OT: Nice article about Sean Avery

bmw2004

Mar 8, 2006
Brooklyn, N.Y.
When it came to hockey, Avery thrived on pugilism. It’s that fiery attitude that made him a polarizing figure within the sport: Fans applauded his tough play, but inside the locker room, he made teammates bristle. He carries that manner into his regular life as well.

Avery, who first played for the New York Rangers from 2007-2008, was back on the team — tail between his legs — after having been released from the Dallas Stars. This followed a six-game suspension over a controversial press-conference comment before a game against the Calgary Flames. Calgary player Dion Phaneuf was dating Avery’s ex, actress Elisha Cuthbert, and Avery said, “I just want to comment on how it’s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds.â€

Former Ranger Sean Avery’s résumé is longer than your average retired athlete.
The 36-year-old Ontario, Canada, native has dabbled in restaurants, held an internship at Vogue, consulted with fashion labels and even worked in the advertising department at Playboy.

Then, came his interests in two Tribeca restaurants, Warren 77 and Tiny’s and the Bar Upstairs, which opened in 2009 and 2011, respectively.
Avery’s partners, including Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist and restaurateur Matt Abramcyk of Beatrice Inn fame, bought him out because they had “a different vision of success,†Page Six reported in 2013.
“For the betterment of the business, they paid him to go away. He got bought out,†a source says.

His former teammate notes that Avery keeps finding “people to f - - k over,†but he’s also clever, even with his March 2012 NHL retirement announcement on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,†when he declared that he “threw [his] skates in the Hudson.â€
“He had to get ahead of the story. If he could have managed his work ethic and kept a lid on his antics, he still would have been playing. It’s not retirement if nobody wants to sign you to a contract. That’s called not having a job.
“Just look at his wedding list. None of his so-called best friends for the last 15 years were even at his wedding,†notes the former teammate.
“He was kicked off of every team he’s ever been on: Detroit, Los Angeles, the Rangers and then Dallas. He couldn’t sustain a relationship with a team.â€

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/17/volatile-sean-avery-is-destroying-hilary-rhodas-career/

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He wasn't kicked off Detroit. That's one of my pet peeves. Detroit wanted Schneider from LA and LA said they wanted Avery back. Detroit begrudgingly said yes.

He also wasn't kicked off the Rangers, at least not the first time like the article says.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When it came to hockey, Avery thrived on pugilism. It’s that fiery attitude that made him a polarizing figure within the sport: Fans applauded his tough play, but inside the locker room, he made teammates bristle. He carries that manner into his regular life as well.

Avery, who first played for the New York Rangers from 2007-2008, was back on the team — tail between his legs — after having been released from the Dallas Stars. This followed a six-game suspension over a controversial press-conference comment before a game against the Calgary Flames. Calgary player Dion Phaneuf was dating Avery’s ex, actress Elisha Cuthbert, and Avery said, “I just want to comment on how it’s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds.â€

Former Ranger Sean Avery’s résumé is longer than your average retired athlete.
The 36-year-old Ontario, Canada, native has dabbled in restaurants, held an internship at Vogue, consulted with fashion labels and even worked in the advertising department at Playboy.

Then, came his interests in two Tribeca restaurants, Warren 77 and Tiny’s and the Bar Upstairs, which opened in 2009 and 2011, respectively.
Avery’s partners, including Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist and restaurateur Matt Abramcyk of Beatrice Inn fame, bought him out because they had “a different vision of success,†Page Six reported in 2013.
“For the betterment of the business, they paid him to go away. He got bought out,†a source says.

His former teammate notes that Avery keeps finding “people to f - - k over,†but he’s also clever, even with his March 2012 NHL retirement announcement on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,†when he declared that he “threw [his] skates in the Hudson.â€
“He had to get ahead of the story. If he could have managed his work ethic and kept a lid on his antics, he still would have been playing. It’s not retirement if nobody wants to sign you to a contract. That’s called not having a job.
“Just look at his wedding list. None of his so-called best friends for the last 15 years were even at his wedding,†notes the former teammate.
“He was kicked off of every team he’s ever been on: Detroit, Los Angeles, the Rangers and then Dallas. He couldn’t sustain a relationship with a team.â€

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/17/volatile-sean-avery-is-destroying-hilary-rhodas-career/

Gee, more proof that he is a total *******.

Shocking.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The former teammate? The former friends?---who are they? The post is a tabloid and speculation and anonymity is what tabloids do to sell papers. It's an article--I just have no idea how seriously I should take any of it----and actually I don't because even if it's exactly the way they say it's got almost nothing to do with anything that's important in my life. To put it another way it's up to Sean to sort out Sean's problems if problems there are.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Avery is his own worst enemy. He walks around and treats people like he has F.U money when he doesn't and his prospects are becoming slim to none. He better smarten up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agree on that at least until Torts became the coach.

Nah, Torts had it right. Avery was always possible to go off for no good reason and do stupid **** that hurt the team and was a distraction. Torts gave him chances but Avery was unreliable as a hockey player and coaches hate that

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Really never could care less for what others thought of him. I friggin loved him on the Rangers, loved his work ethic, and enjoyed the heck out of watching him play and irritate the competition. I missed his presence and his ability to get a fire started, and to this day me and my sons think he's friggin awesome, and one of all 3 of our all time favorite Rangers (though my list is far longer).

His antics in front of Marty, that the league had to create a specific Avery rule for, was one of the funniest damndest things I've ever in my life seen and I don't give a rat's fat ass how inappropriate it was, it was downright classic and brilliant. Long live Avery!

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Really never could care less for what others thought of him. I friggin loved him on the Rangers, loved his work ethic, and enjoyed the heck out of watching him play and irritate the competition. I missed his presence and his ability to get a fire started, and to this day me and my sons think he's friggin awesome, and one of all 3 of our all time favorite Rangers (though my list is far longer).

His antics in front of Marty, that the league had to create a specific Avery rule for, was one of the funniest damndest things I've ever in my life seen and I don't give a rat's fat ass how inappropriate it was, it was downright classic and brilliant. Long live Avery!

Avery has a problem with authority. In sports that doesn't go over well. In the business world it can be a useful took if used properly. Avery is 0 for life so far in that regard.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I work in advertising and can say with certainty that Avery was not one bit qualified for the position he had at Lipman. Or at Playboy. Those positions requires years of experience and serious marketing acumen.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I miss Avery. The stick waving in fatso's face is jersey retirement worthy. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad