NHL.tv/Gamecenter/Center Ice Discussion III [MOD post #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've really been liking GCL this year. It's been smooth, even though I wish they would allow the commercial breaks. I always thought with this streaming service that you're not just paying for the game, but you're paying for the access to the channel, games and all. At least they leave in the Intermission breaks this year so that's good.

Has there been any more talk about what can we expect in January. Will the service change quite a bit because MLB AM is taking over? Will we have to endure the crappy Kenny Rodgers geico ad over and over and over? Will the Elvis ad come back that was played over and over and over during the MLB season? Why don't they allow the local ads anyway. Most of it is just national anyway, specifically with Cars and the like.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is Gamecentre still free for Rogers customers with shared programs? I just noticed I can still use it on my iPad but Rogers is selling it as part of a cell package.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Are there no blackout rules in Canada?

I can somehow get every game on local TV (SN/CBC/City) without a problem. Even the Jets game when i'm in their broadcast area.

Pugs135

Jan 7, 2013
This is my first year with GCL and I have to say I like the options and fact that I can use it at home or work much better than center ice. CI never had the free preview on my fios this year.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I've shared GCL with roommates in the past year but bought my own membership this year.

Few funny notes:
I live in Vermont so Bruins games should be blacked out. And they are blacked out if I'm trying to watch from my home. But, if I go to work I can actually watch Bruins games even though I work just a few miles away in th same city. No idea. I checked my IP and it's not proxyd somewhere else so I'm confused.

It may be because I work for a TV station, and we cover all local sports including Bruins. Maybe GCL allows for wifi at "media places"? Anyone have any ideas?

I am really exctied, as I bought GCL not expecting to even be able to watch any Bruins games. And I work nights at the station so it's perfect to load up a game on my tablet during break or while I'm working at my desk.

_________

Another (bad) issue is I get a dumb AirPlay watermark on my iPad watching GCL when I'm using my wireless headphones. Since my headphones use Bluetooth it shows this big watermark in the center of my screen. Kind of annoying sometimes if I'm trying to listen in silence. Anyone have this issue and found a fix?

Other than that I'm extremely happy with my purchase

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I switched to Roger GCL this season after having CI for the past 7 years. It nicely came for free as past of my phone/tablet share everything plan. I find it to be fantastic. I am running it through my PS4 on the main TV, through chromecast in the master bedroom and ensuite. Also having it on my phone, laptop and tablets is great. I also bought a slingbox 500 to "sling" blackout games that I get on Satellite back to my portable devices. I have enjoyed some classic games, I like choosing the home or away broadcaster and the fact I can start the game anytime without having to PVR it.

The only drawbacks are having to get amore expensive internet package to stream the games. $9.00 a month. My provider promod $115 off my bill so the 1st year of upgrade is essentially free. I had dinosaur internet compared to what is now available.

I also lost my "casting" icon from my phone to my google chromecast last night. I will have to find a way to fix it. I erased the Rogers NHL app and re-loaded it and nothing happened. Edit: fixed by unplugging chromecast and plugging back in.

So far I am very pleased.

Last edited:

PL1

Oct 4, 2015
Roku Working Great this year

Just saying, watching the games on a Roku3 this year has been great. No stuttering or delays and no pause/catch-ups at all. It does take forever to build a buffer (probably because I'm on a 6/1 Mbps connection), but once the picture starts, it has been perfect. (Knock on wood.)

That said, last year the roku was un-useable for the first half of the season. I was forced to use my PC hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable. Not that the PC doesn't work, but it is much easier with a Roku Remote which has a 10 sec skip back, or forward. And the schedule interface is great. And I don't have to jump hoops to log in, like the PC, apps. The Roku is always logged in. Just open the app and start watching. :)

What was Really annoying last year is that GCL forced us to upgrade to the Roku3, orphaning the Roku2. I didn't mind that so much, but I was not too happy when the Roku3 was not working properly. :shakehead

My only issue, like others have said, is it would be nice to have something to watch besides an NHL logo between face-offs and periods. Generally, I wait until approximately the second period to start watching, and skip the breaks, so this issue is for watching live. Otherwise I could care less.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Got GCL, however my DVD player is NOT a Sony but an LG.
Wanted to know what to do so I can stream the game on my TV.

Should I get rokutv or apple tv? I'm looking for the most basic/cheapest user-friendly method with a 47 inch TV.
Alternatively, I heard rumors that since MLB tookover eventually streaming will be available on all DVDs besides Sony, so might it be better to wait?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Should I get rokutv or apple tv? I'm looking for the most basic/cheapest user-friendly method with a 47 inch TV.
Alternatively, I heard rumors that since MLB tookover eventually streaming will be available on all DVDs besides Sony, so might it be better to wait?

If you have a lot of apple products then the Apple TV is a good choice, but it's kind of clunky, glitchy, and definitely a lot less apps than the Roku.

Apple TV has maybe 75 apps whereas Roku has like 2000+ and a universal search feature

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

It's a personal preference. I dig the roku because of all the Hockey Podcasts and TSN/Sportsnet radio stations I can listen to on it across Canada in addition to the sports packages.

Either that or hook up your computer to the TV via HDMI.

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Does anyone else have a completely messed up french stream for the Habs game tonight at the highest quality setting? It's a green, pixelated screen. Maybe they're fixing the framerate afterall.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I'm completely clueless when it comes to technology. Does the new Apple TV have a higher quality GCL stream than the original Apply TV? I'm trying to decide which Apple TV to purchase and GCL is the only app that I care about. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
I'm completely clueless when it comes to technology. Does the new Apple TV have a higher quality GCL stream than the original Apply TV? I'm trying to decide which Apple TV to purchase and GCL is the only app that I care about. Any help is greatly appreciated!

As far as I know it should be the same. The divide in quality only exists between the browser version and the "app" version. Though some devices have trouble with buffering on the app, so you can get a lot of stutters. If you had that experience (buffering, constantly changing quality) the new device might fix it.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I hate the quality on my xbox 1, ps3 and ps4. On my 60" tv the quality is somewhere just a step up from sd and hd. I do like the ease of use through the multi system apps or watching on my phone.

Overall id prefer to have center ice through satellite but i believe this is a step up from time warners center ice package. Time warner only carries 2 hd games eventhough all games are broadcast in hd these days and you can not choose your broadcast

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
I hate the quality on my xbox 1, ps3 and ps4. On my 60" tv the quality is somewhere just a step up from sd and hd. I do like the ease of use through the multi system apps or watching on my phone.

Overall id prefer to have center ice through satellite but i believe this is a step up from time warners center ice package. Time warner only carries 2 hd games eventhough all games are broadcast in hd these days and you can not choose your broadcast

Have you tried a roku 3?

That gave me the best quality I was able to get out of GCL last year. Better than a roku 2 and much better than connecting the laptop to the tv. Still had some periodic buffering issues though.

FWIW I'm using CI through Verizon FIOS this year. Every game has been in HD so far and the PQ is very good. Obviously no streaming issues... Well worth the extra $ if you already have FIOS otherwise I'd probably go with GCL again which has the advantage that I can use it from anywhere on the internet.

No playoffs for either of these options though...

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Ok, just got my new Apple TV 4. Wow, the stream is crap.

To this point, I have been using chromecast from my iphone 6. The stream has been really good but the issue is convienance. It is not really that great to have to use your phone to cast to your TV. So my thought was, that I would pony up some cash, buy the new Apple TV 4 and get the GCL app. Well the app is cool, it is easy to find old games and scores etc. But the stream. Wow. It sucks.

I looked in the settings and everything but no luck. I will try it again tonight. But there is no way it should look like it does. It is horrible.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Ok, just got my new Apple TV 4. Wow, the stream is crap.

To this point, I have been using chromecast from my iphone 6. The stream has been really good but the issue is convienance. It is not really that great to have to use your phone to cast to your TV. So my thought was, that I would pony up some cash, buy the new Apple TV 4 and get the GCL app. Well the app is cool, it is easy to find old games and scores etc. But the stream. Wow. It sucks.

I looked in the settings and everything but no luck. I will try it again tonight. But there is no way it should look like it does. It is horrible.

In which way does it suck ?
I've got the 2nd generation ATV and it's flawless.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Question about Center Ice for Directv. I've tried recording the season for the Wings games but it seems to only record the opponents feed. Is there anyway to have it only record the Wings feed? I also have it set as the Wings as a favorite team.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
In which way does it suck ?
I've got the 2nd generation ATV and it's flawless.

Really? Admiringly this is my first apple tv, so I can not compare to previous versions. But compared to the google chromecast (first generation) casting from my phone it is horrendous in both resolution and refresh speed. The play is choppy and if you stand close to the TV, the resolution is pixelated.

I may try a different HDMI port tonight. Perhaps that is what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad