NHL winners and Losers Trade Deadline Deals.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Is one of those two top 6 wingers the guy that cracked 40 points for the first time at the ripe young age of 28 while playing with an Art Ross/Hart winning center?

He was a 35 to 40 point player in Anaheim while having strong possession numbers. That's good enough to be a 2nd liner.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He was a 35 to 40 point player in Anaheim while having strong possession numbers. That's good enough to be a 2nd liner.

Never doing better than 34 points, which was also the only time he broke 30, is now a "35 to 40 point player"?

'Sides which, I wouldn't call a guy who maxes out at ~40 points while playing with a top 5 center in the League to be a top 6 guy, but to each her own.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordNeverLose

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think a bunch of teams really made their teams better.

Pittsburgh adding Brassard is obvious. Would have liked a D, but I'm ok with losing a D for Brassard. Not hard to justify that. We needed a 3C and got a tremendous fit. Jooris can (hopefully) push Rowney out of the lineup. Also nice to have a backup C option, albeit not a great one.

Columbus got Vanek, Cole and Letestu. Letestu wore an A and was good last time he was there. He'll be expected to take over 4C, at which he will be more than competent. Vanek for Motte and Jokinen is a no-brainer only positive trade. Cole is a really solid player and we'll bring intensity and experience for a young team. I think this will help turn them around.

Winnipeg adding Stastny makes them a dynamic, three-line offense. They'll score lots.

Tampa getting McDonagh and Miller is pretty obvious. That defense is ridiculous.

Nash will be an excellent fit for Boston. Curious about trading a guy with similar production for him, however.

NJD getting Maroon gives them size and toughness, Grabner gives them more speed, and they can both score. Nice additions. They look like an underrated pick going into the playoffs.

Vegas improved by getting Tatar and Reaves.

The playoffs will be fun!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Rangers did really well to get even that much for Rick Nash but they got absolutely schooled on that Tampa -deal. That's a solid price for Ryan McDonagh. Essentially gave away JT Miller for nothing there.

Reactions: tictactoe

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Rangers did really well to get even that much for Rick Nash but they got absolutely schooled on that Tampa -deal. That's a solid price for Ryan McDonagh. Essentially gave away JT Miller for nothing there.

EXACTLY, How on Earth is this not being talked about more?

The Lightning crushed that trade, I thought that would be close to the package McDonagh would get on his own - then they put Miller in it and it became an over payment by the Rangers...Rangers better hope Tampa wins the damn Cup to get that 2nd first, and even that will be a late pick.

The Rangers killed that Nash deal, but I have no idea why they put J.T. Miller in that deal...that might haunt them for years.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
With the trade deadline come and gone. Who are this year's trade deadline winners and losers?

Thought that Montreal would do more on the rebuild front. Moving Plek was OK but that seems underwhelming overall for a team that desperately needs to rebuild.

kesboss

Angels from Anaheim
Dec 4, 2017
Ducks big time losers and pulled off some really dumb moves today and yesterday.
I disagree us being losers. We didn't lose any assets which is good. It would have been far worse, if we would have traded for "impact player", because we would still have been stomped by stronger teams (Preds&Jets) in a 7 game series.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Never doing better than 34 points, which was also the only time he broke 30, is now a "35 to 40 point player"?

'Sides which, I wouldn't call a guy who maxes out at ~40 points to be a top 6 guy, but to each her own.

He was exactly a 36 point per 82 game player from 13-14 through 15-16.

Last year among forwards who played at least 30 games, the 180th ranked forward in points per game was Connor Brown with 0.44 points per game. That comes out to a 36 point pace over 82 games. Also, only 160 forwards played at a 41 point pace last season.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He was exactly a 36 point per 82 game player from 13-14 through 15-16.

Yet only broke 30 points in those years once because....?

Last year among forwards who played at least 30 games, the 180th ranked forward in points per game was Connor Brown with 0.44 points per game. That comes out to a 36 point pace over 82 games. Also, only 160 forwards played at a 41 point pace last season.

So if we take top 6 to be a literal qualifier ("one of the top 180 players in the League"), Patrick Maroon gets in barely.

That's your argument?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Montreal messed up pretty bad . Max PAC is going to be a pure rental now and not return much next year .
1. In what world is one whole season (given he is dealt at the draft) a pure rental for Pacio?

2. By "not going to return much next year", you mean like what 33 year old Rick Nash got the Rags this year? I'd be down for that type of return. Since he'll be dealt at the draft, he'll return even more than what Nash brought in...

Major trades like that (non-UFA players) rarely happen at the deadline so I'm not at all surprised.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Tampa is a big winner and has jumped to the front of the queue as the favorite.

The rangers made out like bandits. They got some good returns and the rebuild is on its way.

The sens are big losers. If they move EK in the off season, they'll win like 9 games next season.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You have to explain the Senators one to me. They held onto players they didn't have to move because the return wasn't there, moving players you didn't have to for an underwhelming return would have made them losers. Seems like they did the opposite. Today was a good day for Dorion, imo.

The next 20 games for EK is going to be massively weird

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Yet only broke 30 points in those years once because....?

Look I understand the whole flaw with the pace argument. However, he did miss a total of 41 team games in those 3 years. He produced 29, 34, and 27 points in those 3 years. So your "he only hit 30 points once" argument is a bit ticky tacky.

So if we take top 6 to be a literal qualifier ("one of the top 180 players in the League"), Patrick Maroon gets in barely.

That's your argument?

It's not just his points. It's the fact his possession numbers are also excellent on top of his production. Also, the fact he played with McDavid is proof he's a top 6 capable forward. You have to be GOOD ENOUGH to play with an elite forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad