NHLers you were better than...

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I think a better way to look at this might be, "NHLers who were worse than you in ONE particular aspect".

I know a handful of guys who have a harder shot than Kyle Wellwood. I use Wellwood as an example because I am close with one of his former coaches and he has told me, "Him, him, him, him, and him all have better shots than Kyle." Can they get the shot off quicker? Maybe. More accurately? Possibly. Harder? Definitely.

I'm sure there are guys on here that excel at one aspect of the game better than some NHLers, but to be better than guys that have a skill set with enough muster to make it to the NHL, let alone play 500+ games is a tough find.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i play pickup with some guys who play in german tier 2 league, and nobody can take the puck from them.and these guys will never even get a sniff of the nhl.and most of our regulars at pick up have been to minor pro camps/tryoutsor played junior A, so we're no slouches.anyone who claims to be better than a PROFESIONAL athlete is
1 delusional
2 lying
3 doesn't know the game enough to understand what he is actually saying.

SayNoToStim

Jun 2, 2008
South Korea. FTA
I think most of the people on these boards can skate better than Tomas Holmstrom. I jest, I jest.

But I think I could out-perform some of the 'enforcers' I've seen through-out the years. I honestly cant see Bob Probert outplaying me without punching me out first.

007madden007

Jul 10, 2007
I think most of the people on these boards can skate better than Tomas Holmstrom. I jest, I jest.

But I think I could out-perform some of the 'enforcers' I've seen through-out the years. I honestly cant see Bob Probert outplaying me without punching me out first.

Cuz, you know, anybody can score 29 goals in a season in the NHL.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
You know, I've played with ECHL guys that didn't really impress me, we were more or less on the same level, contributing the same.

But I've also played with an OHL guy who made me look like I can't skate.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I'm probably better than Elmer Lach, but he's 90 and I think he just had a knee replacement.

Even then, nahhhh.

no.95

Apr 27, 2006
Me, probably no-one. But I remember watching Andrew Peters here in Sweden during the lock-out and apart from taking stupid penalties he really didn't impress me (he had like 6 points in 22 games in the second tier). So I'm guessing there are some people on the board who at least skill wise are better than some league players. However, I seriously doubt that those guys are also 6'4 250lbs and would drop them with more or less anyone. So there's a reason for him playing where he is.

Steeltown

Sep 26, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
There is a show called "Pros vs Joes" on Spike TV and one of the goals was to pick the puck up, skate past Claude Lemieux and put it into an empty net, with Claude trying to knock you off the puck. They all did it, took em a couple of minutes but they did it.

There was another episode where you had to put a puck past grant fuhr in 30 shots and one guy did it, but those guys couldnt even skate and just shot weak snap shots at him.

-------------------

As far as me? I dont really know. I could skate with the best of them, had deadly and accurate snap and wrist shot, I couldnt shoot a slap shot for a 1,000,000 bucks and when I got older I had no size at all (im about as big a Theo Fleury, just 145-150 lbs)

When I was younger I was at a hockey camp with a few former NHL'ers as the camp directors (Murray Bannerman, Troy Murray and a few other guys) and they were really impressed with my skating at 11-12, they told me I was a good 5-6 years ahead for my age and I had a specal talent and urged me not to play goalie because it would be a waste of talent, I was doing spin-o-ramas and such (I wanted to be like Denis Savard, I think i did pretty well as far as skating).

Well, I was fantastic by the time I was 15 but again I couldnt shoot a slap shot for anything but that was fine with me because I could skate circles around the D and goalies. That was pretty much the end of it for me as a player. I bet skill wise I could play AHL hockey excpet for the fact I still cant shoot a slap shot for anything and the fact if I was hit I would fly or slide 6 feet. So in the long run, I have no size and cant shoot a slap shot, BUT I have phenominal skating, passing and stick handling ablility with over average hockey sense. Not to mention Im from Chicago and we had almost no hockey programs around here when I was younger to even get better at what I lacked as a player. It wouldnt havent matterd anyways because they cant teach size anywhere.

On the other side of the coin I was quite good at baseball and I was even offered a minor league contract, which I turned down because I could make more money working then playing ball. Besides I didnt want to spend my early adult life riding around on a bus with big leauge dreams. I was good but I knew I was never going to the show, Maybe if everything went as projected I would be a good AAA player, that might have seen an emergency call up a couple time in my life in the pros.

hahahaha, you were doing spin-o-rama's at some hockey camp to show off to a few players at 10 years old and got a compliment. WOW!!!! you probably could have been like one of the best ever!. Maybe the guys over at EA sports can film you doing your spin-o-ramas and implement it into their new hockey game.

Too bad you were so small, fans around the world really missed out.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I haven't played hockey since floor hockey in high school, yet I stopped shots from farther distances than he ever did.

Astrom's better than people remember him today, mainly because Don Cherry launched his post-coaching career with Hardy Astrom stories that are apocryphal at best.

Rest assured that Hardy Astrom is probably still a better goaltender than you.

Hyperkookeez*

even though even ahler's are very skilled hockey players, im sure a few hfer's could give people like rocky thompson, peter worrell, or andrew peters a good run for their money

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
hahahaha, you were doing spin-o-rama's at some hockey camp to show off to a few players at 10 years old and got a compliment. WOW!!!! you probably could have been like one of the best ever!. Maybe the guys over at EA sports can film you doing your spin-o-ramas and implement it into their new hockey game.

Too bad you were so small, fans around the world really missed out.

Haha.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
My brother actually played against a few NHLers.

Barker, Boyd, Jeff Schultz, Kris Versteeg, Shawn Belle, Coburn.

At one point he was better than most of the players, but he quit since he had 3 knee surguries by the time he was 16.

He had it all too. Size (He's 6'6, 230 lbs), skating (used to be a provicinal figure skating champion) but ran into bad luck with injuries and just didnt have the killer instinct.

Played hockey because he loved it, not because he wanted to make a career out of it.

flyguy1234*

No Nobody Is Better Than A Player In The Nhl!!! Christ, The Super Egos On Here I Swear To God!

007madden007

Jul 10, 2007
No Nobody Is Better Than A Player In The Nhl!!! Christ, The Super Egos On Here I Swear To God!

I wouldn't go that far. It is possible that there are a handful of elite (for terms of reference, I'd include anyone who has played at the major junior, college, or semi-pro levels as elite) talents on this board who just never made it to the NHL for whatever reason.

I can pretty much guarentee, though, that they're not the ones responding to this thread though! ;)

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

Like I put, my brother was better than some players in the NHL when he was playing bantam/midget and even when they were in the WHL.

He ran into bad luck with his knees and that was the end of that.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

I pushed Corey Perry off the play structure in Elementary school, therefore I'm sure I could beat him up.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

Unless you know the identity of every member of HFboards, there's no way to be sure.

I joined in 2003, about 4.5 years ago. Say back then there was some 15 year old kid who was just entering juniors. That kid could have gone a long way in those 4.5 years.

Or it could be somebody who was amazing back in the day, but ran into injuries.

If you are going to say you are in anyway better than an NHLer, you should back it up with something better than, "I tried skating once and I didn't even have to hold onto the wall! Plus, I have an awesome shot in floorball! So, yeah I'm better than Ryan Hollweg". Otherwise you'll just look conceited and foolish.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

And the topic is "Were better than" meaning at one point. Not now.

Heck, my brother played a tournament against Cam Barker in Winnipeg and Barker put up 12 points as a defenseman my brother put up 19 and was +16 for the tournament.

Was he better?

Yes.

But at 14 he needed two knee surguries and had another one when he was 16 and needs another 2 this year.

Could he have been drafted? Probably.

Now is he better?

No.

Nikita Filatov*

I could probably beat a few AHLers, but NHLers? Right now? no way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad