News Article: NHL to announce a 2 hub 24 team playoff, Edmonton & Toronto?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If true, I feel bad for the rest of the league. Strome is gonna destroy them all.

Also this means Ian Mitchell would join us.

Too much generational talent on one roster.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think under this format the Hawks would qualify.

Depends on how they make the choice. Any pt% or record in 68 games system the Hawks would be in.

However other sources have said that the league was considering the top 6 of each division to fill out the 24, and in that case the Hawks would be out. While the Ducks with a lower record would be in since they're 6th in the pacific.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ideally I would rather see us in the lottery for the future of this franchise. But... I really, really wanna see what Kane and Toews can do, possibly one last time in the playoffs in their primes.

Reactions: hawksrule and KWP

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Depends on how they make the choice. Any pt% or record in 68 games system the Hawks would be in.

However other sources have said that the league was considering the top 6 of each division to fill out the 24, and in that case the Hawks would be out. While the Ducks with a lower record would be in since they're 6th in the pacific.

I feel like it's in the NHL's best interest to pick the option where the Hawks are in.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’ll be honest, I don’t need to see the Hawks get run over in the first round. They just aren’t good enough as a team.

The bigger concern the NHL won’t admit to is injuries are going to go through the roof. They’re asking players to go in relatively cold, and go 0-100 since the playoffs can be brutal. I don’t want to see one of the young guys get seriously hurt for no reason.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
24 is damn near the whole league, might as well just put all the teams into this tournament imo. Of course with 31 its off, maybe a bye for #1 or just say Detroit is the only team not invited lmao

Reactions: TPOEJ6489 and KWP

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
I’ll be honest, I don’t need to see the Hawks get run over in the first round. They just aren’t good enough as a team.

The bigger concern the NHL won’t admit to is injuries are going to go through the roof. They’re asking players to go in relatively cold, and go 0-100 since the playoffs can be brutal. I don’t want to see one of the young guys get seriously hurt for no reason.

Young bucks - can handle it. Let's play some hockey, boys.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If true, I feel bad for the rest of the league. Strome is gonna destroy them all.

Also this means Ian Mitchell would join us.

Too much generational talent on one roster.

Actually, I think the long layoff would help a guy like Strome. In general, the entire league should be a tad slower which should make him a little less vulnerable.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’d rather the hawks get a lottery pick, and I have no idea how the nhl plans to do this safely, but I could really go for some hockey.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
24 is damn near the whole league, might as well just put all the teams into this tournament imo. Of course with 31 its off, maybe a bye for #1 or just say Detroit is the only team not invited lmao

I think it's because of the bubble teams. You need numbers that work for a tournament so you can't, for example, include 19 teams in the playoffs to account for the true bubble teams.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
It feels a like a no lose situation. The Hawks are either in the playoffs or they move up to at least the 7th pick in the draft. Let's hope this plan comes to fruition.

Don’t worry. Uncle Gary’s got us covered.

bettman.jpg

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
As Snake alluded to above, it's a no lose situation for us.

With the draft in June, before any games are played, the Hawks will be guaranteed at worst 9th or 10th overall, even if we make the playoffs.

If we don't make the playoffs, it'd likely mean that they are going with the top 6 teams in each division, which would bump us up to the 7th best draft odds.

So either way, we're guaranteed a top 10 pick. But if we miss the playoffs, we jump up a little in the draft. The definition of win-win.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
As Snake alluded to above, it's a no lose situation for us.

With the draft in June, before any games are played, the Hawks will be guaranteed at worst 9th or 10th overall, even if we make the playoffs.

If we don't make the playoffs, it'd likely mean that they are going with the top 6 teams in each division, which would bump us up to the 7th best draft odds.

So either way, we're guaranteed a top 10 pick. But if we miss the playoffs, we jump up a little in the draft. The definition of win-win.
Gary is always looking out for us

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nobody will be ready for this after such a long break. The rest of the league is screwed. We're used to playing unprepared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad