Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan and Brendan Lemieux recalled

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
St Louis had a better motor than Perreault even. Petan isn't close to that level of intensity/foot speed.

Petan would be lucky to have a career like Kyle Wellwood at this point.

Agree. Wellwood is likely Petan’s ceiling. He needs to develop ways to get the puck when he doesn’t have it without using speed or body, that’s all savvy and a guy like Wellwood did that. On our team Petan is like a guy wearing winter boots at a beach volleyball game. Doesn’t fit, doesn’t play fast. Will be interesting to see where he’s at now after half a season in the A.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Aw Nicky your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind , hey Nicky , hey Nicky . Can't get that out of my head now :laugh: We should do that chant at the game if Petan or Ehlers scores . :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
To be clear, I was highlighting that a little guy can have an impact without being held to the St. Louis HOF standard. I agree RE Petan though. His skating has held him back. He needs to continue to work on his first two steps and his base.
We agree. Watching Roslovic and Connor at the NHL level you can see how important their plus speed and explosiveness allows them to be effective at the NHL level. Petan has needed to improve his first couple of steps to improve his effectiveness. He has done well with Wheeler, who does a lot of the play driving and puck retrieval, but probably won't be very effective unless he has others on his line that can play that role so he can be a complementary piece. What seems clear is that the NHL has become increasingly focused on speed, so players that were effectively primarily with smarts and playmaking, etc. don't seem to be as effective now, unless they are big and exceptional like Stone.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
How about Granlund as a comparable? Small, not particularly fast, good hands, hockey sense, playmaking ability. A lot of people had him written off when he was just under a PPG in the AHL at 21.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Very happy to see Petan get another shot. Hopefully he gets a decent amount of ice time. On the bright side, he can't be stuck with Hendricks! ;)

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
To be clear, I was highlighting that a little guy can have an impact without being held to the St. Louis HOF standard. I agree RE Petan though. His skating has held him back. He needs to continue to work on his first two steps and his base.

Strange in that in his draft year, the knock on Petan from being a Top 5 pick was about 4 inches in height and 25 pounds in weight. Not skill, including skating.

St. Louis was a discarded write off by the Flames who was never supposed to make it. Worked hard, bulked up, got an opportunity.........the rest is history. Saying Petan is heading along the same path is a bit far fetched but he's worked hard and bulked up. Now needs a legit opportunity.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
How about Granlund as a comparable? Small, not particularly fast, good hands, hockey sense, playmaking ability. A lot of people had him written off when he was just under a PPG in the AHL at 21.

Granlund was somewhat lucky to have Koivu, a guy that he had obvious chemistry with (as seen from their national games), as the captain of the team. Minnesota also wasn't exactly loaded with talent, and haven't had good draft picks for a while, so they needed Granlund to pan out and gave him all the opportunities to do so.

In NHL you need to have talent and skill, but sometimes you also need good fortune. Some players just never get the chances, especially if they're late developers.

It's going to be hard for anyone to break into Jets top line-up right now.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I like having these guys come up like this. They are hungry and will NOT take the game for granted. Looking forward to seeing if Petan has grown (hockey-wise, not taller :) )

Reactions: Guerzy

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Very interested to see how Petan does with this opportunity. Wishing him well!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He's 22 and he's one of the best players in the AHL. Completely writing him off is silly. I'm not as high on him as I've been in the past, but he's still got upside.
That's hard to believe that he's one of the best in the league when he wasn't even the best on the Moose this season. Considering that Roslo and Connor started there. That Moose team was so deep.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
He's 22 and he's one of the best players in the AHL. Completely writing him off is silly. I'm not as high on him as I've been in the past, but he's still got upside.
Really excited to see Petan this time around. Just listened to JP & he says that Petan's speed is one thing he has really noticed an improvement in this time around in the AHL. Assuming he gets to play with a couple of half decent scoring wingers this time around (Lemieux & Dano), I'm really expecting to see a very different version of Petan. Like many, its taken him a couple of runs through the AHL to find his form, but he is super close to busting out IMO. Lets hope this line is given 6-8 mins TOI to prove that they belong. I'm expecting Petan & Lemieux to be super hungry, and Dano also realizes that his time to prove something is past due, so watch out

Reactions: Saintb

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
[QUOTE="adammlis, post: 141124263, member: 270999"]That's hard to believe that he's one of the best in the league when he wasn't even the best on the Moose this season. Considering that Roslo and Connor started there. That Moose team was so deep.[/QUOTE]

Well, believe it. He's in the top 10 for points and has really picked it up recently. Roslo is 6 points behind in -7 games and Connor was on the Moose for a cup of percolator coffee. Petan is a better player now than the one who made the Jets out of camp. He's absolutely one of the reasons for that Moose's success, and not just a passenger.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Well, believe it. He's in the top 10 for points and has really picked it up recently. Roslo is 6 points behind in -7 games and Connor was on the Moose for a cup of percolator coffee. Petan is a better player now than the one who made the Jets out of camp. He's absolutely one of the reasons for that Moose's success, and not just a passenger.

Ok, now this is just getting ridiculous. Petan is not even remotely close to being as good as Connor and Rolsovic. One can make the argument that Lemieux and Appleton would make more of a difference than Petan on the Jets roster, in specialty roles. I don't understand the Petan love. He is just not that good.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Ok, now this is just getting ridiculous. Petan is not even remotely close to being as good as Connor and Rolsovic. One can make the argument that Lemieux and Appleton would make more of a difference than Petan on the Jets roster, in specialty roles. I don't understand the Petan love. He is just not that good.

Not sure what (or whom) you’re calling ridiculous. I argued neither of those things.

Last edited:

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I truly want Petan to have an amazing chance and show he belongs in the NHL. I think if he's given the right shot he'll dominate at the NHL level, Martin St. Louis style.
Not sold on Petan.... tonite his game is showing why he is with the Moose

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought Petan had a very good game, but ruined it with a couple of penalties. Lemieux was meh, and also took a stupid penalty. You aren't going to impress and NHL coach taking penalties on the 4th line.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Agreed Lemieux down first, with Scheif back but ultimately I see it as hard for Petan to stick once we are fully healthy.
Yeah once Lowry is back i'd send down Petan but PoMo probably does it when Hendricks is healthy unless Petan is killing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00