Injury Report: Nick Foligno (Lower Body)

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Dubas should be blasted now (and at the time of the trade) for knowingly paying a 1st round pick for Nick Foligno. He did already have an injury, but I'm not sure if this is the same one or how serious it was

It was a typical Leaf tradeline move, trade a 1st for a good player who's past their prime. Prime isn't always about ability, its includes durability too and gritty, power forward types age in dog years. Theres no doubt if healthy he gave this team what we need though.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Getting Foligno for playoffs only for him not to be playing/contributing when needed most especially with JT down as well has been unfortunate. Someone mentioned he's always been injured is this true?

70 or more games 9 times

The90

Feb 27, 2017
It was a typical Leaf tradeline move, trade a 1st for a good player who's past their prime. Prime isn't always about ability, its includes durability too and gritty, power forward types age in dog years. Theres no doubt if healthy he gave this team what we need though.
I think you meant to type trade a first for a gritty veteran depth piece with leadership. He’s not supposed to be a star. That’s not what the leafs needed or they would’ve tried for hall. Unfortunate he’s been injured but I still like the pickup.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He got injured skating to the Habs net in a regular season game for us I believe.

I don't think we acquired an injured player. I also don't know if I would play him if he wasn't 100% or they're not confident they have some pain killing options available.

He's been good for us when playing but if he's not able to contribute right now, hopefully we can close the series without him.

Really hoping for a win tonight.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That second line was doing well, let’s hope Foligno has an impact. So far this trade is a bit of a dud.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

How many bottom 1st round picks are in the NHL let alone on the Leafs?

However many you find, there will be even fewer plucked out this year. You can't worry about 4-5 years down the road if you decide you have a strong team today. Leafs had no Cap space and finished first in their division. You go for it or you wonder "what could have been".

Some teams are a merry-go-round of 1st round picks who never make the big splash. I think of the Oilers a few years ago when Taylor Hall was there. They had year after year of top picks, nothing to show for it. Who wants that?

I have no problem with the trade. Leafs were always going to pay a premium, and usually do because of the pressure. It's one reason why I say just get rid of the hard tax and make it a luxury tax, that way Leafs can have many more options they will simply pay with cash rather than draft picks and won't be resigned to a smaller number of players at the deadline.

Reactions: smitty10

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
How many bottom 1st round picks are in the NHL let alone on the Leafs?

However many you find, there will be even fewer plucked out this year. You can't worry about 4-5 years down the road if you decide you have a strong team today. Leafs had no Cap space and finished first in their division. You go for it or you wonder "what could have been".

Some teams are a merry-go-round of 1st round picks who never make the big splash. I think of the Oilers a few years ago when Taylor Hall was there. They had year after year of top picks, nothing to show for it. Who wants that?

I have no problem with the trade. Leafs were always going to pay a premium, and usually do because of the pressure. It's one reason why I say just get rid of the hard tax and make it a luxury tax, that way Leafs can have many more options they will simply pay with cash rather than draft picks and won't be resigned to a smaller number of players at the deadline.

I'm not upset trading the pick, its more of trading it for a guy whos ran into injury problems almost as soon as he got off the plane. I like Folgino and like I said, he filled our needs when healthy, but until he plays its a bad trade when there were a few other options out there. It definitely feels like this is the kind of thing thats gonna linger.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

To be fair 90% of the guys moved at the tdl are older vets.

Teams aren't exactly open to trading young core assets for a couple of late picks.

I wouldn't say it's a uniquely Leafs thing to do

Reactions: TheScandal89

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs finished good enough in the standing the pick is practically a 2nd round pick, which has a 44% success rate of acquiring a player who'll make it.
People acting like Toronto has no future because Dubas traded it away.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I'm not upset trading the pick, its more of trading it for a guy whos ran into injury problems almost as soon as he got off the plane. I like Folgino and like I said, he filled our needs when healthy, but until he plays its a bad trade when there were a few other options out there. It definitely feels like this is the kind of thing thats gonna linger.

It's frustrating to everyone, himself more than anybody I'm sure. He came here motivated and pumped.

I also wonder if that collision with Matthews shook him up? Who knows. Neither of them were expecting the hit.

Hopefully Leafs win tonight regardless and we can see both Foligno and Tavares in the lineup at some point.

Reactions: TheScandal89

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
He got injured skating to the Habs net in a regular season game for us I believe.

I don't think we acquired an injured player. I also don't know if I would play him if he wasn't 100% or they're not confident they have some pain killing options available.

He's been good for us when playing but if he's not able to contribute right now, hopefully we can close the series without him.

Really hoping for a win tonight.
He was grimacing some during game 2

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Seeing fans in the stands it really puts in perspective how much better playoff hockey is with fans vs without

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He should not have played today. Pathetic showing. Even if the medical staff clears him the hockey operations people should be smart enough to scratch him because he sucks ass.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
The price paid sucked at the time and sucks even more now. I really wanted the guy to prove me wrong, but even a 100% healthy Foligno is a 3rd liner on this team.

Really, really bad trade by Dubas. But who cares cause this draft is a crap shoot anyway right? You dangle a 1st round pick you better be getting a legit difference maker back. Horrible asset management.

Reactions: Kurtz

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Dubas should be blasted now (and at the time of the trade) for knowingly paying a 1st round pick for Nick Foligno. He did already have an injury, but I'm not sure if this is the same one or how serious it was
He got his current injury in Toronto.

Now, I think he just keeps reagravating the same thing rushing back but that part I’m not sure of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad