NHL NHL will resume play on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
there are absolutely cases of injustice (Taylor), but Blake is not one of them. The rush to judgement saddens me.

Blake resisted arrest, was tazed, and continued to walk towards his car
He is seen reaching for the floorboard, where he admits there was a knife. Said knife was recovered from the floorboard according to the DOJ

He was being questioned because the 911 call was from a woman stating her boyfriend was at her residence and wasnt supposed to be there, stemming from a July 6 charge of sexual assault, trespassing and disorderly conduct related to domestic abuse. The breaking up a fight narrative is from his lawyers.

Investigators Say Jacob Blake Had A Knife In His Car, Officer Who Shot Him Identified

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Those protests lead to those responsible for the officers who murdered George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks to be arrested and charged. It brought to light what happened to Breonna Taylor. It has ended the use of chokeholds in states and here in MA, it has led to requiring the police to be certified and also led to a bipartisan discussion on criminal justice reform.

Protesting and boycotting works.

With respect to your first point, I believe that the culpable officers would have been arrested and charged, anyway. As for your second point, that's not always true.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
there are absolutely cases of injustice (Taylor), but Blake is not one of them. The rush to judgement saddens me.

He is seen reaching for the floorboard, where he admits there was a knife. Said knife was recovered from the floorboard according to the DOJ

He was being questioned because the 911 call was from a woman stating her boyfriend was at her residence and wasnt supposed to be there, stemming from a July 6 charge of sexual assault, trespassing and disorderly conduct related to domestic abuse. The breaking up a fight narrative is from his lawyers.

Investigators Say Jacob Blake Had A Knife In His Car, Officer Who Shot Him Identified

This is a danger with these situations, in which the individual is made into a martyr when, in fact, the details of the case would show criminal intent/action on the part of the individual. (Not excusing the excessive use of police force, of course.)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It also led to rioting.

Its also led to the absurd idea of defunding police.

And with video and news coverage of those deaths, I think those officers would have been charged anyway.

I really do not think that cancelling NHL games would help the situation at all.

I like what they have done in European soccer. Every player on every team takes a knee before every game in support of anti-racism.
So the rioting was not done by the protesters. They riots have been provoked by groups whose sole goal is to continue to divide and continue to push the narrative that the protesters are violent. I can’t get into it further without getting political.

Defunding is a term used to shock. Defunding the police simply means reallocating the excessive funds some departments receive and re-investing it back into the marginalized communities and in efforts to eradicate systemic racist tactics such as redlining. It also means re-organizing and re-imagining the police force.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Having a knife in the car is not the same as having it on his person.

No one deserves to have an officer hold on to their shirt and fire 7 bullets into their back at point blank range.

There is a reason why we have due process in this country and use of lethal, unnecessary force is a violation of one’s right to due process.

This is why players are protesting.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t know who needs to hear this but resisting arrest isn’t a death sentence and if you think it does warrant a police shooting then you’re anti-Constitution and anti-American

They don’t wear body cams (which is dumb in itself) so now what we have is their word vs independent witnesses. I certainly trust the independent witnesses a lot more, especially after the police report that came out when those New York cops brained that senior citizen. The old guy fell, remember??!!!

They could have handled Jacob Blake about a thousand different ways, instead they opted to shoot him in the back in front of his kids. Good stuff. Defend away if you must but that’s inexcusable to me

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Even with all this, 7 shots to the guy? It's such overkill.....now you have 3 children who are also absolutely traumatized and will probably go through this same cycle. Police are meant to protect, not murder. Even if the guy broke the law, we have the court system for a reason, no one deserves to have their entire life ruined because some guy lacked the training to deescalate or the restraint to fire one shot into his leg rather than 7 into his back.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Even with all this, 7 shots to the guy? It's such overkill.....now you have 3 children who are also absolutely traumatized and will probably go through this same cycle. Police are meant to protect, not murder. Even if the guy broke the law, we have the court system for a reason, no one deserves to have their entire life ruined because some guy lacked the training to deescalate or the restraint to fire one shot into his leg rather than 7 into his back.

The Police aren't trained to wound someone with a shot in the leg. They did try the taser first, it obviously didn't work.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Police aren't trained to wound someone with a shot in the leg. They did try the taser first, it obviously didn't work.
The guy is perfectly fine at aiming and firing, even if he wasn't trained for it specifically, I don't believe that he wouldn't be able to do it. Would probably be an entirely different story if he did this.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
People realize they could have just let Blake drive off and arrest him at his house right? You know- like they did with the murderer....

I expect them to continue the season but I’m not gonna sit here and be outraged if they don’t

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Those protests lead to those responsible for the officers who murdered George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks to be arrested and charged. It brought to light what happened to Breonna Taylor. It has ended the use of chokeholds in states and here in MA, it has led to requiring the police to be certified and also led to a bipartisan discussion on criminal justice reform.

Protesting and boycotting works.
32 people have been killed in these riots,oh sorry protests ,including numerous blacks ,including a little 5 year old black girl,not to mention all the businesses destroyed,many owned by blacks ,apartment building were set on fire with people in them ,for Christ sakes ,Your one sick person if you think this is ok.

Reactions: Disturbed1

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
People realize they could have just let Blake drive off and arrest him at his house right? You know- like they did with the murderer....
Exactly. There are so many ways that they could have handled it that would have been 30 times more humane and just as effective.

Reactions: Alicat and CDJ

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Don’t know who needs to hear this but resisting arrest isn’t a death sentence and if you think it does warrant a police shooting then you’re anti-Constitution and anti-American

They don’t wear body cams (which is dumb in itself) so now what we have is their word vs independent witnesses. I certainly trust the independent witnesses a lot more, especially after the police report that came out when those New York cops brained that senior citizen. The old guy fell, remember??!!!

They could have handled Jacob Blake about a thousand different ways, instead they opted to shoot him in the back in front of his kids. Good stuff. Defend away if you must but that’s inexcusable to me

Does resisting arrest, ignoring officers, and going to your car where you said you have a knife make any difference? I am in 100% agreement the officer was totally in the wrong here, Blake should have been wrestled to the ground and been cuffed (of course that prob would have been an issue too).

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I expect them to continue the season but I’m not gonna sit here and be outraged if they don’t

This part I disagree with. Somewhat.

I don't know why the cops were there to begin with, or whether or not Blake had a weapon on him or made any remarks about weapons. If the police had reason to believe he was dangerous, then I wouldn't expect them to allow him to drive off. No way.

Similar with the shots to the back. Once you've committed to firing your weapon it's not to incapacitate, it's for deadly force. The tasers and take down techniques are for incapacitating.

All that being said, are the police justified in using deadly force? It certainly seems unlikely IMO. I don't know the whole story and I wasn't there. It really looks like overkill though.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Exactly. There are so many ways that they could have handled it that would have been 30 times more humane and just as effective.

Sgt. Michael Chesna hesitated, worried about using deadly force on a suspect holding a rock. Sgt. Michael Chesna was hit by the rock as he was raising his weapon. Sgt. Michael Chesna was then shot in the head and torso multiple times with his own weapon. Sgt. Michael Chesna served his country and community. Sgt. Michael Chesna left a wife and 2 small children behind.

Not everything is so easy as "they could have handled it" differently. Just ask Sgt. Michael Chesna.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Understood, I'm just telling you that's not how they are trained..

It really is something that should be written into reform or something. You have his info, get him later, would protect everyone involved.

Reactions: Ladyfan and CDJ

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sgt. Michael Chesna hesitated, worried about using deadly force on a suspect holding a rock. Sgt. Michael Chsna was hit by the rock as he was raising his weapon. Sgt. Michael Chesna was then shot in the head and torso multiple times with his own weapon. Sgt. Michael Chesna served his country and community. Sgt. Michael Chesna left a wife and 2 small children behind.

Not everything is so easy as "they could have handled it" differently. Just ask Sgt. Michael Chesna.

But we have so many people here who would be Joe Cool in these situations...It's so easy.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Does resisting arrest, ignoring officers, and going to your car where you said you have a knife make any difference? I am in 100% agreement the officer was totally in the wrong here, Blake should have been wrestled to the ground and been cuffed (of course that prob would have been an issue too).
The issue is that we do not know if he was even under arrest because there were no body cameras and the cops refused to release why they were attempting to detain him.

If he wasn’t under arrest then he has every right to walk away. Just because he had a knife, which was not on his person, doesn’t mean he was going to use it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Anyway, I respected the NBA decision to suspend play, and was hoping they'd hold the line for at least a little while. A couple nights though? Useless.

The NHL certainly won't be changing their mind at this point.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Sgt. Michael Chesna hesitated, worried about using deadly force on a suspect holding a rock. Sgt. Michael Chesna was hit by the rock as he was raising his weapon. Sgt. Michael Chesna was then shot in the head and torso multiple times with his own weapon. Sgt. Michael Chesna served his country and community. Sgt. Michael Chesna left a wife and 2 small children behind.

All you are telling me is that police are so poorly trained that they are either firing at people and killing them or are hesitating in high pressure situations because they don't know what to do.

I know it's not easy to do their job, but there's a reason I'm not a cop - I would not do well in these situations. But that's the point on talking about change. Clearly there is an inherent issue in the hiring process or the training if they are hesitating or constantly making the wrong call. There are plenty other countries that require 3 to 4 years of education to become police and generally have way less police violence, how hard is it to go this direction?

Reactions: NoregreB

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The issue is that we do not know if he was even under arrest because there were no body cameras and the cops refused to release why they were attempting to detain him.

If he wasn’t under arrest then he has every right to walk away. Just because he had a knife, which was not on his person, doesn’t mean he was going to use it.

You can detain someone without arresting someone. Right or wrong when the police tell you to stay put, you stay put.. Hopefully we get to hear Mr. Blake's side of things

https://www.hennepinpublicdefender....fender/you-have-rights/you-have-rights_V4.pdf

An officer may legally detain you (keep you from leaving) for investigation to gather more information. In order to keep you from leaving, the officer must be able to state a reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad