NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
For those familiar with ESPN+, can you start a game from the beginning when the game is already halfway through, similar to NHL.TV allowed?

I have three kids and it's pretty rare I start a game on time. More often than not I start watching the game after it's already completed.

It works like a dvr

Reactions: Ararana

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
For those familiar with ESPN+, can you start a game from the beginning when the game is already halfway through, similar to NHL.TV allowed?

I have three kids and it's pretty rare I start a game on time. More often than not I start watching the game after it's already completed.

Nope. Not as of yet. It's one of my biggest issues with the service moving to ESPN+, because I often watch the same way you do.

Instead, you've got perform some sort of contortionist's trick, holding up a hand to cover where the score would be while rewinding to try to find the start of the game.

Or if you wait until the game is over to watch the replay, they show the full game time on the DVR controls--say, 2:34:36, which would clearly indicate a game didn't go to overtime, which would matter a lot if your team is down a goal with a few minutes to play. Pretty obvious what the outcome will be. Same as if the full game time is something like 2:56:29, which pretty much guarantees there's a shootout. A lot of people who see that won't even watch the game then, just the highlights.

becky4015

Sep 11, 2014
No more NHL TV for US residents:

Where to Stream
Starting with the 2021-22 season, out-of-market games will stream in the following products:
ESPN+ (US Users Only)
Starting next season, hockey has a new home on ESPN+. Access over 1000 out-of-market games and 75 exclusive games (US users only).
For more information about ESPN+ or to purchase, click here
COUNTRIES AVAILABLE: United States

Sooooo, my question is will the 69.99/yr fee include the out-of-market games, or will the be an additional fee? If there is, seems like a sneaky way to force you to become a subscriber of ESPN+. If there isn't, it is a big saving as 69.99/yr is better than 145/yr. I will miss the NHL GameCenter interface, I wonder if ESPN+ will have the same type of interface, you can choose video feeds, a lot of info about games displayed while watching, or just give you a bare bones version. of watching the game?

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017

Where to Stream
Starting with the 2021-22 season, out-of-market games will stream in the following products:
ESPN+ (US Users Only)
Starting next season, hockey has a new home on ESPN+. Access over 1000 out-of-market games and 75 exclusive games (US users only).

Sooooo, my question is will the 69.99/yr fee include the out-of-market games, or will the be an additional fee? If there is, seems like a sneaky way to force you to become a subscriber of ESPN+. If there isn't, it is a big saving as 69.99/yr is better than 145/yr. I will miss the NHL GameCenter interface, I wonder if ESPN+ will have the same type of interface, you can choose video feeds, a lot of info about games displayed while watching, or just give you a bare bones version. of watching the game?
This is my question as well. All that hockey for the price of an ESPN+ subscription seems like a steal compared to NHL tv or NHL Center Ice prices.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I called NHL TV. They claim that they will not automatically bill subscribers. So its a wrap. It will still exist as far as video clips on and such but the games are on ESPN+ and if you try to subscribe you will be redirected to ESPN+.

Reactions: Azrael89

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal

Where to Stream
ESPN+ (US Users Only)

People keep asking this same question, but there’s been no indication that it doesn’t come with the out of market games, and since we’re so close to the season, I think it’s a pretty safe bet that it is included.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Where to Stream
ESPN+ (US Users Only)

If it's like other stuff on ESPN+ (I watch some Bundesliga soccer and the FA Cup and League Cup and some other leagues occasionally on there), then it's bare bones. You can pick your feed, and you can pause and rewind and fast-forward, but you can't start a game in the middle from the beginning, you can't hide the time of game on replay, etc.

Maybe they'll improve stuff between now and October for the NHL--I mean, they own this better technology and interface, right?--but at this point I'm steeling myself for a let-down.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Most ppl don’t honestly. That’s why so many are cutting out cable/satellite. You have a few go to channels but then 95% of the channels you don’t even look at. It’s a waste. Streaming services like Hulu and others etc give you a lot of up to date shows a day or two later if you truly care about certain shows. But if it’s not for you, the route you are going is perfect.

Ya it’s crazy… we were spending almost 160 a mo for our stupid triple play package with Verizon… but no one ever called us on our regular phone and we never watched anything but NFL and NHL games on our cable.

My wife kept saying it’s time to cut the cord, but I was all weird about it - “I dunno about getting rid of the main phone line and how do I get NFL games without cable - ohs nos!”

When they bumped us up to 180 a mo I had enough.

Got my antenna now, and know all the tricks to watch what I want and can’t believe how stupid I was.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Nope. Not as of yet. It's one of my biggest issues with the service moving to ESPN+, because I often watch the same way you do.

Instead, you've got perform some sort of contortionist's trick, holding up a hand to cover where the score would be while rewinding to try to find the start of the game.

Or if you wait until the game is over to watch the replay, they show the full game time on the DVR controls--say, 2:34:36, which would clearly indicate a game didn't go to overtime, which would matter a lot if your team is down a goal with a few minutes to play. Pretty obvious what the outcome will be. Same as if the full game time is something like 2:56:29, which pretty much guarantees there's a shootout. A lot of people who see that won't even watch the game then, just the highlights.
What products have all those features you describe? I ditched nhl.tv because it had all of those issues and went illegal streams because it had all the features i want

SportsPhysio

Jun 18, 2021
DIRECTV is still advertising the Center Ice package on their website. While it’s more expensive, I appreciate the ease of use. The way I rationalize it, the annual cost is still less than it would be for me to take my family to ONE game (especially being an Islander fan living in Alabama). I already have an ESPN+ subscription, so I’ll at least give that a shot the first few weeks to see how well/poor it works.

Hopefully the DIRECTV option doesn’t disappear before the season starts.

Reactions: FMichael

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
What products have all those features you describe? I ditched nhl.tv because it had all of those issues and went illegal streams because it had all the features i want

NHL.tv had all of those on the Roku, where I watched most games. That was nice. It was different on some other devices, I'll admit. Trying to watch a replay on the iPad while working out or something was frustrating because of how it would give away the game time in a way you couldn't really miss, for instance.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
DIRECTV is still advertising the Center Ice package on their website. While it’s more expensive, I appreciate the ease of use. The way I rationalize it, the annual cost is still less than it would be for me to take my family to ONE game (especially being an Islander fan living in Alabama). I already have an ESPN+ subscription, so I’ll at least give that a shot the first few weeks to see how well/poor it works.

Hopefully the DIRECTV option doesn’t disappear before the season starts.
my guess is you would have to subscribe to espn and tnt to watch games they televise nationally while direct tv's center ice pkg will carry all the out of market regional sports network feeds which would still net you a majority of nyi games .

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I just received my reminder for NHL Center Ice from direct tv indicating I will be billed 3 payments of 23.99. ($71.97)
Looks like a discount for NHLCI this year.

Well, I wonder if us Europeans will get fleeced, seeing as Americans get around 50% discount after the transition to ESPN+.

I was asked to pay almost €150 for the last full NHL.tv season. It was over €100 for the last shortened season.

The price for NHL.tv kept rising for me over the last few seasons, to the tune of a dozen euros, or so, of price hike per season.

No notification for me from NHL.tv so far, as to whether the subscription will be prolonged in the upcoming weeks, and at what price.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Well, I wonder if us Europeans will get fleeced, seeing as Americans get around 50% discount after the transition to ESPN+.

I was asked to pay almost €150 for the last full NHL.tv season. It was over €100 for the last shortened season.

The price for NHL.tv kept rising for me over the last few seasons, to the tune of a dozen euros, or so, of price hike per season.

No notification for me from NHL.tv so far, as to whether the subscription will be prolonged in the upcoming weeks, and at what price.
if I buy nhl tv its listed at 179 canadian (stream through my roku) or 209 canadian through bell tv so we're getting soaked like you compared to the new U.S espn + plan ,

I'm still weighing my options because I'm new to streaming and dont want to waste 179 if the picture quality sucks verses what I'm already used to after having centre ice through bell for several years with very few hiccups

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
if I buy nhl tv its listed at 179 canadian (stream through my roku) or 209 canadian through bell tv so we're getting soaked like you compared to the new U.S espn + plan ,

I'm still weighing my options because I'm new to streaming and dont want to waste 179 if the picture quality sucks verses what I'm already used to after having centre ice through bell for several years with very few hiccups

The picture quality with NHL.tv has been great over the last few seasons. I have a 48-inch Samsung TV set, and I usually use an Apple TV box to stream the games. But it also works for me via Chromecast from an Android device, or via Apple Air Play from an Apple device (iPads here).

So, the quality is OK, and I'm willing to shell out another €150 or so for the upcoming season if necessary, but it would still suck if US viewers would get a 50% discount thanks to ESPN+, while the rest of us would be expected to pay double the amount. :(

Reactions: Isles72

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm a Rangers fan in California - what will I need to watch my team this year? Unsure how the ESPN plus situation figures in/

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm a Rangers fan in California - what will I need to watch my team this year? Unsure how the ESPN plus situation figures in/
Is that in addition to center ice ?
As of now there hasn't been any of an additional fee for the season pass (what was NHL TV) that will allow you to watch out of market games - although that could change. ESPN+ also has 'exclusive games' that will not be aired outside of that streaming channel.

I myself just 'cut the cord' yesterday - discontinued DirecTV - purchased a Roku Ultra - set up for YouTube TV - prepaid for the year for ESPN+.

Wouldn't surprise me if cable/satellite based NHL Center Ice sees a large decline in subscriptions.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I just received my reminder for NHL Center Ice from direct tv indicating I will be billed 3 payments of 23.99. ($71.97)
Looks like a discount for NHLCI this year.
It is $60 on Cox. I was wondering why it was so inexpensive. Probably because of games on Espn and to get any lost viewers over the last two seasons.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
New living situation, and I haven't needed Center Ice or any streaming for the last several years (and may still not) because of other things available to me...

I'm in the NYC market (Rangers, Isles, Devils)...it seems like from my reading that both Center Ice and ESPN+ will see me get blacked out of a lot of intra-divisional Penguins games. I'm aware of MSG Go, but I'm not aware of its capabilities...I need to be able to watch live, restart while in progress, and be able to watch the next day or even two days later.

From my readings on the subject, it sounds like I'll need to get ESPN+ and then something for the local stuff - but I can't tell if MSG Go is available for folks who don't have cable...and it doesn't like ESPN+ is going to skip over blackouts...

So, I guess I have to get a VPN out in front of my smart TV and then go the ESPN+ route...? Is that the most efficient thing to do in my stream of consciousness post...?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
New living situation, and I haven't needed Center Ice or any streaming for the last several years (and may still not) because of other things available to me...

I'm in the NYC market (Rangers, Isles, Devils)...it seems like from my reading that both Center Ice and ESPN+ will see me get blacked out of a lot of intra-divisional Penguins games. I'm aware of MSG Go, but I'm not aware of its capabilities...I need to be able to watch live, restart while in progress, and be able to watch the next day or even two days later.

From my readings on the subject, it sounds like I'll need to get ESPN+ and then something for the local stuff - but I can't tell if MSG Go is available for folks who don't have cable...and it doesn't like ESPN+ is going to skip over blackouts...

So, I guess I have to get a VPN out in front of my smart TV and then go the ESPN+ route...? Is that the most efficient thing to do in my stream of consciousness post...?

Long time NY area resident...

MSG Go is only available to Cable Subscribers who already have access to MSG via their cable subscription. So you would need some other solution like Fubo TV, a cord cutting service who carries MSG, for example.

I've heard it's pretty expensive and doesn't have great reviews and you'd be paying for multiple streaming services.

Your best bet is to go the VPN on top of ESPN+/Game Center to circumevent the BS blackouts.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad