Nick Leddy is on fire

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Always liked Ledpipe and happy to hear he's doing well. Would've loved to have kept him on the Hawks, but it was him or Oduya, and while I don't know how Leddy would've handled the 14-15 season in Chicago, I know Oduya was able to do enough right for us to win a cup.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Haven't seen any threads on him, but thought he deserved some love. Had a career year last year of 46 points, currently has 20 points in 23 games, with 19 in his last 16 and 7 in his last 4.

On pace for over 20 goals and 70 points over the entire season. He's also only 26 and given that defensemen often peak later than forwards could this be the start of a new chapter for him offensively?
I've posted about him. And how good he has been not only statistically but watching him in game action this year. One of the Best kept secrets in the NHL. If he was playing for a large market team he would be garnering Norris consideration.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Always liked Ledpipe and happy to hear he's doing well. Would've loved to have kept him on the Hawks, but it was him or Oduya, and while I don't know how Leddy would've handled the 14-15 season in Chicago, I know Oduya was able to do enough right for us to win a cup.

I would GLADLY drive Nick Leddy to the airport if it meant the Islanders win the Cup after he's gone.

That being said, he had a rough start last season due to Capuano's refusal to break up the Leddy/Hamonic pairing, which was brutal.

Besides that one stretch, he's been our best defenseman consistently. To echo previous posters thoughts, I'm not sure I've ever seen a smoother skating d-man. Maybe Malakhov his first couple of years.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
You can’t argue with a Cup, but we are grateful that you had to give up someone and we were able to get Leddy,

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Leddy is one of the best skating defenseman in the NHL. Weight has always encouraged Leddy to rush the puck up the ice as much as possible. One of the few players who could keep up with Mcdavid when he played against the Oilers earlier this season.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I think Leddy is a classic case of a player that didnt realize how good he was. Last season and especially this season he is just starting to realize how good he really is. I dont know if Weight had a hand in that or not, but the timing of his breakout lines up well with Weights tenure as coach.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Their cap situation at the time was never going the allow them to sign him to a long term deal.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I remember in the first round of the 2009 draft, and it was Minnesota's turn to pick. Everyone knew Minnesota was going to pick a homegrown kid, and everyone assumed it was going to be the more popular pick at the time, Jordan Schroeder. Lots were upset about this one. One year after the trade, Jordan Schroeder looked like the right guy while Leddy had an okay but not too impressive in his first season. Dude, then gets packaged with Kim Johnsson in exchange for Cam Barker... To think that Gophers team was filled with potential NHL talent and all of them failed to live up to the hype, while Leddy somehow managed to make the Hawks team, win a cup and rest is history.

Too many what ifs here, but that usually is the first thing that pops in my head when i think of Nick Leddy....

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah that's true, it's just weird because I forgot guys that they had guys like Oduya still, who was good. Still though, keeping Oduya and trading Leddy seems like a very questionable move. Hell, a lot of Chicago's moves in recent years seem questionable.

I wouldn't question Chicago too hard. 3 cups - and unlike Pittsburgh did so without a Crosby or Malkin level talent at the core.

They've won cups and pretty much competed every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad