NHL.tv/Gamecenter/Center Ice Discussion III [MOD post #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
No, and they told me it's not supported. Guess we're out of luck?

Kodi is supported on Linux, and as mentioned in the thread, someone made an NHL.tv plugin. Maybe that would work if it is not supported in browser. It would be worth a try.

Knight444

Apr 17, 2007
The condensed games feature is history. The support at twitter told me, that I should watch the recap videos instead. So 3 min recaps vs. 11 min condensed games. I am not happy about this!

Agreed entirely. The condensed games were the real allure for me. You can get a pretty good sense of the flow of a game in an 11-12 minute edited highlight package.

If you scroll to the bottom of the new 'highlights' listing, you'll see 'extended highlights,' which provides five or six minute highlights. They have been slow to post these, however, and I'm not certain whether this is a permanent fixture.

I'm not usually resistant to change, but for those who are critical I can assure you the complaints here aren't just white noise. The new system is far inferior and much less user-friendly than the old one.

Retail1LO*

Love the additional camera angles available. But what's really awesome, is how in-game highlights such as goals scored, are labeled and available for replay nearly as soon as they happen.

Knight444

Apr 17, 2007
Love the additional camera angles available. But what's really awesome, is how in-game highlights such as goals scored, are labeled and available for replay nearly as soon as they happen.

Really? The highlights in my location (downtown Toronto) aren't labelled. Each just says 'highlight', meaning one might have to view as many as 12-15 different highlight reels to find the play they are looking for..

The camera angles are kind of cool, but not really a selling point for me.

Phanatic88888

Jan 23, 2013
Wisconsin
Had that message too. No idea what it means, but it didn't seem to have an impact.

NHL.tv was much better today. Works on AppleTV and NHL.com. Still a pixelated mess on iPhone and iPad.

I unplugged the Apple TV for a few minutes, rebooted and I don't see those errors now.

60FPS is still missing. But my god, picture quality is the original broadcast truck PQ and it's beautiful. If anyone noticed. NHL was having issues with the Flyers CSN feed so they were using a commercial feed. Then when the truck feed came back, it's like the PQ doubled in quality. Plus all the NESN, FSN games don't have the score tickers on the bottom of the screen WHOOOHOOOOOO just like MLB.TV

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

CgyfanCZ

Oct 2, 2013
Czech republic
Tried PS4 NHL.TV app this morning again before I went to work, everything was crystal clear and smooth again, no problem switching between games, satisfied again. Pictures is AAA in my opinion. I had no problem with this service even for a minute last 3 days.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Plus all the NESN, FSN games don't have the score tickers on the bottom of the screen WHOOOHOOOOOO just like MLB.TV

That is the only thing that would make me consider subscribing. Hate those oversized tickers. Still not subscribing though.

So I watched the "recap" video of the Oilers-Sens game from last night, and they didn't even show all the goals in the game. :shakehead

Almost all the other games I looked at didn't even have those recap videos either. Horrible.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Yeah seems like quite a few games are missing recaps this morning. Weird.
I will miss the 10 minute extended highlights.

Thanks for the tip about the new Kodi add-on, seems it's the only way I can get to the recaps without seeing scores (or spoiler-named highlights).

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Can't watch goals on surface in the boxscore screen. Buttons on the right in the scoring list don't work.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Watched the STL/SJ game last night on the PS4. First period had multiple times where the steam would drop and kick me back out. By the start of the second period that wasn't happening anymore and it stayed stable through the rest of the game.

Picture resolution was the best I've ever seen on the PS4, however it wasn't anywhere close to 60FPS.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
As others have mentioned, I can't wrap my mind around why they released this mid season. Complete failure on their part there.

While I'm annoyed that my feed cut out 5 times during the third period Tuesday, my biggest complaint is that there are no longer the condensed highlights. Having that 11 minute video was great if I had to miss an entire game or a period. I'm not sure if they're just not getting to them now that they've got so much crap to deal with in the new system errors or if they're stopping all together but I'm going to be pissed if that's the case. It could be worse than having the 6 minute ones, but I can't even find those on my laptop.

EDIT: Does anybody know how to access the condensed highlights via the PC application through the internet? On NHL.tv I'm only finding the game stream rather than any highlights.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
IF YOU CIRCUMVENT OR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION WILL BE APPLIED TO YOUR CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND THE NHL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.

http://deadspin.com/nhl-tv-updates-...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I'm guessing this refers to the use of a VPN?

Anyway, I've watched 2 Devils games and have experienced major issues both times. Game lags/freezes when I use full screen on my laptop

Capslock17

McDaigle
Mar 25, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Mine's been broken since I bought it in October. When they go to commercials, all I see is this silent stillframe picture.

Rangers games are inexplicably blacked out despite essentially living in MA (consequently not getting MSG) as well as whatever game NHL network chooses to air on a whim the day before. Nothing worse than planning on staying home one night to watch a certain game, then finding out NHL network wants to show it and you're SOL

Last night I wanted to watch the ending of the Devils Leafs game and was told it was blacked out (yet was able to watch the Broonz/Sabres somehow)

The app needs to determine my location in order to show live games, but can't determine my location on my Iphone despite everything being enabled

Standard def Center Ice with less blackouts >>>> NHL.TV with terribly awkward silence at commercial breaks

Last edited:

Phanatic88888

Jan 23, 2013
Wisconsin
That is the only thing that would make me consider subscribing. Hate those oversized tickers. Still not subscribing though.

So I watched the "recap" video of the Oilers-Sens game from last night, and they didn't even show all the goals in the game. :shakehead

Almost all the other games I looked at didn't even have those recap videos either. Horrible.

Only $39.99 the rest of the season :nod: that and a VPN and you are set for the playoffs like me

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just noticed that the NHL app on the Apple Store put out an update yesterday, Version 7.0.2. It highlights "performance improvements". That may clear up some of this NHL.tv mess.

Derfel*

Android app version 2.02 ACTUALLY OPENS PAST THE LOADING SCREEN. I have never been so excited to see 12 hour old scores.

Now let's see if it actually casts to my Chromecast or not.

By the way - there are no laws against spoofing locations to get around blackouts.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
IF YOU CIRCUMVENT OR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION WILL BE APPLIED TO YOUR CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND THE NHL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.

http://deadspin.com/nhl-tv-updates-...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Then do away with blackouts. If you are paying for a premium service, you should be able to watch all games, live.
What a joke.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Then do away with blackouts. If you are paying for a premium service, you should be able to watch all games, live.
What a joke.

For whatever reason when I signed up this season I was able to get local games that would normally be blacked out, so I thought they had changed their policy. Now with the update though it's back to full on local blackouts.

MB1

Mar 26, 2005
Android app version 2.02 ACTUALLY OPENS PAST THE LOADING SCREEN. I have never been so excited to see 12 hour old scores.

Now let's see if it actually casts to my Chromecast or not.

By the way - there are no laws against spoofing locations to get around blackouts.

Truth.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
The Kodi app works very well, now I can see 720p60 as it was on GCL, thanks a lot to the developer!!!
The quality doesn't look so glorious HD as it was on GCL, but it's pretty good too.

Still, those ****ing commercials in the archived games!!!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
What a joke.

I don't think NBC and all of the local channels who pay for TV rights would be happy about that.

It's funny because I've had Center Ice and now Gamecenter/NHL.tv since like, 2003? Maybe earlier? Basically when it was first launched. It always has been marketed for the "out of town" fan to watch non-local games.

Basically what you're asking for, is the industry to completely change. I'm not against it per se, but as of now, it hasn't.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
NHL.tv app isn't available in Europe.

Only available in USA, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Peru, Brazil......

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't think NBC and all of the local channels who pay for TV rights would be happy about that.

It's funny because I've had Center Ice and now Gamecenter/NHL.tv since like, 2003? Maybe earlier? Basically when it was first launched. It always has been marketed for the "out of town" fan to watch non-local games.

Basically what you're asking for, is the industry to completely change. I'm not against it per se, but as of now, it hasn't.

I agree, but the industry is already changing.

HBO has released streaming only versions of their content as has Showtime and other channels. Sports programming is the last content cable providers are desperately clinging to so people will buy their services, but eventually that will probably go away as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad