NHLers you were better than...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm talking about the guys who were in the league, not because they were good players, but because they had one specialty in which they were good enough to get a job.

1. Todd Marchant. if this guy wasn't fast, he would be a 3rd line checker on your average single A senior men's team. Would have made a great cyclist.

2. Cory Cross. just a big goof who can push guys out from infront of the net.

3. Mike Greer. eventually became a pretty good player, but only got a shot because he could check hard.

(obviously, i'm more familiar with the Oilers or ex-Oilers; this thread requires having watched players alot)

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
I'm talking about the guys who were in the league, not because they were good players, but because they had one specialty in which they were good enough to get a job.

1. Todd Marchant. if this guy wasn't fast, he would be a 3rd line checker on your average single A senior men's team. Would have made a great cyclist.

3. Mike Greer. eventually became a pretty good player, but only got a shot because he could check hard.

(obviously, i'm more familiar with the Oilers or ex-Oilers; this thread requires having watched players alot)

Uhh jesus buddy. I'd be willing to bet a solid chunk of change that you aren't better than any of these guys, lol. The only case you could possibly make would be for a guy like Oliwa or Worrell who was only there to fight and hardly anything else.

Marchant posted 9 straight seasons with double digits in goals...Grier has two 20-goal seasons...Cross played in the NHL for parts of 12 seasons.

I have no doubt that there are a few guys out there who may only have one specific skill that keeps them in the NHL. That said, you picked some pretty bad examples of NHLers you're better than. A better example may be like, Rico Fata who skates 20000 mph, but has hardly any other abilities - even he'd be extremely tough to justify in this situation.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Mike Grier could beat you one on one blindfolded, with one hand tied behind his back, without a hockey stick.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
My dad actually played pretty high levels, with Mark Osborne as his defence partner, all growing up my dad was better, and after having some bad experiences playing, hung them up. Mark Osborne later went on to say "...he never went pro? he was better than i was"

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I seriously doubt I'm better than any NHLer (as a matter of fact, I know I'm not), but if I had to pick one that I would have a chance against (even that's wayyyyyyyyyy underrating someone that's even stepped foot in the NHL), it's Shane Endicott...atrocious...

007madden007

Jul 10, 2007
RustE - Do you (or did you ever) play at a high level?

A third line checker on a senior team is still more talented than 99% of the people who have ever picked up a hockey stick.

Oh, if I recall correctly, Link Gaetz had 30 points one season in junior!

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Seriously, no one here is better than any NHLer unless you are someone who's in college/juniors or the AHL and on your way up to the NHL and even then, you still would probably get your ass kicked in an NHL game.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Seriously, no one here is better than any NHLer unless you are someone who's in college/juniors or the AHL and on your way up to the NHL and even then, you still would probably get your ass kicked in an NHL game.

No necessarily.

There's several players in the NHL who aren't special in any way and are only there because they made a good show for a scout or got in by good family connections.

You do know there's guy out there who's played 100 games and have yet to score a goal right?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

Well, if you watched Marchant, you'd know that he also has excellent hockey sense and a strong work ethic. Trying to erase the 2002-03 season (when he was named Oilers' MVP) from your memory.

And if you watched Grier, you'd know that he always drew rave reviews for his skating ability and size. He was one of the Oilers' best players in the 1997 playoffs when they upset the Dallas Stars.

007madden007

Jul 10, 2007
No necessarily.

There's several players in the NHL who aren't special in any way and are only there because they made a good show for a scout or got in by good family connections.

Hahahahaha.

This thread just gets funnier and funnier.

Those things might get you drafted or invited to camp as a walk-on. They will not keep you on an NHL roster (or even an AHL roster).

Even the fourth-line type of guys who "aren't special" are talented professional atheletes who could pass, shoot, hit, and skate circles around virtually everyone on this board.

You could certainly argue that there are NHLers who are barely AHL calibre, but that's about as far as you can strech the point.

You do know there's guy out there who's played 100 games and have yet to score a goal right?

So? How is that even remotely relevant to the discussion? Ken Daneyko went more than 250 games without a goal!

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I've seen a few guys who are out of the NHL play recently and it amazes me to watch them and think "These guys are this good AND THEY'RE STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE IN THE NHL!!!"

A few years ago I saw Ryan Hollweg skate and he was playing against a lot of ex-AHLers, Div I guys and they were impressed with his skill.

To be one of the bottom 30 players in the NHL you still have to be incredible.

I'm sure there are some guys on HFBoards who may could have gotten a shot but were injured, drunk, stoned, or just didn't make the right team at the right time, but they are few and far between.

To make it to the NHL is one thing. To stick there is something completely different.

Todd Marchant - 966 games played
Cory Cross - 659 NHL games played
Mike Grier - 852 games played.

These guys haven't logged those stats because they can do just one thing right and to think so is greatly disrespectful to them and the work and talent it takes to be an NHLer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The OP is mostly likely delusional to think he's better than an NHLer. Even AHL guys can usually perform highly skilled moves in practice that would knock your socks off. Even a guy like Wade Belak would deke you out in a beer league game.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Most enforcers weren't goons until they reached an age where their size was apparent and it became a ticket to getting to The Show or at least the ECHL.

I'm willing to be the answer is zero. First off, these guys are more than likely better conditioned than 99% of the posters here. Second, every player in the NHL is flat out better than anyone here on this board save for any posters who are in Juniors or the AHL, and even then I'm nto so sure.

I played roller hockey with Jim Thomson a few times here in Southern California. As an NHL player he was a fighter and didn't play that many games, bouncing around a bunch of teams. He's out there though zinging wrist shots like lasers from the opposite side of the floor into the top corner, plus he could skate and stick handle as well.

I think every poster here is pretty much out of theri respective mind if they think they are better than anyone currently in the league, including enforcers.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
I was better than Sam St Laurent but I was also four years older than he was and he hadn't become a goalie yet.

Was never as good as Peter Lee though.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Well, if bilros is correct, then I'd be better than every player from before 1980 since humanity has evolved so much since then that period of time that it would seem like they are moving in slow motion.

Seriously though, I agree with Stephen. Even the absolute worst players in NHL uniforms would be head and shoulders better than me and most people on this board. Even a lot of players who seem like crap players at the NHL are good to great players in the AHL. I mean, even Byron Ritchie was a PPG player at the AHL level.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
If you people believe that there aren't very talented players who could be or could have played in the NHL but aren't or didn't, give your head a shake. There are any number of reasons why a person wouldn't end up there. Talent isn't always one of them.

Al Bundy*

Anybody remember Hardy Astrom AKA "the guy who gave up goals in practice from the other side of the rink"?

astromqb5.png

I haven't played hockey since floor hockey in high school, yet I stopped shots from farther distances than he ever did.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Was never as good as Peter Lee though.

That's pretty cool. Were you guys teammates or opponents? He was one of my favourite players as a kid when he was with the 67s. Everybody thought he would end up being a superstar in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad