Nick Bjugstad vs Brock Nelson vs Anders Lee

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
People complain about Okposo. Well what has he done? He went from NCAA to start the year to NHL to end the year hen he left. tDon did not mess him up that much did he? You cannot just number watch.

Actually, Okposo has been pretty doggone good.

Hit a few developmental walls along the way the past two years, but he's been playing his best NHL hockey to date over the past 3 or 4 weeks.

He's been an absolute monster at times, also in a backchecking capacity. It must be really tough to play against him because he's kind of got this octopus thing going. Slippy, sliding - seems like he's got 8 arms sometimes the way he hounds the puck and opposition puck-carriers. It's very difficult to separate him from the puck as well.

In general, once he gets a quicker shot release (i.e. decision to actually take a shot and shorten his wind up, whether slapping or wristing it) and begins acknowldgeing some more of the passing options he currently sometimes chooses to ignore, the sky will be the limit for him.

I.e., I don't think anyone in-the-know would say anything other than that it was absolutely the right thing to do for the Isles to remove him when they did. They haven't looked back since.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Actually, Okposo has been pretty doggone good.

Hit a few developmental walls along the way the past two years, but he's been playing his best NHL hockey to date over the past 3 or 4 weeks.

He's been an absolute monster at times, also in a backchecking capacity. It must be really tough to play against him because he's kind of got this octopus thing going. Slippy, sliding - seems like he's got 8 arms sometimes the way he hounds the puck and opposition puck-carriers. It's very difficult to separate him from the puck as well.

In general, once he gets a quicker shot release (i.e. decision to actually take a shot and shorten his wind up, whether slapping or wristing it) and begins acknowldgeing some more of the passing options he currently sometimes chooses to ignore, the sky will be the limit for him.

I.e., I don't think anyone in-the-know would say anything other than that it was absolutely the right thing to do for the Isles to remove him when they did. They haven't looked back since.

This is my take on the Okposo thing. He wanted to play NHL after his freshmen year. The Isles wanted him to go back. Oksposo had his head in the clouds. When it was clear he was not focused on school or on the rink. The Isles went ahead and told him to come aboard.

Now and good GM, coach, parent what ever. You take the pressure off of the player of kid and blame the previous team and re-focus the pressure. Thats what the Isles did. Let Okposo play and shift the fight to Snow.

You know Okposo still comes to Marriucci and practices in the off season.

Lucia made Okposo and Wheeler play center as they were the best options. Wheeler is now an NHL PKer. Had he played else where. He might be an AHL power foward.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
We win the NCAA on 02 and 03
The conference in 06 and 07
The conference tourney in 03 , 04 and 07

He gets sick in 08.

There were times in the last few years we had 11 forwards and 6 d men. To play a game. Little things. No competition in practice, no urgency for playing time. No future plan for players leaving early.

Didn't coach K leave Duke a for a year or two when he got sick. In rerospect tDon should have taken some time off. And there would be any discussion. But he stuck it out and tried 100% even when he was 50%. Thats the kind of guy i want going forward.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Frankly, Lee's numbers are somewhat shocking. At this point he might as well sign and try to make the team.

Some of us at the Isles board were mulling this idea over. He'll get a chance to show what he can do at camp (provided he can affford to attend. :facepalm: @ NCAA rules) but unless he totally blows the coaching staff out of the water, he'll play at least one more year in the NCAA.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
I'm all for Lee coming aboard. He is old enough for the AHL, so whats the problem? I would rather him get used to playing with bigger guys that are closer to playing in the NHL than college players. Imagine Lee on this current team that we have? We could definitely use his size.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
People complain about Okposo. Well what has he done? He went from NCAA to start the year to NHL to end the year hen he left. tDon did not mess him up that much did he? You cannot just number watch.

My biggest peeve is putting a natural born winger at center

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Lee's numbers would be shocking if he was 2 years younger.

Do you know anything about Anders Lee's path to college hockey or just going by his DOB?
You know he had a choice btwn starting qb at a division 1 school or hockey? To me that shows he couldn't have possibly put as much effort into hockey as most kids.
He chose hockey the year he was drafted. He focused just on hockey for the past 2 yrs & he's been incredible.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Lee's numbers would be shocking if he was 2 years younger.

Perif, I always enjoy reading your posts but this one is a little ridiculous. How can you not be impressed with his production this year, regardless of his age? I understand that the age difference should make it easier for him to put up points, but

A) the amount of goals/points he has put up is still more than anyone could have predicted him to score, even if you took his DOB into account, and

B) the kid is still very raw in terms of his overall experience playing the sport. He has been bouncing back and forth between hockey and football, and could have played D1 NCAA Football as a QUARTERBACK(!!!!) if he wanted to. I don't know if you are familiar with football but regardless of how talented you are, you need to devote a LOT of time and energy to the sport in order to have the opportunity of playing Division One football, especially at the QB position which requires not just a lot of practice, but a lot of studying as well. So even though he is older on paper, he probably has less total experience than a lot of NCAA hockey players, and at least 90% of the actual legit prospects. IMO that helps balance out the age difference.

However, now that football is out of the picture and hockey is getting his undivided attention, is it really that farfetched to see him rapidly progress from year to year? I am very high on this kid and see him battling it out with Cizikas for the Isles 3rd line center role of the future. I do think his potential is higher than that of a 3rd line C, but with Tavares and Nielsen/Bailey, he might have to settle with that barring some extreme progression in the next year or two.

As far as next year goes, I really hope he turns pro and heads to Bridgeport. I think the combination of his age, size, and his overall production this season(on the scoresheet and off), it makes a lot of sense to bring him over to the AHL to further develop his game. God knows Bridgeport can use some solid young talent, since they usually get skipped over by the better Islanders prospects. I'd give Lee at least one, but probably two full seasons of top-6 hockey in the AHL to see what we really have here.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Perif, I always enjoy reading your posts but this one is a little ridiculous. How can you not be impressed with his production this year, regardless of his age? I understand that the age difference should make it easier for him to put up points, but

A) the amount of goals/points he has put up is still more than anyone could have predicted him to score, even if you took his DOB into account, and

B) the kid is still very raw in terms of his overall experience playing the sport. He has been bouncing back and forth between hockey and football, and could have played D1 NCAA Football as a QUARTERBACK(!!!!) if he wanted to. I don't know if you are familiar with football but regardless of how talented you are, you need to devote a LOT of time and energy to the sport in order to have the opportunity of playing Division One football, especially at the QB position which requires not just a lot of practice, but a lot of studying as well. So even though he is older on paper, he probably has less total experience than a lot of NCAA hockey players, and at least 90% of the actual legit prospects. IMO that helps balance out the age difference.

However, now that football is out of the picture and hockey is getting his undivided attention, is it really that farfetched to see him rapidly progress from year to year? I am very high on this kid and see him battling it out with Cizikas for the Isles 3rd line center role of the future. I do think his potential is higher than that of a 3rd line C, but with Tavares and Nielsen/Bailey, he might have to settle with that barring some extreme progression in the next year or two.

As far as next year goes, I really hope he turns pro and heads to Bridgeport. I think the combination of his age, size, and his overall production this season(on the scoresheet and off), it makes a lot of sense to bring him over to the AHL to further develop his game. God knows Bridgeport can use some solid young talent, since they usually get skipped over by the better Islanders prospects. I'd give Lee at least one, but probably two full seasons of top-6 hockey in the AHL to see what we really have here.

Blinkman-

What's up? I think my one sentence post should have been longer to explain my thoughts fully. So let me do that now. :)

I am very impressed with Lee. Not just impressed, but real excited about his potential. While I'm not 100% yet, I'm mostly convinced that we found a future NHL regular...And a productive one at that.

And I know all about his "choosing hockey late over football" history. That too is quite impressive how far he's come.

Now I've read quotes from people who either saw him play or played with him a few years ago and they said he was/is such an impressive physical specimen that he would almost "run over people" and "do whatever he wanted on the ice." So my point was that in addition to being an amazing natural athlete, his body is more matured compared with regular freshman.

So I'm not trying to take anything away from what he's accomplished, but you have to take his age, and thus physical development, into account considering he is older. But believe me - I'm not one to overlook an Islander prospect. In his short time he's been playing hockey he's answered the bell so the more it continues, the more I will be excited.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
I like Anders Lee alot as a prospect, but the whole "he was playing two sports and is finally committed to hockey" doesn't hold much weight... What kids aren't playing 2...3... or even 4 sports up to the age of 16, 17 years old??? And if it isn't playing multiple sports, some kids are real focused on school........ All kids do more than just play hockey until they reach major junior or college...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I like Anders Lee alot as a prospect, but the whole "he was playing two sports and is finally committed to hockey" doesn't hold much weight... What kids aren't playing 2...3... or even 4 sports up to the age of 16, 17 years old??? And if it isn't playing multiple sports, some kids are real focused on school........ All kids do more than just play hockey until they reach major junior or college...

Then again, how many play several sports well enough to given scholarships by Div I colleges for both/all of the sports and further, how many of those types then pick hockey over football/baseball (most common combinations)???

It definitely plays a role when comparing a kid who could have been a starting QB for a Div I football program to kids whose main devotion was to ice hockey, something that was definitely the case for Bjugstad, being the son of an ex-NHLer who played right there in Minnesota.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Then again, how many play several sports well enough to given scholarships by Div I colleges for both/all of the sports and further, how many of those types then pick hockey over football/baseball (most common combinations)???

It definitely plays a role when comparing a kid who could have been a starting QB for a Div I football program to kids whose main devotion was to ice hockey, something that was definitely the case for Bjugstad, being the son of an ex-NHLer who played right there in Minnesota.

Well Bjugstad was an all state tennis player and had to work on that.

I do agree playing multiple sports is difficult. Just the muscles used. Playing QB the mental aspect. The time devoted to a sport is compramised. Lee was playing and practicing QB for Edina and then played in the Elite league for hockey. There was no time for film or to really elvaulate his game. Those little things, the extra time spent on a small aspect of your game make huge differences.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

great post, Lee is as raw as they come but man is he one super and BIG BIG athlete. He was groomed to be a star somewhere almost like a prodigy and finally he chose his sport. He has dominated wherever he has played after being drafted by the NYI.

Even if this was his SOPH year the stats do tell alot I feel. Look at numbers from Okposo, Toews, heatley and Co, all are similiar. Lee at this point is a legit NHL prospect and what I hear has a legit NHL shot already. Any reason why we cant try him as a bruising winger? We sure could use a left handed power forward one day. Lee is what 6'2 225 right now? has a blistering shot and was trained to skate as a speed skater! Sounds like Eric lindros of all people but in reality we get clips that his skating is choppy and need work so Lee could be a project which I am sure us fans dont mind he learns his trade in the AHL for the next 2 seasons?

The isles are finally deep enough up front to let the Lee's, Cizakas Gregoire, Rhaksani, Ullstrom, joneasu (sp), Martin, Trivino, Haley's of the world develop properly with no rushing. These guys are deposits into the Isles checking account. Some will pay off and some will not. Just keep on loading up the cupboard.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Please file under "Priceless Predictions" :sarcasm:

After one season we've seen enough of these prospects to know what they're going to become at the next level? Really? I'll go ahead and be stubborn and still stand by what I said. There's still a lot of developmental time left for all three players.

With that said, Anders had a stellar year and I don't think you could find many Minnesotans that aren't pulling for the kid to be an impact player at the next level. We all want to see the kid succeed. My opinion of where he was/is in relation to these other two prospects has never changed that.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Here is your update.

Jr. Jason Gregoire (12 games 4 goals 6 assists)

Fr. Anders Lee (11 games 8 goals 3 assists)

:amazed:

What do you want? I'm an Islanders fan. I expect the worst.

The production from Lee has been incredible.

Cheers,

Dan-o

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lee had 2 goals including the OT winner in a 4-3 win in the NCAA final 16 round. Notre Dame plays again today to try get to the final 4.

Just watching highlights looks like Lee(#9) played some role in every ND goal(standing in front of the net, take a shot and a player gets a rebound)

http://www.und.com/allaccess/?media=239223

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Where does Sheahan compare to these 3?

I am guessing most would rate it

Bjugstad
Sheahan
Nelson
Lee

Due to draft status.

Both Sheahan and Nelson had 2 point nights tonight as there respective teams moved to the final 4 and have roughly the same stats for the season(with slight edge to Sheahan).

It probably should be pointed out Lee is 2 years older then the 3 guys and skating is a major issue(despite his great season). From an Islanders fan standpoint, nothing would be sweeter then seeing a Notre Dame vs University of North Dakota final

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Bjugstad
Sheahan
Nelson
Lee

Due to draft status.

Both Sheahan and Nelson had 2 point nights tonight as there respective teams moved to the final 4 and have roughly the same stats for the season(with slight edge to Sheahan).

It probably should be pointed out Lee is 2 years older then the 3 guys and skating is a major issue(despite his great season). From an Islanders fan standpoint, nothing would be sweeter then seeing a Notre Dame vs University of North Dakota final

Lee had an assist on 1st goal, provided great screen on second. He was ND best foreword, created a ton offense and kept possession. Skating issue is somewhat overblown, his balance is fine and most d-man can't move him in front of the net, he broke up a bunch of plays and was in good position on defense. For his size it's not bad and will get better.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

Bjugstad
Sheahan
Nelson
Lee

Due to draft status.

24 goals, 7GWG, All Tournament team 4pts this weekend and a team leading +4, and we are still having an issue with Lee's skating. A "Major" one at that! Would you prefer someone who could skate but can't score? Funny stuff. This weekend Notre Dame shuffled the lines and the Lee-Sheahan-Maday had 4 of the teams 6 goals. Lee was on the ice for all 6 ND goals. Despite the skating issues he seems to be finding a way to contribute.:amazed:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
24 goals, 7GWG, All Tournament team 4pts this weekend and a team leading +4, and we are still having an issue with Lee's skating. A "Major" one at that! Would you prefer someone who could skate but can't score? Funny stuff. This weekend Notre Dame shuffled the lines and the Lee-Sheahan-Maday had 4 of the teams 6 goals. Lee was on the ice for all 6 ND goals. Despite the skating issues he seems to be finding a way to contribute.:amazed:

I am just saying that people will always point out his skating as a fault, add to the fact he is not a nice shiny first rounder he will always get the short stick when people do rankings who is a better prospect

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
It really depends how a prospects is projected at the NHL level. Skating is a very important skill that is needed to get to the NHL. If there are questions about Lee's skating then this has to be a concern if Lee can make it in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad