NHL Vegas and AHL Chicago dissolving affiliation; VGK buys AHL San Antonio (upd BOG approved)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can anyone explain to me why AHL teams all have to be affiliated?

And it can’t be just because.

That's where the NHL team place their players to develop, get playing time, or rehab from injuries. And its always been as far as i can remember 1 AHL team for everyone 1 NHL team. Unless NHL expands beyond 32, AHL isn't going to 33 teams. If like I said Chicago wolves owner wasn't insisting on being a win only team and actually help develop its NHL affiliated team players, this move would never had happen.

Simply because the NHL doesn't want QUEBEC CITY. But they would welcome with open arms another Texas team.
HOUSTON or even maybe AUSTIN.

And that would require forcing a non eastern time zone team to play in a eastern time zone division. What makes you think the NHL wants to do that? The reason why quebec didn't get expansion was there was no room. A relocation of a eastern conference team changes the equation.

Last edited:

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
And that would require forcing a non eastern time zone team to play in a eastern time zone division. What makes you think the NHL wants to do that? The reason why quebec didn't get expansion was there was no room. A relocation of a eastern conference team changes the equation.

Quebec did not get a team because the nhl didn't want them first...
and that you could not send and an eastern team to the west.
But now you are sending a wastern team (nashville) to the east.

N.H.L. SEASON 2021-22
(ottawa senators moving to houston)

EASTERN CONFERENCE

-Montreal, Buffalo, Toronto, Boston

-Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Wash

-NYR, NYI, New Jersey, Philadelphia

-Nashville, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

WESTERN CONFERENCE

-Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle

-San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Vegas

-Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St.Louis

-Dallas, Colorado, Arizona, Houston

6 games vs own division x 3 = 18
4 games vs own conference x 4 = 16
2 games vs other conference x 24 = 48
= 82 GAMES

Last edited:
Reactions: BJNT and Morrison

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They won't expand.
But probably relocate a lame duck.
My bet is on the Ottawa Senators.

Considering the lengths the NHL has gone to have even conferences, that’s incredibly unlikely. Also, Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk isn’t selling and certainly isn’t moving to Houston. Fertitta already knocked on both those doors.

And lame duck? They’re less than 10 years removed from being a Top 5 team in attendance. And that was with their owner being a known clown/prick.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Can anyone explain to me why AHL teams all have to be affiliated?

And it can’t be just because.

The NHL wants the AHL to have a 1-1 affiliation. NHL is majority owner of the AHL and they get what they want. That’s reason enough.

If that’s not reason enough, no NHL teams are willing to share their AHL teams anymore. With such an emphasis on prospect development, no NHL team will let another NHL team butt in and decrease their prospect’s development just to allow an independent AHL team or two.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why move ottawa out west when they can keep them in the same division and put them in quebec and not mess with alignment.

But seriously though as it related to the topic. Vegas had no choice and that's unfortunately and something that's beyond any one of our control. If Chicago wolves' owner was being reasonable and actually was developing vegas' players instead of being in a must win games idea. This move would never had been necessary.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Completely untrue and the other way around. Foley wanted an AHL team near Vegas for a couple of years now.

Reactions: Morrison

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Vegas must have given the Spurs an offer they couldn't refuse. We're they even looking to sell?

They've owned the team for nearly 15 years and playing in the same building that they operate with the NBA club, I doubt the team was bleeding money that was unsustainable. Wasn't a traditional independent team IMO.

As Ted DiBiase said may years ago. Everybody has a price. Spurs S&E had theirs met.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The NHL wants the AHL to have a 1-1 affiliation. NHL is majority owner of the AHL and they get what they want. That’s reason enough.

If that’s not reason enough, no NHL teams are willing to share their AHL teams anymore. With such an emphasis on prospect development, no NHL team will let another NHL team butt in and decrease their prospect’s development just to allow an independent AHL team or two.

There is no single ownership of the league. There are 32 franchises. Now the majority of owners are the NHL teams/entities.

WRT sharing, VGK did share affiliation their first year as they did not have the (prospect, journeyman) depth to really fill an AHL roster. (But Seattle is going full out with AHL team their first year; I'd expect 75% to be UFAs and at least half to be on AHL deals.)

The ECHL has been trying to push for a 1:1:1 (NHL->AHL->ECHL) scheme, but there hasn't been a lot of support. Some teams do have an ECHL affiliation. Others have no affiliation and "farm out" (pun intended) their depth/prospect guys to different organizations.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The divorce between the Blues and Wolves was a bit messy last time. Are they suddenly going to pair off again? If not, what other options does St Louis legitimately have? Loan out players next year? What would become of an unaffiliated Wolves team? Is there any pressure on Wolves ownership to play nice?

I’d like to see St Louis own it’s own franchise. I’d like to see hockey not leave southern Texas.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The divorce between the Blues and Wolves was a bit messy last time. Are they suddenly going to pair off again? If not, what other options does St Louis legitimately have? Loan out players next year? What would become of an unaffiliated Wolves team? Is there any pressure on Wolves ownership to play nice?

I’d like to see St Louis own it’s own franchise. I’d like to see hockey not leave southern Texas.

So who's gonna affiliate with Chicago then someone has to?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
So who's gonna affiliate with Chicago then someone has to?
Tampa (Syracuse), Florida(Springfield, MA), and Nashville (Milwaukee)? All affiliated and not owned. Chicago is geographically closer (I think it js for the FL teams), and Chicago is an airline hub so travel is much easier.

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Vegas must have given the Spurs an offer they couldn't refuse. We're they even looking to sell?

They've owned the team for nearly 15 years and playing in the same building that they operate with the NBA club, I doubt the team was bleeding money that was unsustainable. Wasn't a traditional independent team IMO.

As Ted DiBiase said may years ago. Everybody has a price. Spurs S&E had theirs met.
According to San Antonio mayor Ron Nirenberg "The purchase shows great value was added to the team during its time in San Antonio." They very well may have been given an offer they couldn't refuse.
San Antonio Rampage sold, will relocate this summer

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Apart from being upset that Sterling was scratched in the playoffs for Suzuki, I can't recall any issues the past 3 years. Vegas supplied most of the players, plus the coach.

The Wolves have seemed to embrace the new developmental rules because I never noticed Wolves ownership complaining. Fans were upset when Pirri was recalled, but that was about it.

Reactions: JMCx4

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
There is no single ownership of the league. There are 32 franchises. Now the majority of owners are the NHL teams/entities.

WRT sharing, VGK did share affiliation their first year as they did not have the (prospect, journeyman) depth to really fill an AHL roster. (But Seattle is going full out with AHL team their first year; I'd expect 75% to be UFAs and at least half to be on AHL deals.)

The ECHL has been trying to push for a 1:1:1 (NHL->AHL->ECHL) scheme, but there hasn't been a lot of support. Some teams do have an ECHL affiliation. Others have no affiliation and "farm out" (pun intended) their depth/prospect guys to different organizations.

The NHL BOG is predominantly the AHL BOG. That's splitting hairs, it's essentially the same thing.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
According to San Antonio mayor Ron Nirenberg "The purchase shows great value was added to the team during its time in San Antonio." They very well may have been given an offer they couldn't refuse.
San Antonio Rampage sold, will relocate this summer
Well, that’s one way to spin it.

How exactly does it benefit San Antonio to have businesses move away? It’s a blow to the city, no two ways about it.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Apart from being upset that Sterling was scratched in the playoffs for Suzuki, I can't recall any issues the past 3 years. Vegas supplied most of the players, plus the coach.

The Wolves have seemed to embrace the new developmental rules because I never noticed Wolves ownership complaining. Fans were upset when Pirri was recalled, but that was about it.
There were some pretty unflattering public comments from Wolves ownership about the Blues front office, things that wouldn’t be said by someone with much professionalism. It seemed a lot like burning a bridge at the time. I think there would need to be some private apologies at least, if these two groups are going to work together again. I don’t think either party was happy with the arrangement last time...and now it seems they’re both likely to feel like they’re forced together again.

To make things worse, the Blues’ prospect pool is at an ebb right now, depleted by the run of success in the parent team. No real blue chip prospects to get excited about. I wouldn’t expect this team to be the nucleus for a very competitive AHL squad, in terms of challenging for the Calder Cup.

It seems like trying to get back with your ex and hoping for something better.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Golden Knights’ new AHL team could be called Silver Knights

VGK majority owner Foley confirms organization has trademarked "Silver Knights". But no confirmation on what the new AHL team will be called. Nor future AHL-centric arena (Orleans for next while).

Ticket deposits already being accepted.

I can imagine that attendance will be bolstered by fans from visiting teams, in a weekend league, due to team being in Las Vegas (valley).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tell that to San Jose who has both the NHL and the AHL in the same city or what about Chicago who has a AHL and a NHL in the same city as well.
Leafs and Marlies are both in Toronto (maybe a 5 to 10 minutes drive from each other). Laval is a MTL suburb. Belleville is in Ontario and about a 3-hour drive from Ottawa. There are a lot of benefits to having your AHL team in the same city or in close proximity. Austin is about the same distance from Dallas.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Leafs and Marlies are both in Toronto (maybe a 5 to 10 minutes drive from each other). Laval is a MTL suburb. Belleville is in Ontario and about a 3-hour drive from Ottawa and in Ontario. There are a lot of benefits to having your AHL team in the same city or in close proximity. Austin is about the same distance from Dallas.

Seattle went with Palm Springs since there is a direct flight from there and Everett's airport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad