NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Chicago making a run would be huge for ESPN and Turner. They have no other draws out west.

This is an important season for Winnipeg. Curious to see if they bounce back from their low tv ratings. Between that and struggling to fill the building consistently, things could get dicey up there in the ‘Peg. Atlanta is right there waiting.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
How many years have I been hearing about the low ratings for Winnipeg and have yet to see any actual numbers released?
Ratings where?

The rights holder (TSN Jets) reports higher ratings each successive year. And probably doesn't give a fig about how the Jets draw in America.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Ratings where?

The rights holder (TSN Jets) reports higher ratings each successive year. And probably doesn't give a fig about how the Jets draw in America.

Yup, the original comment didn't make sense.

Winnipeg not being a draw for nationally broadcast games in the U.S. is unsurprising. It's why they get 0-1 regular season national TV games 'down here'.

Meanwhile, their regional broadcasts on TSN3 are mid-pack for Canadian regional broadcasts -- which means an average viewership # that is better than at least 80% of U.S. RSN broadcasts.

I'm not a Jets fan or even close to Winnipeg but the frequent misrepresentation of the Jets (viewership/attendance/revenue) is one of the worst things about this section of the BoH forum.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-NHL on TNT avg viewership last night-

Bruins-Rangers: 305k
Avs-VGK: 190k

-Annual Preseason DH on TNT History-

Bruins-Rangers: 268k
Stars-Avs: 140k

Bruins-Flyers: 232k
VGK-Kings: 133k

Viewership has gone up each season for the preseason doubleheader.

Last edited:

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
-NHL on ESPN avg viewership last night-

Predators-Lightning: 598k
Blackhawks-Penguins: 1.431M
Kraken-Golden Knights: 691k

The Point: 231k
That's a huge number for Blackhawks-Penguins. Going back to last season it seems like the NHL on Tuesdays at 8pm is a great time slot for ESPN

I'm also curious now that Bedard is in the league if we are gonna see the true power that ESPN can bring in terms of marketing cause they were jamming him down our throats during the first game, it's almost like the Preds and Lighting weren't even playing they were talking about him so much. Bedard is the first true major prospect since ESPN took over the TV rights so I wonder if they'll view him as "their superstar" if that makes sense

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I'm also curious now that Bedard is in the league if we are gonna see the true power that ESPN can bring in terms of marketing cause they were jamming him down our throats during the first game, it's almost like the Preds and Lighting weren't even playing they were talking about him so much. Bedard is the first true major prospect since ESPN took over the TV rights so I wonder if they'll view him as "their superstar" if that makes sense
Hopefully that's the case because McDavid and Matthews being stuck in Canada isn't doin shit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
-NHL on ESPN avg viewership last night-

Predators-Lightning: 598k
Blackhawks-Penguins: 1.431M
Kraken-Golden Knights: 691k

The Point: 231k
Great numbers for Hawks/Pens, but I personally think that the late game is more impressive. NHL has never had a late market that can bring close to a million as the NBA and MLB do with Dodgers and Lakers, but with the Avs good, Vegas winning the Cup, and Seattle being a great sports town, we're on the way of having decent western markets for once in the NHL.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
-NHL on TNT avg viewership last night-

Blackhawks-Bruins: 896k
Avalanche-Kings: 377k

Excluding the Winter Classic, Chicago-Boston is the most-viewed regular season NHL game in TNT history.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Hmmm...if Bedard were on CBJ or Anaheim or a Canadian team, would he still have been on national cable tv the first two games, or at least his first? I assume at least his first game.

How much lower would the rating have been ..still decent, I assume?

And just think how much higher Blackhawks vs. vs. Bruins could have been if the Bruins had won the Cup, or least gotten to the Final? The Bruins likely lost some fans after last year's upset.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hmmm...if Bedard were on CBJ or Anaheim or a Canadian team, would he still have been on national cable tv the first two games, or at least his first? I assume at least his first game.

And just think how much higher Blackhawks vs. vs. Bruins could have been if the Bruins had won the Cup, or least gotten to the Final? The Bruins likely lost some fans after last year's upset.
Games are only on TSN or Sportsnet. CBC get to show HNIC on Saturday’s but it’s a Sportsnet production.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Well, Crosby went to Pittsburgh which is a medium sized market, and he was on National TV a shit ton, even during 05-06, when they were absolute dogshit.

Ovechkin and the Caps were still featured alot even though that market was almost dead in the water in he arrived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad