Nick Leddy is on fire

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Haven't seen any threads on him, but thought he deserved some love. Had a career year last year of 46 points, currently has 20 points in 23 games, with 19 in his last 16 and 7 in his last 4.

On pace for over 20 goals and 70 points over the entire season. He's also only 26 and given that defensemen often peak later than forwards could this be the start of a new chapter for him offensively?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Isles inked him to a long extension in his first season here. I think Chicago was cap crunched and their defense was pretty stacked.

Yeah that's true, it's just weird because I forgot guys that they had guys like Oduya still, who was good. Still though, keeping Oduya and trading Leddy seems like a very questionable move. Hell, a lot of Chicago's moves in recent years seem questionable.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Glad to see Leddy get some love, he is criminally underrated around here IMO.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
My fantasy team is thrilled about his recent hot streak. Leddy is a great player though. One of most underrated and least talked about smooth skating offensives defensemen in the league.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Haven't seen any threads on him, but thought he deserved some love. Had a career year last year of 46 points, currently has 20 points in 23 games, with 19 in his last 16 and 7 in his last 4.

On pace for over 20 goals and 70 points over the entire season. He's also only 26 and given that defensemen often peak later than forwards could this be the start of a new chapter for him offensively?

I wouldn't necessarily say a new chapter offensively. I think the Islanders becoming a better team and clicking on multiple cylinders offensively lets a guy like Leddy flourish. It's more of a team thing. Puck goes through Leddy a lot and when forwards can make a lot of plays and finish, you can rack up the points.

However, new chapter for Leddy as a player? Why not. It's easy to forget this guy has quietly played top pairing minutes for the Islanders for 3 years now. I've always felt like dmen benefit the most from experience, part of the reason why they tend to hit their primes later.

It's funny how we've had all these 25-26 year olds looking like they're having career years this season. Good reminder that you can always get better. Growing confidence isn't related to age.

Reactions: PWJunior

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The Isles inked him to a long extension in his first season here. I think Chicago was cap crunched and their defense was pretty stacked.

Him being traded in October and not early in the summer kind of paints a picture in my mind at least that they wanted to try and keep him and make it work under the cap.

Yeah that's true, it's just weird because I forgot guys that they had guys like Oduya still, who was good. Still though, keeping Oduya and trading Leddy seems like a very questionable move. Hell, a lot of Chicago's moves in recent years seem questionable.

In heinsight yea a bit but Leddy was also always stuck on the bottom pairing here, Q never really seemed to trust him. Oduya also was a extremely reliable top 4 and formed a great shutdown pair with Hjalmarsson (even both making team Sweden in Vancouver and Sochi)

There was also probably the belief that guys like Dahlbeck, TVR, and Clendenning (lol) were NHL ready after many great seasons in rockford, in TVR's case showing he could play at an nhl level. Pokka has been a letdown though being one of the isles very best prospects im just glad we at least made a positive move with Clendenning for Forsling to offset it a bit.

Leddy is a pretty good representation of what teams would love to have in a modern dman now though.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Weirdly underrated, last year people laughed when Doug Weight said McDavid May be the only better straight ahead skater than him and then seeing Leddy catch him a few weeks ago (Oilers still scored) in OT was terrific.

I believe as far as the transition game goes, only Karlsson is better.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Q trusted Oduya more than Leddy. Leddy barely got the playing time his performance (and potential) merited.

To be fair, the season after he left, they went an won a cup largely on the back of 4 dmen including Oduya...so if one of the 4 guys remaining was a guy that Q didn't trust, they would have been ****ed.

That, and Oduya was making like...3mil, Leddy was making 5.5 in NYI. So even if they chose Oduya over Leddy, they would have had to shed something to keep him. And why do that for a player your coach won't play above te 3rd pair?

I guess you could move out the coach if you REALLY loved the player, but he had coached the team to two cups and 2 WCFs at that point, then went on to another cup. So that's a ballsy move over Nick Leddy, great as he is.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Q trusted Oduya more than Leddy. Leddy barely got the playing time his performance (and potential) merited.

To be fair, the season after he left, they went an won a cup largely on the back of 4 dmen including Oduya...so if one of the 4 guys remaining was a guy that Q didn't trust, they would have been ****ed.

That, and Oduya was making like...3mil, Leddy was making 5.5 in NYI. So even if they chose Oduya over Leddy, they would have had to shed something to keep him. And why do that for a player your coach won't play above te 3rd pair?

That game 7 goal with him basically screening crawford is still brutal to watch

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
That game 7 goal with him basically screening crawford is still brutal to watch

He was put on the ice with a line of Versteeg-Handzus-Bollig, had his stick knocked out of his hands by Williams, had to recover it and head to the front of the net because 2 of those guys had no idea where to be and the other was too slow to get where he needed to be.

He could have played it better, but no player's fate should ever be decided on the basis of one play, and I doubt that was what got him shipped out of town.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The main concern with Leddy continues to be after April 10. He has continued to show signs wth the Isles of the same issues in the postseason that caused Quenneville to run him out of Chicago. His series against Washington and Florida in 2015 and 16 were just terrible and the team largely won in spite of him

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
SHHHHHHHH Leddy sucks. Not sure what you are talking about. Overated.

Last edited by a moderator:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Weirdly underrated, last year people laughed when Doug Weight said McDavid May be the only better straight ahead skater than him and then seeing Leddy catch him a few weeks ago (Oilers still scored) in OT was terrific.

I believe as far as the transition game goes, only Karlsson is better.

Leddy doesn't pass the puck in transition, he just carries it at will into the offensive zone. It's insane how low effort his stride looks while he just blows past everyone. His hands are underrated too, he's a 1 man transition game. He's finally fully embraced what he does best and Weight has full confidence in him.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The main concern with Leddy continues to be after April 10. He has continued to show signs wth the Isles of the same issues in the postseason that caused Quenneville to run him out of Chicago. His series against Washington and Florida in 2015 and 16 were just terrible and the team largely won in spite of him
Wait what?

Isles beat Florida on the backs of Tavares, Leddy and Greiss individual efforts.

Florida had nothing vs Leddys zone entries and he was the second best dman in the first round behind Hedman IMO

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks for this thread. You can kiss Leddys point streak goodbye!!!

Seriously though he’s been great since he’s been an islander.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
One of the most underrated. Now team usa will have to take notice.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3