NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Can someone explain how in a world with ever shrinking cable subscriptions, ratings for anything at all can be increasing, let alone setting records?
1.) how the metrics are measured have changed. Specifically out of home viewing which has boosted numbers across sports the last few years

2.) As mentioned cord cutting is mostly non-sports fan.

3.) the change this year from either a Wednesday or Monday start to starting on the weekend. Opening games had stand alone timeslots and didn’t compete with each other.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Can someone explain how in a world with ever shrinking cable subscriptions, ratings for anything at all can be increasing, let alone setting records?

Sports fans watch sports. Tons still have cable/sat.

Nielsen picks up streaming, too.

OOH plays a role in the increase over the past few years. Sports viewership was/is historically underrepresented.

Curious if Avs Jets number built up as the game went on - i.e. if people tuned in mid game because they saw it was a wild goalfest

Would think for sure some of that.

Easy to say now -those that see my comments elsewhere can confirm- but I was saying in advance -and again while the game was happening- that the Avs-Jets number could end up "surprising people."

Due to the time slot (underrated part of that) and that limited viewership would be lost to regional broadcasts (obviously a Canadian team & most Avs fans have/had to watch on espn2 rather than Altitude) ... then of course, as you said, during the game I was more convinced since it was an outstanding game.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
It seems whoever idea was it to change the start date of the Playoffs from Monday to Saturday was a wise one. Spreading out the series start dates from over three days worked.

Could tell from the schedule that Monday start was the original plan/schedule. I had guessed ESPN asked for weekend (just a guess, could have been TNT sports or both) and then it was confirmed that network(s) asked for a weekend start. Schedule was done but they pushed the playoff start date up.

Since it was asked for and changed "late" this year, that's why it was a mess with Thursday end/Saturday start, only 2 games Saturday, and teams having varying days of rest. Presume weekend start is already scheduled for next year. Regardless, it will be scheduled better which hopefully means a Wednesday end of the regular season and a 4 and 4 start over the weekend.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My theory is that hockey is attracting more casual viewers due to all the other "hosts" saying you should watch the playoffs like UrinatingTree, McAfee, and more importantly, people know which channel the games are on; ESPN and TNT. I don't really know in depth who McAfee is, but he said in the past that a problem for him is he never knew when or where the games were (on NBC). I agree that it is a lazy argument, if you want to watch, it takes seconds to google where and when a game is, but I suspect he isn't the only one who had the same ideology.

E: I also think we are seeing a slight boost when it comes to star marketing, the Jets don't get 1+ million vs "x NHL team" if MacKinnon was not playing in it.
1.) how the metrics are measured have changed. Specifically out of home viewing which has boosted numbers across sports the last few years

3.) the change this year from either a Wednesday or Monday start to starting on the weekend. Opening games had stand alone timeslots and didn’t compete with each other.
Oh so these numbers are a bit higher than normal because of that? Makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The Colorado number was likely also boosted because altitude isn’t available on many systems in Denver this the local audience had to turn to the national broadcast that live alongside the regionals in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The Colorado number was likely also boosted because altitude isn’t available on many systems in Denver this the local audience had to turn to the national broadcast that live alongside the regionals in the playoffs.

Yup, that's what I said, too.

Last year's series between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning had an AMA of 3 million. So these numbers seem low to me...

Yeah, they increase as they go. The series average was helped by the 4.4M in game 6. Games 3-5 did 3.2M, 2.6M, 3.3M, game 2 was 2.5M I believe. Not sure I had a Game 1. Not at my desk atm so kind of going off memory there, was looking at those numbers yesterday so should be accurate or close-to.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm pretty sure Altitude is back on every major cable/satellite company except Dish.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Also the NHL spent many years on terrible cable networks. Remember the games on CNBC? The plataform now are the same or better than ESPN in the 90' but the diference I think is that today sports are more relevant than a tv series that 30 years ago so getting record numbers is the norm these days in general.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The plataform now are the same or better than ESPN in the 90' but the diference I think is that today sports are more relevant than a tv series that 30 years ago so getting record numbers is the norm these days in general.

Specific to the NHL, there's also a huge difference in the amount of exclusive games on cable now to the exclusive games that were on ESPN/2 in the 90s/early 00's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad