NHL unveils 20 greatest teams of all time

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
What a surprise.
2013 Hawks would have turned last year's Pens into children.

Prime Toews dominates Sidney while you were deploying Kruger/Frolik against Malkin along with a top four defense in their prime that could stop anybody.

The Pens stick out like a sore thumb on that list and Imo, the 13 Hawks deserve to be there instead. Just that much better. Not taking anything away from the Pens, they were a fun little team to watch, but still a notch (or two) below the first two Hawks championship teams.

They compare much, much closer to the 15 Hawks, which was the weakest of the Hawks champions

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I've already been over this:

I also go through all the stats that several cup winning teams were substantially better than the 2011 Canucks in. The Red Wings outclassed the 2011 Canucks in no fewer than EIGHT categories.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=132581357&postcount=123

....and oh dear sweet god you brought up face-off percentage as if it's a meaningful measure of team performance. :facepalm:

The 2008 Red Wings would toy with the 2011 Canucks like a pod of Orcas toying with a baby seal.

Though I agree the 2008 Red Wings do deserve to be on there before the 2010 Blackhawks. It's just that the 2013 Blackhawks should be on there as well as the 2008 Red Wings.
Already saw your advanced stats. Comparing teams from different seasons is futile and a waste of time. There's too many variables and far too many environmental differences to draw any sort of concrete conclusions. The game is ever-changing. The reason I even tried comparing the 2008 Red Wings to the 2011 Canucks was to show how each team fared in THEIR respected season compared to the other 29 teams they were competing against.

Again. Find me another team that led the league in as many of the major team statistics as the Canucks did in 2011 and then went on all the way to the Finals. Scoring the most goals, giving up the fewest goals, having the best power play, having the second best penalty kill, having the best goaltending tandem in the league, the top point scorer, the best two-way player.

The fact that you can even make the claim that the Red Wings of 2008 would toy with the Canucks of 2011 is laughable at best.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Prime Toews dominates Sidney while you were deploying Kruger/Frolik against Malkin along with a top four defense in their prime that could stop anybody.

The Pens stick out like a sore thumb on that list and Imo, the 13 Hawks deserve to be there instead. Just that much better. Not taking anything away from the Pens, they were a fun little team to watch, but still a notch (or two) below the first two Hawks championship teams.

They compare much, much closer to the 15 Hawks, which was the weakest of the Hawks champions

I think you're underrating the 16 Penguins here.

I think 2013 Blackhawks do come out on top eventually, for some of the matchup reasons you brought up (though I think it's a stretch to assume Toews would 'dominate' Crosby, even with Saad and Hossa flanking him... Crosby is still gonna do some damage)

...but mostly for the fact that they had a deeper, better defense corp in 2013 than Pittsburgh did in 2016, and 2013 Crawford was playing on par with 2016 Murray give-or-take.

Also, I think the 2013 Hawks team is the only team in recent memory that had the ability to play as blazing fast in all zones as the 2016 Penguins. Maybe not quite as fast, but close enough to mitigate the advantage.

But they certainly wouldn't 'turn them to children'. I'd say 6 or 7 close, amazing games.

Personally, I think you replace the 2010 Blackhawks (who I think the 2016 Pens beat in 6, because the 2010 team was NOT good defensively and had Niemi in net as 'please don't **** this up guy') with the 2013 Blackhawks, add the 2008 Red Wings and the cap era is properly supported on this list.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

LOL the pens would at the very least make that a seven game series. Murray vs Crawford? And LOL at Toews containing Crosby. Our speed would destroy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
yep

the cup winners can't literally play against each other, rosters change year to year

the only way to properly rank all time teams is based on what they did before and after their cup

how can you be an all time team when you weren't good enough to even get back to the finals?

calling the ducks or flames an all time team is the same as calling any musician that had one big hit an all time musician

1994 Rangers missed the playoffs the year before, hadn't made it to the ECF since 8, and lost in the second round the next two years.

1992 Penguins went on to lose in the second round 2 out of the next 3 seasons and lose in the first round the other year.

Fans voted, and those fans think Crosby is without a doubt the greatest of all time

This and anything before the 80's is irrelevant to a lot of "fans".

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The 76-77 Habs were the best of all time...how can anyone debate otherwise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad