Value of: Nick Backstrom (Draft)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The amount of quantity deals is insane... if Washington was for whatever reason to trade Backstrom it won’t be for some quantity.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Why would we do this?
Because Backstrom is a #1 C and has shown chemistry with Nylander when Nylander won MVP at the WHC. I understand liking your players but some Leaf fans are far too in love with good players that aren't exactly untouchable. People see having Kadri as a reason to not go after Tavares in FA or trade Kadri for an upgrade which is crazy imo. If you can upgrade at any position and the cap hit/trade cost isn't deadly then it makes sense. You can never be too strong up the middle. Matthews and Backstrom as a 1-2 would be amazing too.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

washcapsfan

Nov 16, 2017
Why would we do this?

Toronto would do this so fast so that Washington wouldn't have time to change their minds. Kadri is a decent player with a perennial negative plus minus, but nothing worth writing home about. Backstrom is one of the best centers in the league.

Take it to the Bank, that if Matthews could make the decision, Kadri and the first would be gone, as well as adding a 2nd and a 3rd

Backstrom's Numbers
GP G A TP +/- PIM PPG PPP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kadri's Numbers

461130161291-233273879
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Joel Ward

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I would consider a really worthy offer tbh. What I'm reading is a bunch of unworthy offers and I'm really kind.

What you give up for Backstrom:
Your best prospect (literally and even then - it depends on who is that prospect)
Very good roster player (Top-6 forward or top-4 D under the age of 30)
1st round pick this very year.

Caps have no need in trading Backstrom nor they should. But if you really want him that's the price.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
If St. Louis it would probably start with Parayko

Depending on the + I do that but if it’s to much I move on to barkov if he becomes available.

If St. Louis does acquire a center I think it ends up being tavares as a rental with the hope of resigning.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Is he playing injured this year? His stats are considerably down and it seems Kuzy has taken over the #1 C role on their team.

That said, he's still a #1 C elsewhere, and I'm sure MTL or CAR could use his services infinitely more than we could with #34 carrying our flag.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Is he playing injured this year? His stats are considerably down and it seems Kuzy has taken over the #1 C role on their team.

That said, he's still a #1 C elsewhere, and I'm sure MTL or CAR could use his services infinitely more than we could with #34 carrying our flag.
It seems like he's just having an off year this year for a variety of reasons. Kuznetsov has played on a line with Ovechkin this year a lot more than year's past which could be contributing to Kuznetsov's emergence. The caps PP isn't as good this season and Backstrom gets a lot of PP minutes. The final factor could be the decline in play from Oshie after his concussion. He started the year off hot and hasn't been the same after the concussion.

All things aside, I could see Backstrom moved in the next few offseasons if he is asking for a significant raise. The Caps will eventually have decisions to make regarding the "core" of the team with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Oshie, Kuznetsov and Carlson taking up the majority of the cap space.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He's just having a bad season, it happens even to the best players in the world. Kuzy hasn't taken over the #1C role, they rotate every now and then.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
You think we're not giving him the respect he deserves? We've been clamoring for him to be nominated for the Selke last year and people laughed at us. Please.
I think he meant from the national media/other fan bases ...but with the amount of trolling they do, it's hard to tell with Pen fans.

Everyone from the fans to local media, and even the head coach here has said he's underrated and deserved to at least be nominated for the Selke.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You think we're not giving him the respect he deserves? We've been clamoring for him to be nominated for the Selke last year and people laughed at us. Please.

I am assuming he means within the hockey world. Backstrom has been overshadowed by Ovechkin his entire career. Should he leave Washington that problem would be solved. At least I hope that's his logic... to say Washington doesn't appreciate Nick would be a tremendous falsehood.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

No i know most Caps fans do, but overall a hockey fan thinks he's a product of Ovechkin, its not fair to Backstrom, i think he's probably the best playmaker in the league and selke level center to boot.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Replacement Center.
Young cost controlled D with 1st pair potential.
High end prospect
1st

I think that's about the size of the package. It's a lot but top centers are never available and Backstrom is under contract for 2 more years.

What are the Sharks planning as far as life after Thornton?
Tierney + Roy + Meier + 1st is the closest we have within that framework. Understandably not enough, but I'd love to see Backstrom on the Sharks.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If you think Kadri and a 1st rounder gets you anywhere close to Nick Backstrom you should have your head examined. Backstrom>>>>>>>>>>>>Kadri and it's not even close

Kadri
2018 1st
Liljegren
Leivo (throw in NHL player)

for

Backstrom ?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Backstrom is an elite #1 center on a great contract. He would cost you a lot.

Probably a really good young center with #1 potential, your teams top prospect, a first and probably even another roster player

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
"Let's trade the team because we lost a game". It's just a game bro.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad