NHL unveils reverse retro jerseys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yikes. Those look like they ripped off the butter knives Sabres jerseys.

u4fkr6ul5qo21.png

Wow it really does. Good catch.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
It's the Thunder jersey, but in Golden Knights colors. It's hardly a Sabres ripoff just because the body is red.
EReoBemUUAEuBKj.jpg

I'll be honest, I actually really like it. It's a really fun way for them to get in on the program with how limited their jersey history is.
Yeah, the striping is completely different and the front logo is their normal shoulder logo, and the red is their 4th color. Not copying at all. That jersey design is still awful and I would not want to replicate it.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Plus, they’re called the Golden Knights. Not the Red Knights. So simple.
Coloring jerseys based on name is silly; by that logic, should every Chicago jersey be black because they're the Blackhawks? There's still gold in the design, but two gold alts would be so incredibly redundant. At least with red, this jersey stands out amongst Vegas' kit.

Plus it's not like they have much in the way of places to pull from for retro Vegas jerseys; they have these, the Wranglers and that's...kinda it.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
It's the Thunder jersey, but in Golden Knights colors. It's hardly a Sabres ripoff just because the body is red.
EReoBemUUAEuBKj.jpg

I'll be honest, I actually really like it. It's a really fun way for them to get in on the program with how limited their jersey history is.

It's a Sabres ripoff in the worst way because the butter knives jerseys were/are butt-ulgy. They both have the swords at the center, the team logos on the shoulder, stripes/piping, and the eye-scorching bright red color.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Coloring jerseys based on name is silly; by that logic, should every Chicago jersey be black because they're the Blackhawks? There's still gold in the design, but two gold alts would be so incredibly redundant. At least with red, this jersey stands out amongst Vegas' kit.

Plus it's not like they have much in the way of places to pull from for retro Vegas jerseys; they have these, the Wranglers and that's...kinda it.

That comment was being more facetious than anything, so I definitely understand what you’re saying. But I still don’t like the decision. A team so new shouldn’t have more than one alternate in my opinion. And part of what makes the branding of the Knights’ jersey set is the gold. Having a bright red like this as a primary that just overshadows the gold makes no sense.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
It's a Sabres ripoff in the worst way because the butter knives jerseys were/are butt-ulgy. They both have the swords at the center, the team logos on the shoulder, stripes/piping, and the eye-scorching bright red color.
It’s not a ripoff at all. The striping is obviously different. Red is the 4th color of the Knights’ color scheme. And that logo has existed as a secondary logo on the Knights’ jersey since the jersey was designed.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They should've considered making them far less ugly than what's been released so far.

I'd love it if they just did something wacky with each jersey for the sake of being different. IMO, if it's for a jersey with very limited use, the uglier and more off the wall the better.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess some of this is controlled by who the opponent is in the games(s) in which they will be worn. The Pens will be playing the Flyers in these retro jerseys, so both teams obviously could not have black as their primary colors.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Since these new jerseys are in reverse, this jersey would be in red.

What about a white or red one of winter classic one?

I hope they don't do this because an all-red Rangers uniform would look strange. The main Lady Liberty jersey was navy blue, so they could get away with using white IMO. The jersey above was only used for one season while the blue one (which was the original design) was used for nine seasons.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
A team so new shouldn’t have more than one alternate in my opinion.
According to what people have heard, everyone's getting one of these color-swap alts, without exception. It wouldn't make sense to leave Vegas out of the fun just because they're newer than everyone else.
And part of what makes the branding of the Knights’ jersey set is the gold. Having a bright red like this as a primary that just overshadows the gold makes no sense.
Having two new gold alternates would be utterly redundant and end up cannibalizing jersey sales more than a gold and red alternate.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
According to what people have heard, everyone's getting one of these color-swap alts, without exception. It wouldn't make sense to leave Vegas out of the fun just because they're newer than everyone else.

Having two new gold alternates would be utterly redundant and end up cannibalizing jersey sales more than a gold and red alternate.
I just dislike making jerseys for the sake of making jerseys. They just got a 3rd. Sit on that for a while.

I don’t think the “4th jersey” has to be gold. But a white design with the secondary logo and gold striping would still qualify. Something like that would be better IMO. This isn’t a binary question of red or gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad