News Article: NHL'ers don't want to play in Ottawa

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't know why people can't just accept this fact, but instead, let pride drive them to mount desperate defenses of their town.

A couple of years ago, I was chilling with Georges Laraque at an event and he told me no one really wants to play in Ottawa. It had nothing to do with the lack of success of the team.

Its not about pride or defending the town, its about being logical and looking historically at the franchise.

Money talks, so does winning.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I don't know why people can't just accept this fact, but instead, let pride drive them to mount desperate defenses of their town.

A couple of years ago, I was chilling with Georges Laraque at an event and he told me no one really wants to play in Ottawa. It had nothing to do with the lack of success of the team.

That's it. It's not a real slight on Ottawa but imagine if you were 24-28 years old, making millions and you were skilled enought to have the freedom to work wherever you want in North America...would you choose Ottawa?

Maybe. Most likely not though because you'd want to spend your millions living as good a life as you can while you're young.

On the opposite end, I can totally see why older players like signing here. It's great for suburb living. Good schools, low crime, city is clean. Priorities are different at that age.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That's it. It's not a real slight on Ottawa but imagine if you were 24-28 years old, making millions and you were skilled enought to have the freedom to work wherever you want in North America...would you choose Ottawa?

Maybe. Most likely not though because you'd want to spend your millions living as good a life as you can while you're young.

On the opposite end, I can totally see why older players like signing here. It's great for suburb living. Good schools, low crime, city is clean. Priorities are different at that age.

I dunno, ask Bobby Ryan :P

There is no universal rule, while i see your point and agree with it, there are always exceptions.

Its not really a shock to anyone that Ottawa is up near the top of that list. Part of the reason why i think its crucial to keep players that really want to be here and create the kind of atmosphere that shows newcomers that it is a quality place to live.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As someone who has travelled around the world from the day I was born due to my father's job

Ottawa is wholly unexciting and unimpressive

It's a fine place to live for sure, but NHL players can do better

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
You should link the original ESPN article, to not support the gawker one.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Even if the team wins and is at the top of the division, Ottawa (and most Canadian cities) will never be at the top of the player request list.

We have high taxes, yucky winters (apart from Vancouver), and all the pressure that comes with playing in a Canadian market (including the lousy media).

Ottawa will never be a free agent destination. It never has been.

Hasek, Gonchar and Kovalev disagree with you.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hasek wanted to win, we were a powerhouse and nobody else wanted him

We gave Gonchar the extra year no one wanted to give him

No one really wanted Kovalev after the gong show in Montreal

Gonchar is the only one we can point to as being a success

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
We do a pretty good job of retaining talent. As long as we can draft well and trade well this really isn't a big deal. Top free agents usually end up under performing anyway, low key signings like Clarke MacArthur is the best way to use free agency.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hasek wanted to win, we were a powerhouse and nobody else wanted him

We gave Gonchar the extra year no one wanted to give him

No one really wanted Kovalev after the gong show in Montreal

Gonchar is the only one we can point to as being a success

Thats not true, Kovalev was coming off an 80 some point season in Montreal. Or maybe it was the year before. Either way, he was still one of the better free agents out there.

Gonchar went to the team that offered more money. Like the vast majority of free agents have always done. Even if that team is Ottawa or Toronto.

Hasek signed with the Senators because they were winning. Best goalie of all time signed with the small amrket Senators, and then the Red Wings the year after he was done in Ottawa, which on the verge of winning a championship. Plenty of teams were interested in him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Kovalev was also told to stay at home during a roadtrip

The guy was a basket case, no one wanted him and he was lucky as hell we were desperate

Hasek hitched his wagon to powerhouse teams

Last edited by a moderator:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Thats not true, Kovalev was coming off an 80 some point season in Montreal. Or maybe it was the year before. Either way, he was still one of the better free agents out there.

Gonchar went to the team that offered more money. Like the vast majority of free agents have always done. Even if that team is Ottawa or Toronto.

Hasek signed with the Senators because they were winning. Best goalie of all time signed with the small amrket Senators, and then the Red Wings the year after he was done in Ottawa, which on the verge of winning a championship. Plenty of teams were interested in him.

That was the season before for Kovalev. The Kovalev we signed was the one that was told to stay home because he had become a distraction in the locker room and stopped caring about his own play on the ice.

Using Gonchar, Hasek and Kovalev to say Ottawa is a free agent destination is laughable. All 3 were on the tale ends of their career.

Might as well argue that David Legwand proves that Ottawa is desirable.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You had to add that on? You realized it was a dumb comment to make so you put vice-versa and then still decided to post?

Sue me

That was the season before for Kovalev. The Kovalev we signed was the one that was told to stay home because he had become a distraction in the locker room and stopped caring about his own play on the ice.

Using Gonchar, Hasek and Kovalev to say Ottawa is a free agent destination is laughable. All 3 were on the tale ends of their career.

I think there is a case to be made for Gonchar but it's usually overstated by our fanbase

We got a player that a lot of teams were after so there is that; we just had to take a considerable risk no one else wanted to take to make it happen

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

But still impact players, at least was the belief when they were signed in Kovalev's case. One year removed from a point per game season. that's not a small free agent fish. Disregarding the fact that they came to Ottawa when discussing the desirability of the city is what's laughable.

My point has always been that if the Sens aren't doing terribly and throw more money at free agents than other teams they'll be able to bring some into town.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
IMO it's probably the owner is crazy and he has a budget.

He's more concerned with dollars and cents than putting a top team on the ice. the last 2 years we've heard "were keeping our cap space to snag players from teams in cap trouble.

has not even been rumored once.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
49% income tax and 13% HST says it all.

Not quite.

Montreal is worse but they aren't near the top.

A lot of factors go into it.

Winning teams is the biggest factor IMO. I doubt a team that is always top 5 in the NHL is going to be on many players lists.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Not quite.

Montreal is worse but they aren't near the top.

A lot of factors go into it.

Winning teams is the biggest factor IMO. I doubt a team that is always top 5 in the NHL is going to be on many players lists.

What was the last major free agent Montreal snagged who was still in their prime?

It wasn't that long ago that players were refusing to go there like Daniel Briere in his prime.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Montreal is just as likely to be on a no-trade list as we are or Toronto

Thing is, both us and Toronto suck while Montreal is doing very well for themselves

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

And yet Laroque was devoted to Edmonton and didn't want to leave. in fact said at one time that if he was traded he wouldn't play. Go figure.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Even if the team wins and is at the top of the division, Ottawa (and most Canadian cities) will never be at the top of the player request list.

We have high taxes, yucky winters (apart from Vancouver), and all the pressure that comes with playing in a Canadian market (including the lousy media).

Ottawa will never be a free agent destination. It never has been.

this idea of high taxes is totally wrong.
http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/
edmonton/calgary less than LA/sharks/ducks
and the differential in almost all locations is not that big

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
dam dam dam you made me post... i resolve for lent to never post to this site again during lent

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
What was the last major free agent Montreal snagged who was still in their prime?

It wasn't that long ago that players were refusing to go there like Daniel Briere in his prime.

french market is different than any other, they pride themselves on keeping their culture and that happens to include extremely passionate opinionated people.

In Toronto the fans complain and media but in montreal they'll walk right to players on the street and tell them whats on their mind good or bad. it's a different market than anywhere else and the pressure for french players are rpobably even more there nowadays.

like they called the police on Chara, there's a lot of pressure in that market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad