TSN: NHL watching Bruins on LTIR issues with Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That’s literally what Dreger commented about - fitting Hall in.
Thanks. I was replying to a post saying it wasn’t similar to the Kucherov situation.

How exactly does your comment here relate to Patdud and I’s conversation about whether or not the hall situation is similar to the Kucherov situation?

Did you just see my comment and not scroll up to see the topic of discussion again?

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Why wasn’t this something addressed during an offseason is my question…

It’s happened multiple years, with tons of different people raising the issue, only to hear crickets. Then all of the all sudden the league decides it’s this year around game 60 where they’re going to get serious…
Guess the NHL didn’t care when Tampa did it.

This league blows. It’s like they do whatever the opposite of what they should do.

Maybe Fanatics jerseys will help sell the game more!
The league said "they are keeping a close eye on the situation" when Tampa did it. Standard response.

As long as the Doctor says a player is unable to play there's nothing the league can do. Unless of course Hall goes and gets a second opinion that says he can.

All the League can do is ask for Hall's medical reports and have a doctor review them. They can't force him to get a second opinion.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So Hall makes more than Forbort, so putting Forbort on LTIR is it enough salary to bring Hall back in? What the math?
I don't think Forbort would be enough. With the roster the way it is constructed now, they've used $4 million in LTIR. Just over $1 million of that was used when McAvoy was on LTIR so they are right around $3 million. It's very close.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The league said "they are keeping a close eye on the situation" when Tampa did it. Standard response.

As long as the Doctor says a player is unable to play there's nothing the league can do. Unless of course Hall goes and gets a second opinion that says he can.

All the League can do is ask for Hall's medical reports and have a doctor review them. They can't force him to get a second opinion.

Are they even entitled to them due to HIPPA (spelling?) or does that not apply because it’s a dual national league? Or is it they can ask but they technically can’t see them and that’s why you said a doctor reviews it?

Either way, not exactly a situation that’s difficult to weasel your way through

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

Jakub Lauko, who sustained an upper-body injury Sunday, did not practice. “It’s day to day,” Montgomery said. “It’s nothing a 23-year-old won’t get over in due time.” Lauko turned 23 Tuesday … Nick Foligno (knee) participated in practice for the first time since his Feb. 28 collision with Nikita Zadorov in Calgary. Taylor Hall (knee) was also present. Neither is expected to play before the postseason. Montgomery said a report from TSN that Hall is ready but being held out for salary cap reasons was “false” …

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Ya but that’s no one cares about who is activated and who isn’t during the rest of the regular season. It’s about how they are going to have all these healthy players available with the extra cap come playoff time. Kucherov and hall healthy/skating is just salt on the already exposed wound.

Again it’s not illegal. Fully within the rules, teams are just getting mad that it’s being manipulated within the rules.
We’ll if hall is activated and foligno or forbort are on ltir but aren’t available for game 1 or aren’t full participants in practice for months before they play then no it’s not manipulation to the extant the lightning pulled, not by a long shot

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Thanks. I was replying to a post saying it wasn’t similar to the Kucherov situation.

How exactly does your comment here relate to Patdud and I’s conversation about whether or not the hall situation is similar to the Kucherov situation?

Did you just see my comment and not scroll up to see the topic of discussion again?
“Ya but that’s no one cares about who is activated and who isn’t during the rest of the regular season.”

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I don't think Forbort would be enough. With the roster the way it is constructed now, they've used $4 million in LTIR. Just over $1 million of that was used when McAvoy was on LTIR so they are right around $3 million. It's very close.
Injury to lauko means they can’t demote him, wonder if ltir to forbort and that would be enough? Are they worried Greer would be claimed? Frankly he’s the 15th forward at this point on a healthy roster.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I believe people in the past in here when Tampa did it called them cheaters.

Still abiding by the rules either way
I’ll make jokes about that every chance I get, and should we be lucky enough to witness the bruins win the ultimate prize I’ll accept that everyone will make similar jokes at my expense

And I won't care. Just as Lightning fans didn't, and still don't care.

Hypocrisy at it's best, and I'm cool with it

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I don’t know how accurate PuckPedia is, but it seems to think there is $66,000 in room if Forbert is placed on LTIR.

Reading that, it says Foligno. Not Forbort.

I could be missing something or misreading. But if I’m not, there’s a $800k AAV difference between Forbort and Foligno which would knock us back into non-compliance

My question: Is Steen and Lauko being sent down part of this math?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Look at the roster size.
All they have is current roster/cap. And frankly, I can’t make sense of it.

Here’s how I read it. Keeping in mind that I’m an idiot and that I’m also rounding off not because I’m unconcerned with accuracy… but because round numbers make it easier for my sponge toffee brain to comprehend.

It says there’s $2.6M in current cap room.
Hall’ s AAV is $6M.
$6M - $2.6M is $3.4M. More than Forbort’s AAV (so Forbort alone wouldn’t get it done) but less than Foligno’s $3.8M.

But you also have Steen and Lauko in Boston with an AAV combined of roughly $1.5M. Theoretically, bringing back a forward would send a forward down. And at that point we’re in that range where that move alone would make the team compliant. Eg. Current space: $2.6M + Steen $750k + Forbort LTIR $3M = $6.35M. Which is enough to activate Hall.

I understand that the numbers aren’t as clean as I’ve laid out. But it would certainly imply to me that LTIR for Forbort COULD be all that is required for Hall’s return. And since Foligno is only on IR, he’d be free to return as well.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
to me the bigger issue here, and the thing that's really irresponsible about Dreger's comments are that we know Hall has a knee injury that was potentially season ending. I'm guessing he needs surgery in the offseason to actually fix the injury. So when he comes back he may be "medically cleared" in the sense that he's past the point of no return regarding surgery, but that doesn't mean he's 100% or absolutely must play per the CBA. Who the f*** is Darren Dreger to indirectly pressure a guy like Hall to come back early from an injury and play through pain in meaningless games.

Cap issues aside (they can fit him if necessary), I just think it's really shitty for Toronto media to be starting this shit up already when we're talking about a guy who is going to be playing through an injury anyway.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Guess the Canadian media haters of everything Boston Bruins didn’t care when Tampa did it.

This league blows. It’s like they do whatever the opposite of what they should do.

Maybe Fanatics jerseys will help sell the game more!
Fixed because this is the truth - the Bruins can't do anything without it blowing up in Canada. They loathe the Bruins. My hate for the Leafs is mainly because of the crap the media does concerning Boston.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If the NHL really wanted to do something about this, they could have and would have. They could do something as simple as not allowing teams to break the hard cap using LTIR unless it is spent on a player already under contract at the time of injury. Teams would then have to go into any trade situation being able to fit an acquired player without LTIR. But they haven't, and until they do, then the rules are the rules. You can't blame teams for using the rules to their best advantage. To not do so would be negligent management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad