NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I recommend you access the NHL site, and cancel the automatic subscription renewal, if it's still possible to do so.
When this last season ended, and we learned that NHL awarded the upcoming season coverage to ESPN, I quickly went to the NHL site and un-checked the box for automatic subscription renewal. During this past season, NHL.TV had a some hiccups impacting subscription renewals, so I opted not to take a chance on them messing it up again.
Now just waiting to see where and when I will need to sign up for the coming season.

Its no longer possible to do that. If you try to get to subscription settings it said you to ESPN+

Reactions: Mach2

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
If you think about it, going from a Satellite to an internet cable will be cord adding, not cutting.
I've kept my satellite pkg through bell canada but downgraded to the second lowest tier and removed crave/hbo . I subscribed to netflix through Roku mainly because we've watched most of the interesting crave/hbo series already and heard that netflix has more crime docs that are my main viewing interest. By doing so I'm saving aprox 40$ a month by combining satt/streaming .

If I stream through nhl tv it seems as though it would be 179 canadian earlybird verses aprox 210 canadian thru bell . I just need to weigh the pros and cons.

most of time I watch the first 2 periods then fall asleep (dvr the game though) and watch the rest the next afternoon so with nhl tv I'll be able to do this without having to set the dvr on the satt

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada

My wireless speed is pretty good.
so I've done this a dozen time in the past hour on my desktop computer and I'm getting anywhere from 150 to 218 on the download and the upload part is consistently at 11 ' ish /

I guess thats good enough to stream live sports or should I be checking this on my laptop to see what it does wireless since my desktop is obviously hard wired to modum

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
so I've done this a dozen time in the past hour on my desktop computer and I'm getting anywhere from 150 to 218 on the download and the upload part is consistently at 11 ' ish /

I guess thats good enough to stream live sports or should I be checking this on my laptop to see what it does wireless since my desktop is obviously hard wired to modum
Yeah - try the speed test with your laptop if you are looking to watch games on your smart TVs.

CaptainCrunch28

Jun 1, 2019
I have espn+ and last season you’d usually get around one (sometimes two) games each night. Rarely there’d be days where there’d be zero

are you saying having espn+ will get you all of the out of market games just like center ice did? Or will it be the same as last season where you get one maybe 2 games a night?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So if we sign up for espn+ you can watch every game of your favorite team??? Basically it's replacing NHL.TV?
I have espn+ and last season you’d usually get around one (sometimes two) games each night. Rarely there’d be days where there’d be zero

are you saying having espn+ will get you all of the out of market games just like center ice did? Or will it be the same as last season where you get one maybe 2 games a night?

Well - ESPN+ is replacing NHLTV - however at this point in time I do not know if the entire season (what was NHLTV or NHL Center Ice) is included with the monthly fee OR if there's an additional $120-$140 charge for those out of market games.

Keep in mind - ESPN+ also has 75 yearly 'exclusive' games that no other network here in the USA can air...TNT/TBS will air games, but like ESPN/ESPN2 those channels are on most basic cable/satellite tv (if you are totally cutting the cord like I might do myself with DirecTV - I found that YouTube TV offers streaming content like any cable provider - as in their programming includes the 4 sports channels I mentioned earlier as part of their package - sumthin to think about).

Long story short - many in here at HF Boards are under the impression that the ESPN+ monthly fee of $6.99 per month covers it all.

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
I wonder how people who are happy with the move to ESPN because of “brand recognition” feel about 75 games being exclusively on stream. What are local bars going to do when the home team has an ESPN+ exclusive game? Hook a firestick up to every TV? That part of the deal sounds like a disaster

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I wonder how people who are happy with the move to ESPN because of “brand recognition” feel about 75 games being exclusively on stream. What are local bars going to do when the home team has an ESPN+ exclusive game? Hook a firestick up to every TV? That part of the deal sounds like a disaster
Me personally - I'm not too happy and think (as expected) the NHL wasn't thinking about us whom rely upon NHL Center Ice or NHL TV but instead the $$$ ESPN/Disney was going to bring in...Plus the way ESPN treated the league back in the early 2000s - preferring to show poker tournaments instead of NHL games - all in all I think it's a dumb move, but a move I can understand since it's all about $$$.

Since 1999 I've been spoiled with having NHL Center Ice (1st with Time Warner Cable - then DISH - then DirecTV) and with that it included every game unless it was going to be aired on ESPN/ESPN2 - OLN/VS/NBCSN.

I never had to worry about which provider I was going to subscribe to since it was all covered, but now with this deal with ESPN/Disney - that changes everything (unless of course ESPN+ is offered on DirecTV as a monthly additional fee, but I won't hold my breath).

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
For those familiar with ESPN+, can you start a game from the beginning when the game is already halfway through, similar to NHL.TV allowed?

I have three kids and it's pretty rare I start a game on time. More often than not I start watching the game after it's already completed.

CaptainCrunch28

Jun 1, 2019
Probably just not play it. Lol it’s hockey I doubt anyone would even notice. Hockey has really went downhill the past 5 or so years

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Me personally - I'm not too happy and think (as expected) the NHL wasn't thinking about us whom rely upon NHL Center Ice or NHL TV but instead the $$$ ESPN/Disney was going to bring in...Plus the way ESPN treated the league back in the early 2000s - preferring to show poker tournaments instead of NHL games - all in all I think it's a dumb move, but a move I can understand since it's all about $$$.

Since 1999 I've been spoiled with having NHL Center Ice (1st with Time Warner Cable - then DISH - then DirecTV) and with that it included every game unless it was going to be aired on ESPN/ESPN2 - OLN/VS/NBCSN.

I never had to worry about which provider I was going to subscribe to since it was all covered, but now with this deal with ESPN/Disney - that changes everything (unless of course ESPN+ is offered on DirecTV as a monthly additional fee, but I won't hold my breath).
if espn+ is whats replacing centre ice pkg in USA why wouldnt direct t.v have it available for you ?

I contacted Bell Canada and they're still going to carry centre ice (209 earlybird) so I'd imagine an outfit like Direct t.v would too via the espn+ badge

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
if espn+ is whats replacing centre ice pkg in USA why wouldnt direct t.v have it available for you ?

I contacted Bell Canada and they're still going to carry centre ice (209 earlybird) so I'd imagine an outfit like Direct t.v would too via the espn+ badge
ESPN+ is apparently taking over NHLTV (streaming).

NHL Center Ice here in 'Murica is either satellite or cable tv.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If I don't have cable and only have the Amazon FireStick, how can I watch NHL games in Canada?
Is SN NOW+ the only option?

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I'm still confused about whether I'm gonna have to pay for NHL TV on top of ESPN+ or not. NHL TV automatically redirects to ESPN+ website now.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
If I don't have cable and only have the Amazon FireStick, how can I watch NHL games in Canada?
Is SN NOW+ the only option?
Not sure to be honest since I'm in the States...Since ESPN/Disney and TNT/TBS got involved - programming has changed if you stream...From what I understand if you still have cable/satellite you should be able to purchase the NHL Center Ice package in Canada.

I'm still confused about whether I'm gonna have to pay for NHL TV on top of ESPN+ or not. NHL TV automatically redirects to ESPN+ website now.
I'm hoping to find this out too - the wording is a bit vague as to what ESPN+ will broadcast and for what pricing.

All I know is that ESPN+ will carry 75 games a season (part of the monthly fee) and what was NHLTV for out of market games (not sure if this is part of the monthly fee or an extra $120-$140 for the season).

Reactions: Azrael89

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Some info about ESPN+: At this point, we really don't know for sure what NHL games will be offered on ESPN+ in the USA. ESPN+ requires internet. For now, if you have internet and also get ESPN thru your Direct TV satellite pkg, or cable TV, or an internet streaming service, etc., then you can also get to ESPN+ right now, if your TV has the ESPN app, or if you use a home computer, or if you use a separate streaming device (e.g. Roku) for your TV. Once you open the ESPN app, you will see the options to select ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ESPN+,etc. ESPN+ costs extra at $6.99/month plus taxes. There is usually a free trial period offered for ESPN+.
On your computer, you can go to the ESPN site, then look for ESPN+ in the banner area; just click on it to get started. OR look for Watch ESPN in the same area, and you can see what else is being offered currently and in the future on the various ESPN platforms. In previous years on ESPN+, there were quite of number NHL games offered ON DEMAND for several days after the initial broadcast.
I recently renewed my ESPN+ subscription in order to watch the full array of tennis matches now at the U.S. Open tournament, and this subscription should still be in effect at the start of the NHL season.
I also understand that Direct TV has just introduced Direct TV Streaming at various pkg price levels with some DVR options, which may be worth looking at for the coming NHL season.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Some info about ESPN+: At this point, we really don't know for sure what NHL games will be offered on ESPN+ in the USA. ESPN+ requires internet. For now, if you have internet and also get ESPN thru your Direct TV satellite pkg, or cable TV, or an internet streaming service, etc., then you can also get to ESPN+ right now, if your TV has the ESPN app, or if you use a home computer, or if you use a separate streaming device (e.g. Roku) for your TV. Once you open the ESPN app, you will see the options to select ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ESPN+,etc. ESPN+ costs extra at $6.99/month plus taxes. There is usually a free trial period offered for ESPN+.
On your computer, you can go to the ESPN site, then look for ESPN+ in the banner area; just click on it to get started. OR look for Watch ESPN in the same area, and you can see what else is being offered currently and in the future on the various ESPN platforms. In previous years on ESPN+, there were quite of number NHL games offered ON DEMAND for several days after the initial broadcast.
I recently renewed my ESPN+ subscription in order to watch the full array of tennis matches now at the U.S. Open tournament, and this subscription should still be in effect at the start of the NHL season.
I also understand that Direct TV has just introduced Direct TV Streaming at various pkg price levels with some DVR options, which may be worth looking at for the coming NHL season.
I just saw that today as well (DirecTV offering a streaming service)...From what I can tell it'll compete with YouTube TV.

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Apologies: I just realized that some of my earlier posts on different HF threads have mentioned 25 September as being the start of the new NHL season. However, this is not correct. The NHL preseason games start on 25 Sept. The 2021-2022 NHL season officially starts on 12 October, which makes more sense. Sorry for any confusion caused by this error. :confused:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That does sound very enticing!

I just need to man up and go thru with cutting the cord from DirecTV...I'd like to add some streaming channels to watch though along with ESPN+...YouTube TV appears to have some solid packages available to subscribe to.

I cut the cord last year and am really happy I finally smartened up.

Sling is a great service (and cheaper).

Sometimes it’s annoying switching between Blue and Orange to get a channel you want to say, watch a game on ESPN, but it’s not a big deal once you get used to it.

You can also get both packages for like $50 a mo, but I don’t watch enough of it to be worth it.

I basically cancel when football season is over and it’s not a big hassle to send back my rental gear and reconnect like you would with Verizon.

We save an easy $700-800 a year now since we cut the cord - surprised I didn’t do it years ago - but once you learn the hoops to jump through to watch what you want, it’s no big deal.

I’ve discovered that I don’t really watch much TV outside of NFL, NHL and Netflix.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I cut the cord last year and am really happy I finally smartened up.

Sling is a great service (and cheaper).

Sometimes it’s annoying switching between Blue and Orange to get a channel you want to say, watch a game on ESPN, but it’s not a big deal once you get used to it.

You can also get both packages for like $50 a mo, but I don’t watch enough of it to be worth it.

I basically cancel when football season is over and it’s not a big hassle to send back my rental gear and reconnect like you would with Verizon.

We save an easy $700-800 a year now since we cut the cord - surprised I didn’t do it years ago - but once you learn the hoops to jump through to watch what you want, it’s no big deal.

I’ve discovered that I don’t really watch much TV outside of NFL, NHL and Netflix.

Most ppl don’t honestly. That’s why so many are cutting out cable/satellite. You have a few go to channels but then 95% of the channels you don’t even look at. It’s a waste. Streaming services like Hulu and others etc give you a lot of up to date shows a day or two later if you truly care about certain shows. But if it’s not for you, the route you are going is perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad