OT: Nice article about Sean Avery

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The vast majority of his teammates couldn't stand the guy.

That, more than anything he does in his personal life, or how much the fans like his antics, is why his career spiraled out of control.

If the guys in the locker room don't want you around, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. Your career is done.

It's also pretty telling considering some of the personalities that exist in the league.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are a lot of players who are a POS on the ice, but off the ice they're usually extremely nice guys. From what I gather, Avery was POS 24/7.

......and yet Sean was the first NHL player that I know of to advocate for gay rights. So while a lot of people here might want to piss all over the guy--it would be nice to remember that not everything he's done points to him being a piece of ****. He certainly didn't have to do that and I'm thinking that if he hadn't we'd still be waiting today for the first NHL'er to do so. People are all flawed and no doubt he has some flaws as well.

IMO---he gave the team an edge. A lot of the games the Rangers played during his time turned into wars and some players that didn't like him---well they might not have liked him because they didn't appreciate the extra intensity and physical play that resulted from Sean stirring the pot so much. Hockey is not and should not be a chicken **** game. The truth is though--especially after Sean first came to the team the Rangers started winning a lot and for the fans when the intensity is up and your team is winning those are fun games to watch......so if you want me to say bad things about the guy----sorry it ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I liked Sean as a player --- it's too bad he couldn't find a way to channel his abilities, and he actually had quite a bit of ability, just a little bit better.

There's really no reason Avery shouldn't have consistently been netting 20-25 goals and 50-55 points during his peak years. People remember the antics, but the guy could be a pretty effective NHL player as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I liked Sean as a player --- it's too bad he couldn't find a way to channel his abilities, and he actually had quite a bit of ability, just a little bit better.

There's really no reason Avery shouldn't have consistently been netting 20-25 goals and 50-55 points during his peak years. People remember the antics, but the guy could be a pretty effective NHL player as well.

Avery could be slick but he was never a great goal scorer. Not a great shot. Kind of like Hagelin--capable of sneaking in about 15 a year. Avery was had some great board work in the offensive end turning pucks over and making nice scoring plays. His assists could have been higher---not so much the goals.

His first go round the Rangers used Sean on the PK and sometimes on the PWP. He was decent at both--though Sean conversely wasn't really that great 5v5 in his own end breaking the puck out. Kind of like Kreider--he'd get boxed in and turn the puck over. That got more and more prevalent as he got older. A better forechecker than a backchecker.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
......and yet Sean was the first NHL player that I know of to advocate for gay rights. So while a lot of people here might want to piss all over the guy--it would be nice to remember that not everything he's done points to him being a piece of ****. He certainly didn't have to do that and I'm thinking that if he hadn't we'd still be waiting today for the first NHL'er to do so. People are all flawed and no doubt he has some flaws as well.

IMO---he gave the team an edge. A lot of the games the Rangers played during his time turned into wars and some players that didn't like him---well they might not have liked him because they didn't appreciate the extra intensity and physical play that resulted from Sean stirring the pot so much. Hockey is not and should not be a chicken **** game. The truth is though--especially after Sean first came to the team the Rangers started winning a lot and for the fans when the intensity is up and your team is winning those are fun games to watch......so if you want me to say bad things about the guy----sorry it ain't going to happen.

I thoroughly enjoyed him as a Ranger. I was sad to see him leave both times. With that said, I always thought his advocating for gay rights was more about making himself a story. It was free press, and also may have ingratiated himself to the fashion community that he was into. I have a hard time believing a guy that often treats people with such disrespect had such an inclination to selflessly push human rights.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I thoroughly enjoyed him as a Ranger. I was sad to see him leave both times. With that said, I always thought his advocating for gay rights was more about making himself a story. It was free press, and also may have ingratiated himself to the fashion community that he was into. I have a hard time believing a guy that often treats people with such disrespect had such an inclination to selflessly push human rights.

I don't see any contradiction--Avery treated everyone equally, just not the way most of us want to be treated. And I do think Avery is sincere in his beliefs--it's one thing I respect about him. Whether he's an effective advocate when he speaks out is uncertain, given all the baggage he carries, but that does come from the heart.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

To me Avery was a decently skilled hockey player who took agitation and turned it into fine art.

As for him promoting himself--well maybe you're right--just as likely a maybe that some of his friends in the fashion world put him up to it. Still he did it and it's hard for me to believe that any other NHL'er could have carried that off with as much aplomb. Right guy at the right time. His notoriety came not from being a star but from the persona he carried on the ice and there were always these insinuations by opposing fans and sometimes even opposing players that he was dirty, he was chicken**** and even that he was 'gay'. He wasn't dirty or chicken**** and to be honest he never really struck me as gay either but then again maybe he also thought 'why not stick it back in the faces of those who would accuse him of such?

I understand why Torts and Sean would clash. They're both control freaks. Torts has to be in charge and Sean can only take so much authority. I don't really blame either of them for being who they are. It wasn't going to work--one of them had to go and it was Avery's turn first.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
He seems to have some significant personal/psychological issues which contribute to him generating toxic relationships/interactions with others... Sounds like he needs some serious therapy/counseling...

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He seems to have some significant personal/psychological issues which contribute to him generating toxic relationships/interactions with others... Sounds like he needs some serious therapy/counseling...

Too young to be retired and not set up for the next stage of his life. I imagine this happens to lots of NHL players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
But he did set up his next step. He probably had a better idea of what he wanted to do after hockey than most players.

That depends I guess on how you look at it. If I had been in his shoes I'd probably have given up my fancy lifestyle in NYC and gone back to Pickering Ontario. As you said in your previous post he wasn't really qualified for the positions he took and I wouldn't argue with that. Knowing yourself---your motivations and capabilities---that can take a person a lifetime. I don't think Avery was prepared nearly well enough for life after hockey. The world of fashion and celebrity is a minefield to maneuver in and it's very youth conscious and mid-30's is not young.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That depends I guess on how you look at it. If I had been in his shoes I'd probably have given up my fancy lifestyle in NYC and gone back to Pickering Ontario. As you said in your previous post he wasn't really qualified for the positions he took and I wouldn't argue with that. Knowing yourself---your motivations and capabilities---that can take a person a lifetime. I don't think Avery was prepared nearly well enough for life after hockey. The world of fashion and celebrity is a minefield to maneuver in and it's very youth conscious and mid-30's is not young.

Fair point. I guess what I was thinking that he explored interests outside the game during the summers. he wasn't one of those "hunting and fishing" guys. He seemed to have an idea that his career wasn't going to last forever and had looked into things to do after.

But, yes, those fields come with their own pitfalls.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I know it's an unspoken rule not to divulge things that were said on the ice, but I do wonder what kinds of things Avery would say to other players to get under their skin... Let's be honest, slinging your typical insults in the form of using demeaning words is not going to bother players when they are so used to this atmosphere and this type of language out on the ice... I have to think that Avery would say some extremely personal and disrespectful things, likely pertaining to the players' personal lives (even family?)... Ian Laperriere described Avery's treatment of Dustin Brown (when they were teammates) as straight out "bullying" - as Avery would target Brown for his speach impediment (lisp) and also for his girlfriend not being up to Avery's 'standards' for hockey players' wives... If he would treat his own teammate that way I can't begin to imagine the things he would say to opposition players....

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Sean is such a goon. I've actually run into him a hand full of times over the past year. Stopped to chat with him every time and he's the man. Told him how I copped his jersey at Modell's for $40 after he signed with Dallas, told him I figured he would cause havoc and finagle his way back to New York and he just had a ****-eating smirk on his face. Offered to sign the jersey too. He's writing a book at the moment. Probably will be gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad