NHL NHL will resume play on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
After several cups of coffee and watching the Canadian media this morning, I am going to allow a thread on this situation.

It will be closely moderated and I ask all of you to think twice before hitting the reply button. Do not attack other posters.

118333332_10221890863073434_3925098356476996987_n.jpg
    • Clear last edit information
      If selected, any existing "last edited" note will be removed.
The NHL is taking a major PR hit in both the US and Canada for playing last night.

The NHL thought this statement read in both Toronto and Edmonton would be enough.

“Racism has been embedded in our society for far too long. Today and every day, the NHL and the hockey community are committed in the mission to combat racial injustice and achieve a fair society for all. The NHL would like to take this moment to wish Jacob Blake and his family well and call out to our fans and communities to stand up for social justice and the effort to end racism.”

Back in 1963, NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle ordered the NFL to play 2 days after the assassination of President Kennedy and admitted it was the worst mistake of his career.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/20/black-sunday-nfl-plays-after-jfks-assassination

To be fair MLB played last night as well with the exception of the Brewers, Padres, and Giants.

Please keep the dialog civil and keep politics out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Static and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The league deserves the criticism they’re receiving. As Burnside said in his tweet, their response was tepid at best.

As a fan, I was and still am upset that once again, the NHL whiffed on an opportunity to truly show hockey is for everyone.

It is one thing to denounce racism and police brutality but it is another thing to actually do something about it other than make statements or donate money.

Their silence is deafening.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I'm not convinced that it would have anything more than a symbolic effect. I mean, how is the institutional change that has been demanded by some going to be made by having millionaire athletes walk away from the rink/field/court?

What about other major societal issues? Should professional sports leagues suspend play in support of them too? Where is the line drawn?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The league deserves the criticism they’re receiving. As Burnside said in his tweet, their response was tepid at best.

As a fan, I was and still am upset that once again, the NHL whiffed on an opportunity to truly show hockey is for everyone.

It is one thing to denounce racism and police brutality but it is another thing to actually do something about it other than make statements or donate money.

Their silence is deafening.
100%

Time is long past to move on from words and half hearted PR campaigns.

I'm not convinced that it would have anything more than a symbolic effect. I mean, how is the institutional change that has been demanded by some going to be made by having millionaire athletes walk away from the rink/field/court?

What about other major societal issues? Should professional sports leagues suspend play in support of them too? Where is the line drawn?
To answer your questions
1. People in positions of power use that power as they can to push for change. Shutting down entertainment and distractions to focus on real issues can certainly help.

2. Other major societal issues can be addressed as people choose to address them - has nothing to do with this decision at this moment.

3. It’s drawn by the people with the power to draw it. Where it’s drawn today can be erased and redrawn tomorrow. There’s no “slippery slope” just people making decisions about what is right.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If the NBA players voted to resume already then what is the point?

Was about to post this same sentiment. The NBA players took their stand and protested and will now resume playing. The NHL didn't do anything, were criticized over not doing anything, and now want to protest well after the fact? It comes off as disingenuous to do so now. The moment has passed, so just accept the criticism and move on.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

With the NHL there has always been a documented history of racism and the narrative that hockey is too expensive and that is why there is no diversity in the league.

In recent years the league and individual teams have been working to grow the games in what is considered non traditional places whether it me inner cities or a whole state.

The league has an opportunity to show the black and brown kids across the US and Canada (and the world) that hockey is inclusive and that everyone can play no matter their financial situation.

As for other societal issues, there is none bigger than ending systemic racism which spills out into all aspects of life in all shapes and forms.

The NHL needs to start listening to Evandro Kane, Matt Dumba, JTBrown, PK Subban and others.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I just don't know. I do know that we have to be open to any options -- I just wish I were smart enough to know the best track forward.

This country (USA) is in a shambles. I don't care if your politics are Red, Blue, Green, or something else. We should all agree on the fact that a lot needs to change in this country right now. All is not well.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
People have been protesting in the streets for 3 months now.

Has it had any effect other than to divide the country more?

If the NHL stops games it will get about 45 seconds of time on the national news.
Those protests lead to those responsible for the officers who murdered George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks to be arrested and charged. It brought to light what happened to Breonna Taylor. It has ended the use of chokeholds in states and here in MA, it has led to requiring the police to be certified and also led to a bipartisan discussion on criminal justice reform.

Protesting and boycotting works.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
One factor is the NHL has a set deadline on when the Toronto bubble closes ( unlike Edmonton ) - They HAVE to be out of Hotel X by September 4th.
So the ECF wont be at Hotel X Im assuming then? Sorry if you've already said this multiple times.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
These players have made incredible family sacrifices to play the playoffs in the bubble. Shutting down that effort for anything other than another 911, God forbid, WW III, or Yellowstone blowing up is not warranted.

If a player feels that they need to be in their community for whatever reason they should follow their convictions and do that.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So the ECF wont be at Hotel X Im assuming then? Sorry if you've already said this multiple times.

Not only won't it be held in Hotel X, it won't be held in Toronto. Hence the reason why they have to finish the Toronto games within the deadline.

Reactions: JCRO

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Those protests lead to those responsible for the officers who murdered George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks to be arrested and charged. It brought to light what happened to Breonna Taylor. It has ended the use of chokeholds in states and here in MA, it has led to requiring the police to be certified and also led to a bipartisan discussion on criminal justice reform.

Protesting and boycotting works.

It also led to rioting.

Its also led to the absurd idea of defunding police.

And with video and news coverage of those deaths, I think those officers would have been charged anyway.

I really do not think that cancelling NHL games would help the situation at all.

I like what they have done in European soccer. Every player on every team takes a knee before every game in support of anti-racism.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
These players have made incredible family sacrifices to play the playoffs in the bubble. Shutting down that effort for anything other than another 911, God forbid, WW III, or Yellowstone blowing up is not warranted.

If a player feels that they need to be in their community for whatever reason they should follow their convictions and do that.

Agree. If a player wants to protest they are free to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad