his own zone and the top guys in your D core can't defend, you are screwed.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Nick has 24 + markers, 64 - markers this season = -40
so he has been 64 times on the ice when opponent has scored a goal,
in 75 games. in one season...

Are you sure this is right? That doesn’t even seem like very much.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Are you sure this is right? That doesn’t even seem like very much.

That's not the worst number in that sentence. For a guy as offensive as Leddy, to be on the ice for only 24 goals for at even-strength is just brutal.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
That's not the worst number in that sentence. For a guy as offensive as Leddy, to be on the ice for only 24 goals for at even-strength is just brutal.
That’s what I meant seems too low

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Leddy is fine. Take any defensive metrics concerning the Islanders with a grain of salt... the idiotic "system" they are playing where everyone goes into the corner at the same time, and covering the front of the net, weak side winger and shot from the point is just a suggestion comes with obvious results. It's not a rare occurance in the Islanders "system" for both defensemen to be fighting for the puck in the same corner while both wingers hover below the top of the circles on the same side of the ice.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I don’t know why fellow islanders fans defend him. He f***ing sucks and it’s been apparent he can’t play defense for a long time. People defend him because they are jaded by his elite skating but he simply cannot play defense.

He’s ok as a a 4-6 dman (3 if he’s playing his best) but nick leddy on the top pairing is a disaster

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Certainly adds context to Barzal's, Bailey's, and Lee's stats.
Is the goaltending that bad? Because that can be a whole other side to things....

Oh does it? So what context does Thomas hickeys +15 add?

Goaltending was dreadful for about half the season but leddy has been a mess on his own. So many goals against when he’s on the ice come from opposing players passing right through him when he’s standing in front. He’s been the worst defenseman on the team aside from seidenberg.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Leddy was overrated pretty severely by Isles fans last year (I literally saw Leetch comparisons) but he is certainly not THIS bad defensively. He is just on a bad defensive team with poor goaltending.

Leddy had ~20 games of Norris caliber play to begin the season but our style is not sustainable and Leddy really should be a 2nd pairing offensive Dman. When DeHaan went down, our defense lost any structure it once had.

Long story short Leddy is not close to as bad as this number implies, though it tells al ot about our coaching staff.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don’t know why fellow islanders fans defend him. He ****ing sucks and it’s been apparent he can’t play defense for a long time. People defend him because they are jaded by his elite skating but he simply cannot play defense.

He’s ok as a a 4-6 dman (3 if he’s playing his best) but nick leddy on the top pairing is a disaster

How do you explain the last two seasons prior to this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad