Niagara IceDogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Happy draft Day to the four other Ice Dog fans on here!

Here's hoping the rumours are true and Wasslyn will be joining us with the 4th pick. I'd like to see the 2nd and 3rd rounders used on the best dmen possible.

Reactions: the dog and dirty12

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Also Luca Bonomo at 6'4 215
He's ok, but they will have better options. If Niagara is actually going to draft all North York players, Smith first, Eshkawkogan second, they may want to consider Jalen Lobo in the third and take a shot at goalie Brad Knowling with a later round pick.

If Niagara can finish out of the playoffs again, the good news is that one of the top 2009s is a North York Ranger. Camyrn Warren.

Niagara Rangers

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
He's ok, but they will have better options. If Niagara is actually going to draft all North York players, Smith first, Eshkawkogan second, they may want to consider Jalen Lobo in the third and take a shot at goalie Brad Knowling with a later round pick.

If Niagara can finish out of the playoffs again, the good news is that one of the top 2009s is a North York Ranger. Camyrn Warren.

Niagara Rangers
Wasslyn will be the first round pick.

Niagara wont be contenders by any stretch, but they will have one of the best first lines in the league this year and solid scoring depth. They won't miss again.

Reactions: frontsfan67

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Really happy for you guys. Considering the mess you guys had, drafting the to the players like Brady and Maximus is the right move. And you are actually having the best draft of any OHL team so far!

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Really happy for you guys. Considering the mess you guys had, drafting the to the players like Brady and Maximus is the right move. And you are actually having the best draft of any OHL team so far!
Little early to say that. They haven't even played a game yet in the ohl. Won't know for a year or so

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This will be interesting. I feel like last year we had one of the top draft classes in Roobroeck, Czata, Frolov and Galiyanov.

Really important that they knock it out of the park again.

dkl

Jul 11, 2022
Niagara, Canada
3rd round was interesting. Goalie seemed way off board. Dman seemed on par.
Yeah, would be nice to know literally anything about him, maybe we'll learn more tomorrow if he stops by Meridian. Can't find any stats anywhere and barely any photos, haha.

"IceDogs goalie coach, Adam Munro on Matthew Humphries, “Matthew is quite possibly the closest to OHL ready goalie in the draft. A big goalie who fills the net well and battles hard. He’s got really good reads on situational plays and can handle the puck well. Very excited to begin working with him and see him develop into a top end starter."

The other picks instill confidence this group did their homework, so I'm optimistic.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Should icedogs be concerned that 2nd rounder Maximus Crete didn't show up this weekend at meridian center?

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Should icedogs be concerned that 2nd rounder Maximus Crete didn't show up this weekend at meridian center?
I hope not...it's a long way to come shortly after the priority selection. I would think they had clarity regarding his reporting before they drafted him.

the dog

May 16, 2014
I hope not...it's a long way to come shortly after the priority selection. I would think they had clarity regarding his reporting before they drafted him.
They said that last year with 3rd round pick Haydon Reid and couldn't get him signed.

the dog

May 16, 2014
U-18 draft if I were picking for niagara fw Jaden Flora and defensemen Noah Caswell

Reid was committed to an NCAA school and had a USHL team lined up. I wouldnt report either
Why not take chance on him and draft him in later rounds. Think they were sure he was coming.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Reid was committed to an NCAA school and had a USHL team lined up. I wouldnt report either
2023. “He’s playing junior B as a 16-year-old. He didn’t get picked in the draft last year,” DeDobbelaer said. “He grew about five inches and he’s had an outstanding year.” DeDobbelaer said Reid has a four-year scholarship to Colgate on the table.

“We’ve talked to the family and talked to the boy and they’d like to play in the OHL,” DeDobbelaer said. “He’s a top-nine player right now.”

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
2023. “He’s playing junior B as a 16-year-old. He didn’t get picked in the draft last year,” DeDobbelaer said. “He grew about five inches and he’s had an outstanding year.” DeDobbelaer said Reid has a four-year scholarship to Colgate on the table.

“We’ve talked to the family and talked to the boy and they’d like to play in the OHL,” DeDobbelaer said. “He’s a top-nine player right now.”
Reid may have wanted to play for the OHL, but that doesn't mean he wanted to play for the IceDogs.

Reactions: Sam14

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
3rd round was interesting. Goalie seemed way off board. Dman seemed on par.
I believe both Wassilyn and Humphries has the same agent and apparently that agent is friends with DeDobbelaer. That is why we probably draft so many players who are represented by that agent.

dkl

Jul 11, 2022
Niagara, Canada
I don't think so, from the Ottawa area, I wouldn't blame them for not making the trip overnight. Plus he made a phone call appearance on the Dog Pound Podcast. Also said he knows/played with Wassilyn in some summer tournaments before.

dkl

Jul 11, 2022
Niagara, Canada
Obviously lines/combos/positions are subject to change, but just looking at roster construction:

K. He - Bryant (OA) - Roobroeck
Wassilyn (R) - Czata - Paris
Levin - Galiyanov - Assadourian

Frolov - Vannetten
Podrekar (IMP) - Wycisk
Cheynowski - Import?

Flores
Robertson

Undecided:
Crete (R)
Klein (OA)
Stewart
Podolioukh (OA)
E. He
Dianov
DeWatcher
Frasca (R)
McMahon (R)

No idea who the Centres will be this season. Do we see Roobroeck switch to C? Czata/Assadourian/Wassilyn can play there too. If he's as advertised, Crete is probably good enough to make the team too. Bottom-6 could literally be anyone. D still needs work, would love to see another import D at 12. I can at least see a bright light in the distance...

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad